• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey guys I found a deal a few weeks back on a Rem 700 CDL in 7-08 and could not pass it up. This is my first Rem 700. I am having a number of issues mounting a scope.:wacko:

The main issue is clearance for my hand to work the bolt. I purchased medium rings which is a no go but I am pretty sure the high will not give me enough clearance. I stacked a folded up paper towel under the scope & still not enough clearance. They do not make an extra high. Correction it does look like they do. Dumb Me!

This is a leupold windage Adj. type mount with STD rings.

Last thing that exacerbates the clearance issue is the scope is a 30mm scope with a large eye piece. Leupold vx6 2-12 42mm

Anyone run into this? Any solutions? I guess I could buy another brand mount but this thing is going to be really high off the rifle.

I may just have to use a different scope but I bought this one for this gun & really wanted to use it. May have to switch scopes with my Browning A bolt. Since it has a smaller lift to work the bolt.

Thanks Joe

Last edited:

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks John, I may have to try them.

I will see if the store will exchange these rings for super highs & just try it. I have a feeling they will not since I already turned the front ring to set it in place & the metal is worn. Wasted $50 bucks!

I did find that leupold does make a super high in 30mm so it might work out.

I could learn to work the bolt holding only the ball on the end. LOL

This is something to consider though on 30mm scopes before you order one if you have a rem 700.

Last edited:

Fishyfingers

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a leupold 3-9x50 on my 700 in 25-06rem. It's mounted on medium rings. I typically lift and pull the bolt with my pinky and the next finger and push and lock with the thumb. I've been doing this for years with no trouble.

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the tips guys I am thinking about just switching with my other gun as it could use the extra power the 12x zoom offers(7mm rem Mag).

I was excited to get this scope because it offers 57ft of field of view at 2 power, that is 24ft more then the average 3x9 & even more then the average 2x8 with 37ft.

The problem is the eye pieces is 1 3/4" with a 30mm tube vs the smaller (VX-3 3x9,50mm, 1"tube) eye peice is 1.5" combine with the Rem 700 90degree lift & there is not much room left.

Thanks for advice! Keep this in mind if considering one of these larger scopes with a larger eye pieces. I did not even think about it as I have never had a problem like this before & I ordered the scope online.

If I fall in love with the gun I may consider modifying the bolt but I do not want to modify anything tell I am sure I really like it.

Last edited:

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well an update for those who care. The store Mc Cory's in mobile was nice & exchanged the rings for super highs.

There is still issues with scopes that have these larger diameter eye pieces & guns with 90 degree lift bolts. Remington, Winchester etc...

I can work the bolt but not like I want to. I will give it a try and see how I like the rifle & scope then go from there. I am sure you would have no problems at the range but in the field under pressure I much prefer the added room other manufactures have. Why have an issue if you do not need to?

In the pictures you can see how little room there is just to lift the bolt & there is even less room when you pull it back as the eye piece gets wider. Beware of what scope you buy if you have a 90 lift. This is the first time I have ever had a scope clearance issue. 90 degree lifts not my favorite right now & nether are big eye piece scopes.LOL

Straight lift 2 power
    Liftfinger.jpg

Straight lift 12 power even less room because of protrusion on dial.
    fullpowerfinger.jpg

Room as you pull bolt back.
    pullfinger.jpg

Joe

Last edited:

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Give Remington a call and tak with them about your problem and see what they tell you, looks like you got room to slide the scope forward which may give you a little more room?
    Keep us in the loop on your outcome?:thumb:

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Rem 700

I know I'm going to regret this, but in your pit is that how much clearance you have, If so you don't have a problem, Having using just about all types of bolt gun over the past 45 yrs in competition and hunting I use the Rem the most and mostly have Rem in numerous configuration and Cal. and diff. scopes small and large. You need to learn to use a bolt gun. are have it mod. JUst my 2 cents jj

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One shot you sound like you have much more experience than me & my post is probably a complete waste of time for you. I hope there are a few others here like myself who are interested in topics such as this. I know I would have enjoyed seeing one like it before I bought this rifle & paired it with this scope. If not at least I get to entertain myself & gain more knowledge of the shooting sport & the guns we play with. :whoo:

The rem 700 has a great following & likely will long after I am gone. My post is only partly about the rem 700 but is also about bolts with a 90 degree lift and the increase in scopes with larger eye pieces we are seeing today.

I was recently trying to decide which rifle to buy & narrowed it down to a Winchester 70 & rem 700
    but I can tell you that my next rifle will not have a 90 degree lift. To many good guns out there that offer less bolt lift. Browning, Sako, Savage, Weatherby, Tikka. Right now I wish I would have saved a little more & got a Sako. I will say this is a handsome rifle and it shot 1.5" groups with hornady sst, & 3 shots touching with winchester ballistic tips today. The remington core locket was like 3plus". I do like how easy it was to adjust the trigger. In fact I do not think it could be easier.

As for me if I am caught up in thick brush facing a 235lb hog with 4" cutters at 30 yards I would prefer a rifle with a much shorter bolt lift & more clearance then My Rem 700 is offering in its current configuration.

See for yourself Browning with 60 degree lift. Not exactly fair because the scope has a smaller eye piece by about 1/4"
    finger.jpg

Two fingers & still have more room to spare.
    twoplussome.jpg

Joe

Last edited:
    Top Bottom