• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • millzenator

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I went to Santa Rosa Shooting Center with my wife on Sunday. She and I are both new to shooting (actually been 12 years for me...trying to get started again). I purchased a Ruger 22/45 from Mike's about two weeks ago, mainly for my wife to get comfortable for with shooting, and a fun plinker for me.

We started off with the Ruger, and had problems from the get-go. The Ruger was new, out of the box. I was told that these were good to go out of the box, and a good thing, because they can be a pain to disassemble, clean and reassemble. The first mag was loaded with CCI Mini Mags, and I could only get the first round to fire. Every next round in the mag had a FTF. The cartridge seemed to be hanging on the feed ramp. I tried the Mini Mags, Aguila and CCI AR Tacticals. All the same result from two different mags. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Was it a fail to feed and chamber the second round?
    Did the bolt stop just a little short of its fully forward position?....could it be bumped forward and fired.
    Was there a dent in the fired case?
    It was NOT a jam....double feed...or stovepipe?
    Need more info. You have to be a detective when troubleshooting a firearm.
    Unfortunately not many firearms these days are good to go out of the box....even if they should be. You have a fairly new model...with a composite barrel....shouldn't be a problem....but who knows.
    All new firearms really need a good buff and polish of the internal parts before they are good to go. They may work fine....but it will take them longer to break in.

millzenator

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the responses, guys. I am going to break the gun down, clean it, examine the feed ramp, check the feed lips on the mags, look through the exctrator port with a mag installed to make sure everything is clearing, and try it again. Sucks I don't have a place to shoot it for testing without going to the range. I live on a 1/8 acre lot!

Also, I bought some dry-lube spray. Hornady OneShot cleaner with Dynalube and some Rem DriLube. Anyone use this? Think it might help? Aside from helping this situation, are these good products? I read good reviews on both.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just my opion but I have never heard of any problems with feeding either with a ruger. A friend of mine had one one time that he let get so dirty that the bolt would't even close far enough to let it fire. Cleaned it up and it fired great. imo those lubes won't help much. Do you hnow anyone with a mag that you could borrow? Myself I would be careful with doing anything to the feed ramp since it is new. If you mess it up other than a polish rugar might not fix it.

millzenator

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good suggestions and insight, Snow Bird. I certainly would not go further than a simple polish on any internal parts on the Ruger. The FTF was happening with both my new mags. I have a friend at work that has a MKII, but I am not sure those mags will fit the 22/45. At the range, the mags were loaded, inserted and the first shot would fire. The second round would get suck on the feed ramp, as if were angled down too much and would not slide up the ramp. I tried both these new mags with the three different ammo manufacturers that I mentioned, none of it cheapo stuff. I think one time it managed to chamber the second round.

Last edited:

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Did we get any new info?
    When you get to shoot it next....make sure you pay attention to what it is actually doing, and what it is not doing.
    Please let us know wheather the problem lies in the extraction, feed, chambering of a new round, or in the firing of the new round.
    Make sure that the round seats all the way in....with the bolt completely forward.....let us know if you have to bump the bolt forward to complete the cycle....ect.
    From the details you gave....I have no Idea where the problem occured.
    Thanks.

millzenator

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My apologies if I didn't give enough info on the issues. Perhaps I didn't know how to describe the issues in the best way. After cleaning (and removing anything that appears to be cosmoline), I'll take it back out and see what happens. I certainly take some pics so I can help you guy help me.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I don't care what the gun is I inspect, break it down, clean and oil as should be done w any weapon. I am thinking after you did the maintenance you won't have a problem. Did you shoot it dry out of the box? Also could be a mag issue, I also load, unload and load those again after a wipe of wd40 inside and out then dried off. Then place in the weapon and cycle a mag through w/o firing. Good luck

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Tried to edit my other post and it didn,t go through so here goes. I bought a Smith and wesson 40 ve new and it wouldn't feed either.Could only load 9 rounds in a 10 round mag. They had put 9mm springs in the 40 mm mag. They sent me new ones and it worked fine so i would still find a mag to try if I could. Remember 22 don,t like alot of oil. There is a good vid on the rugar site on tearing down your new SAFE rugar. Makes it alot easyer for me to see someone else do it than reading manual.Had a time getting my mark2 put back togeather the first time. I know these guys here will get it figured out for you.

Top Bottom