• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    So I recently bought a nighthawk GRP diamond black. Then I decided that the cash would be best served in bulking up my armory in more basic guns, so I put it up for sale shortly after receiving it. However, I took it off after noticing a couple of problems with it. You be the judge, am I out if my mind ? Or is this completely unsat for a Berryville Arkansas gun? I can tell you this much, my Wilson's or Kimbers never did ANY of this. 1911 gurus, please chime in.

There's the slide play both horizontal AND vertical, as well as the hammer follow, and I didn't capture it , but it rattles if you give it a gentle shake. I can do another video if anyone's interested.

http://youtu.be/_kYiSbY-6p0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:

1911Junky

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Surprised to see. Nighthawk slide to frame so sloppy. Just need to be tightened up to alleviate all of the extra play. The frame slide rails can be adjusted to tighten it up.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    buy pistol from regarding pistol maker, take it to local gunsmith to have rails tightened up. I hate to see you're having problems with your new pistol.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    buy pistol from regarding pistol maker, take it to local gunsmith to have rails tightened up. I hate to see you're having problems with your new pistol.

Nighthawk has offered to pay for shipping and fix it, but honestly, I'm turned off from the whole brand. I'm shipping it back to the original owner tomorrow. I just can't believe they'd let it out the door with rails like that. Or that the hammer is falling to half cock when the gun is not even broken in. It's one notch away from full auto.

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    yes, send it back to them, as a matter of principle.....IMO, hating the whole program because of one gun is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. That just shows they're human, too( afaik, Bill's retired).

Btw, not full auto from hammer, the sear/disconnect isn't engaging.

when you thumb cock it, does the hammer stay back? If not, it's a sear thing. Also, hold the trigger in( iow, with the hammer cocked, fire and hold the trigger) and rack the slide. Does the hammer stay back? Then, release the trigger slowly, does it go 'click'(reset)? If not, it's a disconnect thing.

Last edited:

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    yes, send it back to them, as a matter of principle.....IMO, hating the whole program because of one gun is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. That just shows they're human, too( afaik, Bill's retired).

Btw, not full auto from hammer, the sear/disconnect isn't engaging.

when you thumb cock it, does the hammer stay back? If not, it's a sear thing. Also, hold the trigger in( iow, with the hammer cocked, fire and hold the trigger) and rack the slide. Does the trigger stay back? Then, release the trigger slowly, does it go 'click'(reset)? If not, it's a disconnect thing.

Thanks., I tried your suggestions, and It actually only faults when dropping the slide on a mag with 1 or 2 rounds. Not sure what that means, but I do know that I don't want to shoot it.
    I don't hate the company at all, but I didn't care for the NH rep questioning my credibility on the slide play. It's a handmade products and humans can make mistakes, I can certainly accept that. I also do respect the fact that they are going to fix it, although it'll be for the original owner, not for me.
    I must say that it does make me like my 15 year old Wilson that much more. When I'm in the market for another 1911, it'll probably be an all steel railed Wilson. Although, I do hear good things about Les Baer's fit, but I've never held one.

1911Junky

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Disco is not fully resetting....over travel set too little or sear spring is lightened too much not allowing the disco to fully reset. This is a five minute fix. Tightening the rails are a little more in depth.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Disco is not fully resetting....over travel set too little or sear spring is lightened too much not allowing the disco to fully reset. This is a five minute fix. Tightening the rails are a little more in depth.

Left finger on the mainspring, I think?

They said they could bend the slide to tighten the rails without damaging the finish, but I don't think they believed how much play it actually has. Apparently if they do end up damaging the finish to fix the rails, they'll have to redo it in their current finish, which would be a shame. We'll see.

1911Junky

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's exactly which one it is "left finger"

I have never seen a slide to frame fit that was that bad. I would be surprised if they can get it tightened up with no damage at all to the finish. I. Would start with bending the frame rails before I started trying to bend the slide. There are frame rail jigs for that, that can tighten it up, although I do not see them getting that completely tight. Would make more since for them to just install, fit and finish a new slide for you under warranty. Even if they tighten it up you still will not get that perfect fit with no gaps in between the slide and rails based of how much slop was in it. Hopefully they will take good care of it for you.

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The original 1911 had about that much play(for alot of constant shooting in combat) ,,it's just that competition folks began tightening them up to ridiculous tolerances...Les Baer is said to have the tightest in the industry and now that's what everybody expects.. Old 1911's are like old Harleys, when they sit, they leak, but when they get running and get warmed up they tighten right up.

I wouldn't do anything to the gun(if you do, they may void the warranty) but send it in. Consider it mortally wounded and needing to go to the hospital, asap

Last edited:

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    To me the tightness is a reflection of fine craftsmanship, like on a fine Swiss watch.

My 2nd 1911 was an all original one made in the 3rd quarter of 1917. It certainly was looser than the Kimbers I had at the time, but I don't remember it rattling. I could be wrong, I've gotten much more in tune with the platform over time.

Last edited:

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Thanks for your input guys. The nighthawk has been sent to the original owner, who will be sending it back to Berryville. I have now bought a Les Baer Ultimate Tactical Carry.

Top Bottom