• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RidgeRunner

It's only original once
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    So i have a 44 mag, with what I think they call a hot shot tube / choke on the end.
    My question is can I shoot bullets through the barrel with the tube installed? It is rifled all the way.
    If I take the tube off, it leaves threads exposed, and I would think be ruined quickly I hope I can shoot bullets with the choke installed??.

Attachments

• IMG_8581.JPG
      IMG_8581.JPG
      52.5 KB · Views: 24
    • IMG_8582.JPG
      IMG_8582.JPG
      42.5 KB · Views: 25
    • IMG_8583.JPG
      IMG_8583.JPG
      31 KB · Views: 20

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    What is the ID of the bbl at the threads ? OR , can you drop a 44 bullet into the barrel at the threads ?
    I'm sure there is a T/C or "Contender" forum on line.
    I Do know that you should plan to shoot really reduced 44 loads

RidgeRunner

It's only original once
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    All I gather is shoot with choke removed, but I was worried about leading up the threads in barrel end.

Arby

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have the .357 Mag/ HotShot barrel. You remove the choke to shoot the standard cartridge and install the choke to shoot the HotShot loads. It is not really a choke, what it does is it shreds the capsule to open it up for the shot to come out. If you shoot a HotShot load with the choke removed, it stays intact as a solid projectile. Do Not shoot a regular .44 Mag cartridge with the choke installed. The ballistics of the .44 Mag HotShot is the same as a 2 1/2" .410 shell.
    I have never had a problem with threads being exposed.
    Your's is considered an External Choke, used on the octagon barrel. Mine is a bull barrel with vent rib and has an internal choke tube like a shotgun would have.
    These barrels were discontinued in the early to mid 80's when TC came out with a .410 barrel. I bought up ammo and the capsules (for reloading) at that time and still have a couple hundred left.

RidgeRunner

It's only original once
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I have the .357 Mag/ HotShot barrel. You remove the choke to shoot the standard cartridge and install the choke to shoot the HotShot loads. It is not really a choke, what it does is it shreds the capsule to open it up for the shot to come out. If you shoot a HotShot load with the choke removed, it stays intact as a solid projectile. Do Not shoot a regular .44 Mag cartridge with the choke installed. The ballistics of the .44 Mag HotShot is the same as a 2 1/2" .410 shell.
    I have never had a problem with threads being exposed.
    Your's is considered an External Choke, used on the octagon barrel. Mine is a bull barrel with vent rib and has an internal choke tube like a shotgun would have.
    These barrels were discontinued in the early to mid 80's when TC came out with a .410 barrel. I bought up ammo and the capsules (for reloading) at that time and still have a couple hundred left.
    Thank you , I was told there may be a thread protector type cap you install when you take the shredder off.
    I think I will keep looking for a 14" bull barrel in 44 mag, and sell this one.

Top Bottom