The ever pressing question .308 or 30-06???

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sj1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I haven't seen a lot of AR rifles that shoot .30-06. If I were spending my own money, right here where I am right now, I'd go with an AR-10 platform .308.
    If ammo is an issue, I'd buy a bunch when it's available, and I would buy all different kinds. And a bunch of magazines. I would make sure I had a few 5 round magazines, to keep it legal to hunt deer here on public land in Florida.
    I have nothing against the '06, it's a great hunting round, but if push came to shove, I'd rather have the versatility of a round that runs through an AR.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I am an auto type of guy too sj1, accuracy suffers a bit but few of us shoot well enough to have a kill ratio difference between a 1 moa and 1/2 moa weapon...LOL

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am an auto type of guy too sj1, accuracy suffers a bit but few of us shoot well enough to have a kill ratio difference between a 1 moa and 1/2 moa weapon...LOL

100% agree Frank. Minute of Bambi at 100 yards is the goal. AFA recoil some lighter projectiles in the 125-130 gr range will tame it nicely.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    DPMS just came out w a 7-7 1/2 lb 308, along w the AR gas system the recoil will not be that bad and the right projectile is a matter of desire. Also available is surplus ammo for stockpiling. I can build a custom 308 AR for about $1200 with a lightweight barrel profile and will weigh in at 7lbs. I do believe you are better off with a 7lb 308 than a 5lb. Then for about 70% of a 308 power you go 6.8SPCII and for this locale it is good to go.

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I like the '06 . Bigger case , more powder equals more down range velocity . Same cal bullets so no SD advantage . For the larger game & longer range the '06 is my vote . For elk & moose in the timber I like my 358Win . Of course it kicks but it'll launch a 225 Barnes or a 250 Original with enough authority & penetration that it even works on Brown Bear .

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I like the '06 . Bigger case , more powder equals more down range velocity . Same cal bullets so no SD advantage . For the larger game & longer range the '06 is my vote . For elk & moose in the timber I like my 358Win . Of course it kicks but it'll launch a 225 Barnes or a 250 Original with enough authority & penetration that it even works on Brown Bear .

If the 30-06 is a superior cartridge wonder why the M40 is chambered in .308 ?

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Because of the following : loaded to a higher pressure to meet '06 velocity , 308 is inherrently more accurate ,shorter case feeds better thru automatic weapons , the military already had weapon systems in that caliber . With a 150 or 165gr bullet it's pretty much a wash . However with heavier bullets it's a different story . I do believe the OP mentioned elk & moose , which in my book means 180gr & heavier . In 60yrs it's been my experience animals are tougher to kill than humans . You've your opinion & I have mine . The ability to state both points in public is the beauty of America .

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Because of the following : loaded to a higher pressure to meet '06 velocity , 308 is inherrently more accurate ,shorter case feeds better thru automatic weapons , the military already had weapon systems in that caliber . With a 150 or 165gr bullet it's pretty much a wash . However with heavier bullets it's a different story . I do believe the OP mentioned elk & moose , which in my book means 180gr & heavier . In 60yrs it's been my experience animals are tougher to kill than humans . You've your opinion & I have mine . The ability to state both points in public is the beauty of America .

All these things are true. Especially the heavy bullet part.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    30-06 was my first rifle and it was great in the 70's and 80's but the surplus ammo is now more plentiful for the 308. The fact that it will cycle thru an AR platform is what has me saving my money for one this year.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    30-06 was my first rifle and it was great in the 70's and 80's but the surplus ammo is now more plentiful for the 308. The fact that it will cycle thru an AR platform is what has me saving my money for one this year.

Where are you finding surplus 7.62 NATO? I have some Venezuelan stuff and love it, but could use some more.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom