• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Orion45

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just saw this S&W Model 642 online. It's a custom gun as you can see in the photo. My question is why would someone port a snubbie? Seems to me that any benefits gained by lessening recoil would be outweighed by a loss of bullet velocity. Probably not a significant factor in a long barrel but in a 1 7/8" barrel, I would assume the loss would be enough to reduce the gun's effectiveness for self defense. It would be interesting to measure the "before and after" porting velocities.

pop_wm_4713805.jpg

Attachments

• pop_wm_4713805.jpg
      pop_wm_4713805.jpg
      66.6 KB · Views: 184

Urbanfuturistic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Perhaps, but aren't snubbies usually used as belly guns or get off me guns? I don't think the loss in velocity is going to stop you from being perforated face to face. You're going to stop whatever you're doing to me.

Ken232

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Cool factor unless u just wanna reduce recoil that bad ..i would have gone with 1 Slit port on each side of the front sight myself

Mullet Hunter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I have 4 of these guns... None ported, however I will say I would much rather shoot a 500gr bullet out of the smith500 with 10" bbl than I would shoot any of the snubs with +p ammo... These things are miserable to shoot... I would say that porting the gun with the short of barrel that you would feel the same recol just at a different angle.... Still making it miserable to shoot.....

Also the above gun is a custom gun.....

Army_of_One

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    My Wife's Taurus is a .357 snubbie with ports. It's the worst thing for target shooting. Everyone within a 5 foot radius will close their eyes every time you fire it. The concussion is that intense.
    IMG_1315.jpg

Urbanfuturistic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have 4 of these guns... None ported, however I will say I would much rather shoot a 500gr bullet out of the smith500 with 10" bbl than I would shoot any of the snubs with +p ammo... These things are miserable to shoot... I would say that porting the gun with the short of barrel that you would feel the same recol just at a different angle.... Still making it miserable to shoot.....

Also the above gun is a custom gun.....

Really? +P doesn't feel that bad to me.

Orion45

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Perhaps, but aren't snubbies usually used as belly guns or get off me guns? I don't think the loss in velocity is going to stop you from being perforated face to face. You're going to stop whatever you're doing to me.

I would try never to get to a face to face situation. In in a close confrontation like that, in addition to the cylinder blowby, you could also by injured by your own gun's port exhaust. As far as snubbies being a only belly gun...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_b3dAbKoJ0

Last edited:

Milesvdustin

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What's a 357 like with the short 1 7/8" barrel? Was thinking of getting one when taxes come back.

I mean in regards to the concussion around you and the recoil.

Orion45

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What's a 357 like with the short 1 7/8" barrel? Was thinking of getting one when taxes come back.

I mean in regards to the concussion around you and the recoil.

Don't know about a ,357 but there is a definite difference between a .38 SPL and a +P round in a S&W 642. There was a marked improvement when I replaced the stock grips with a Crimson Trace LG-305.

Last edited:

Mullet Hunter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Yes, it's an air weight 442. I really couldn't tell a diff between it and reg .38 spl.

We're you watching it being shot?? Did you mix up the bullets?? I will meet you and let you shoot my +p's vs a regular .38spl with witnesses... If you cannot feel the difference, or we can't physically see a difference in the recoil then I will kiss your ass on video....

Urbanfuturistic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Simma down now...

I only shot five of them. They were Self Defense rds that I really didnt want to waste, but decided I wanted to see what they felt like. No, I did not have the bullets mixed up. Sure, Ill come shoot your ammo if you insist.

Mullet Hunter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Simma down now...

I only shot five of them. They were Self Defense rds that I really didnt want to waste, but decided I wanted to see what they felt like. No, I did not have the bullets mixed up. Sure, Ill come shoot your ammo if you insist.

LOL... I'm only saying that their is a very distinct difference in a .38+p, and a regular .38spl. The recoil difference is huge...

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I would highly recommend NO PORTS in ANY SD/HD handgun. If you practice shooting from the weapon retention positions(which should be a part of your training schedule)you will surely get burned and fragged with shaved lead,especially if you use wadcutters. Also for low/limited ambient light shooting,it will quickly cause night blindness.

The "C" model Glocks are terrible for this. --- SAWMAN

Orion45

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The ss barrel and cylinder are standard on the S&W 642. The stock gun weighs 15 oz empty. The porting must have decreased the original weight by a gram or two. :whistle:

Top Bottom