• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Opinion please from those who have one of these red dots….Looking to buy either a Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 or a Sightmark Ultra Shot QD for a .22 LR pistol I have; a Magnum Research Mountain Eagle .22LR . Both red dots are around $100 so this is not about price. Interested in hearing from folks who have either of these scopes and how they perform on a nice bright sunny day… I love the Docter sight(s), but cant justify spending 2.5 x’s the price of one of the above mentioned… Thanks for any and all input.

Late entry...would also like to add the TRUGLO Tru-Brite to the equation as they also look good for around the same price-point...

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Have never owned either so pardon if this is an unwanted input.

I have a friend that has a Bushnell TRS-25 on his Ruger 22/45 and he loves it. I shot it a couple of months ago at the club and it looked fine to me. Several things you should consider are:
    * MOA of dot. To me a 3MOA is fine on a plinking,varmint shooting pistol. A 2MOA would be ok,however a 1MOA would be too small IMO.
    * Brightness settings ?? How many ?? Do they go bright enough for a light colored target in the full sun...AND...a dark colored target in extremely low light conditions. If the sight does not go dim enough you will have 'Bloom". The dot will have a glow around it that will partially obscure the target.
    * The sight will be mounted to the top of a pistol that does not move so either will be sturdy enough.
    * Battery life ?? Some are measured in the thousands of hours.

Have you considered an "open red dot" sight vs the closed. They are a whole bunch smaller and there are some very good ones on the market. I have used these and they are super small,light,and unobtrusive. I have used the ones that the brightness of the dot was controlled by the ambient light. They were always on however they "went to sleep" when the hood was installed. If you are considering one of these MAKE SURE you do not have to dismount the sight to change the battery. Some you do....some you don't. --- SAWMAN

RIPpff

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    go with bushnell, had a sightmark in the aimpoint clone style, wasnt great, all chinese optics either way, just with a better warranty than the non branded clones

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have the Bushnell. I have only shot with it a couple of times so it's not wrung out yet nor has it been used anytime but average daylight. I did put it on a possum after dark but he was in the outer edge of the light from my dusk to dawn light. It was on brightness 1 or 2. I did not notice a bloom. So far no complaints.

I think mine was just under $80 on Amazon.

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    I have the Bushnell TRS-25 along with a couple of Ultra Dots and a Burris FastFire III. I sold a FFII because it wouldn't dim down enough in low light. The FFIII solves that problem. Getting back to the Bushnell, it's a little clunky compared to the others, but it works just as well. I would recommend it highly as an inexpensive (under $100.00) scope for a handgun or rifle.

Top Bottom