• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    And this little piggy came home with me yesterday afternoon. Had three hogs come running in on me at lightning speed yesterday about 5pm. I was in my climber in a new spot. I was VERY high in this tree to try and get a good vantage point on a lot of the area. The wind was howling too. I was moving about 1-2 feet in each direction as the wind blew.

Once I saw them coming in, I knew it was going to be a tough shot at a moving target. First shot missed. They scatter in all directions. One starts running right at me. Next shot connects and it starts to flop and then finally stops moving. Relieved, I relax a bit. And then all of a sudden the dang thing gets up and starts running again. I put another one in it and it finally crashes right under me. I put one more in it's head for good measure. These hogs are tough animals for sure.

Estimated weight of about 130 lbs. Nice eating size boar.

ForumRunner_20140214_172042.jpg

ForumRunner_20140214_182050.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140214_172042.jpg
      ForumRunner_20140214_172042.jpg
      38 KB · Views: 171
    • ForumRunner_20140214_182050.jpg
      ForumRunner_20140214_182050.jpg
      82.8 KB · Views: 165

FVNVTVK

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just once, I'd like to go hoggin' and actually SEE one.

Worst...season...ever.

Congrats on your kill. Looks tasty!

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What caliber did you use to shoot it with and what type of ammo was you using?:focus:

Shooting 180gr 30-06 round nose soft points. Just the core lokts. The first hit was a gut shot. So that's why he kept on going. But he sure played dead for a little bit.

I have yet to loose an animal shooting this round. Knocking on some wood right now. But the energy that is expelled from the round nose is crazy. Even when I've made a bad shot the temporary damage to tissue around the direct wound channel usually is enough to finish them. My gun shoots them great and they are cheap. So it's what I've stuck with.

Last edited:

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just once, I'd like to go hoggin' and actually SEE one.

Worst...season...ever.

Congrats on your kill. Looks tasty!

Hogs are some of the most frustrating animals to hunt. They don't pattern like deer. And the minute you think that you have them figured out, they change up. Let's just say, I've been hunting them hard and only have two so far to show for it. And that's even with some night hunts thrown in there. Their nose is even better than deer. They can't see worth a crap. But if they even smell something fishy in the area, you'll never see them. Hunt the wind or you will not see those hogs at all.

Top Bottom