• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Well the wife brought back the Mossy 500 my FIL had when he died. Very pretty wood stock rifle sights, not drilled, must be an older one as it has checkering on the grip and forend, clean, looks not to have been shot or used. 2 3/4 and 3" shells. I have a maverick 88 and a spare 26" vent barrel w chokes I am guessing will fit in this gun as I put a 20" on the maverick vent w chokes and run buck in it for home defense.

I am guessing that any 500 accessory, stocks barrels and such will fit on this? I don't need the gun but suppose I should keep it for awhile. I understand it is for rifled slugs of any make and not buckshot as the shot will spread too far and cause a donut in the center as I have read(use an improver cyl for buck?). Anyone have a favorite slug? I think all I have are the Dixie rifled from WM. Looks to be a good platform to make it whatever I want it to be.

I guess in Ohio shotguns are used for deer? Suppose it would make a nice hole in a hog too.

Comments suggestions??

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Frank,

I have a Knoxx Blackhawk composite forestock for a Moss 500 if you want it. I bought the kit with the recoil reduction 6 position rear but the front won't fit my 500. You have to have the older style front stock with removable guide rails. Newer Mossbergs have the stock molded permanently to the rails.

Shoot me your shipping address if you decide on it.

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'll give ya a box of each when I see you next. I was able to consistently get 2" groups or less out of my 870 with a 26" rifled barrel. Killed many NY deer with it.

Clay

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I guess in Ohio shotguns are used for deer? Suppose it would make a nice hole in a hog too.

As far as I know, in Ohio a shotgun is ALL that you can use for deer. No rifles allowed. Those slugs of Clay's will hammer a hog better than a rifle if kept to slug effective range.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'd keep it stock too if it was mine but throwing the offer out there. I think any wooden stock 500 will have the removable guide rods.

Anyone else reading this that wants it let me know.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm sorry, I meant anyone but JohnAL can have it.

j/k I'll shoot it to you Monday John. I believe I still have your address.

Yep, checked. I have your address.

Oooops, double post. Sorry,

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I emailed the company, their products work in rifled too. When I spoke with them on the phone, indicated that their products in general all work in rifled barrels as well.

Date: Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 1:09 AM
    Subject: D Dupleks ammunition in rifled barrels
    To: clayjunky-------------

Dear Clay,

Thank you for the interest and good words. Yes, you can use Hexolit 32 both in rifled and smooth barrels.

Kind regards,

Andris Stipnieks
    D Dupleks

Shley65

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Rifled slugs are primarily for smoothbores . The "rifling isn't to impart spin but rather allow the slug to safely pass through any choke . I would look into sabot slugs for a rifled barrel . Shame Remington discontinued their Buckhammer slugs, they do fairly well with a rifled choke - could only imagine they would be deadly out of a fully rifled tube .

Top Bottom