• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Khaot1c

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Transitioning from the military to civilian life is....interesting. My introduction to the "VA system" is filing my claim for disability compensation. The VA contracts a bunch of doctors and labs to perform the assessment.
    I get a letter in the mail instructing me to be at a certain office with a date and time of the appointment. Of course it isn't until I get to the appointments that I learn the FULL spectrum of the tests they are about to run. And the per-requirements like fasting.

But damn if those lab techs weren't ready to collect things from my body before it was ready to give them up.....

I know it's all for a cause and that a million other people have gone through it before me. But none of my friends who have retired before me "explained" this part of the process. And damnit I get cranky when I'm hungry :mod:

Chaos

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Don't miss any of those apt or you get delayed big time in the final processing of your claim. if you have any questions send me a pm and I might be able to answer any questions you may have going through the process. Mark

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Only took me 3 years to get my first and another 3 to get my second. On a good note the new program allowing us to use civilian Docs paid off. After putting off my colonoscopy for 3 years of the VA canceling appts I got my first one at 65. Doc said I was full of polyps (removed 13) and 2-3 years at the most of having cancer.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Don't worry Frank will tell you everything there might bad be about the VA,Trust me. He got his disabilty and is getting his check and mileage just fine now. Don't know his %. I have had 3 coloin checkup with no problem from the VA but that is Frank.

Be prepaired for alot of tests from them because they do like to take alot of blood and from my experance spare no test if you let them know what is bothering you. Some tests are only good for 3 months so it is back to the lab again.

From what I read if you are applying for disability they really check it closer now than they used to because so many people are cheating the system. To many drawing 100% and working hard jobs for 20 years. Being retired and meeting people from all over the country you would be suprised how many vets are doing it.

Don't know what yours is but be prepared to wait awhile before all the hoops are jumped through. It's hard to not get upset and going off on the wrong person and getting your claim it lost in the shuffel so to speak. A phone call or two the right person ususlly gets things strightened out. Just be paitent(SP) and if you are really not happy with your DR you can and should ask for another DR.

Good luck and thank you for your service.

Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    wait...wait...here it comes!

The Veterans Administration is offering free gun locks to former military members -- but wants some key personal information in exchange.

Veterans have received forms recently from the VA with an enticing offer of up to four gun locks. The only catch… they need to return a completed form listing their name, address and the number of guns in the home, according to the Washington Times.

“Dear Veteran, a letter sent from the VA’s Philadelphia office reads, “As your partner in health care, we are committed to keeping you and your family safe…If you own a gun, we hope you will request and use a gun lock. As a Veteran, you already know about the importance of firearm safety.”

ReelGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The AMVETS can also be of assistance in answering questions on the process of claims. As well as offering many other programs for veterans.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    the American Legion helped me out several years ago. i called them up and gave them some info .. they told me that someone from my local post would contact me the next day .. they did .. had an appt with the VA in p'cola within 8 days. --- SAWMAN

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I went through the process in Feb 2011. Just go to your appointments and it's a pretty painless process. I called all of the places I had appointments for to see if there were any special requirements like fasting. If you have any joint, spine or arthritis issues be prepared to spend a half day in the x-ray department at White Wilson. They took 354 x-rays during my VA exit exam; 8 angles of all my joints and each section of spine. After it was all done it took 13 months from my retirement date for them to make a determination. Being proactive and asking questions early are the keys to being happy(relative) in the VA system.
    My only observation with the VA health care system is that the annual physical could be done as a phone consult, worst physical I've ever had, but that is the only thing I've used them for in the last 3 years.

Top Bottom