• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FNHman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I enjoyed my overall time at the range and the staff was very helpful and polite. The one thing I just couldn't stand was the rifle range setup. You had to shoot through a 8-10ft steel tube that was around 14" in diameter. The muzzle report seemed amplified back to the shooter and not being able to see anything but a wooden wall in front of you was terrible. They also had 3 4x4 pieces of wood laying inside the bottom of the steel tubes that looked "shoot to hell".

Walking out to the maximum 100 yard targets wasn't too bad for me but the trail was washed out and not groomed. If you have any trouble walking or use a cane you would no doubt have to get the range master to go hang or change your target for you.

I would go back to shoot handguns again but I would be sure to leave the rifles at home next time.

1911Junky

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I enjoyed my overall time at the range and the staff was very helpful and polite. The one thing I just couldn't stand was the rifle range setup. You had to shoot through a 8-10ft steel tube that was around 14" in diameter. The muzzle report seemed amplified back to the shooter and not being able to see anything but a wooden wall in front of you was terrible. They also had 3 4x4 pieces of wood laying inside the bottom of the steel tubes that looked "shoot to hell".

Walking out to the maximum 100 yard targets wasn't too bad for me but the trail was washed out and not groomed. If you have any trouble walking or use a cane you would no doubt have to get the range master to go hang or change your target for you.

I would go back to shoot handguns again but I would be sure to leave the rifles at home next time.

I agree. One thing aggravating to me also was they will not allow you to set up a target at 50 yards to start out with when trying to zero your rifle. Only 100 yard targets

zombieh8r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I remember some of the hoopla several years back which caused them to put the tubes in. There's a few houses in the distance that got a few bullet holes in their barns, sheds, etc. seems as though people were shooting over the berm, so shoal river put the tubes in to keep folks from over shooting. It was either that or close down the range from what I remember. I haven't shot there in a few years but the folks were always friendly

merkinman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The Range just sucks I will never go again , we used to go every other weekend and shoot 5 stand and wobbel, but has just gone to hell.

Khaot1c

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I use Shoal river for pistol on occasion. It' can get kind of cramped if its busy and you've got to be quick picking up your brass to save it from being trampled or swept.

Top Bottom