• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Slammed this buck during last PM's hunt. I got to my shooting house at 1230 yesterday. Figured the rut is on,a doe could be chased out at any time of the day. Sat there in the warmth of the sun talking to a couple friends via text message.

A small buck(85lbs)came out at 1500 and "tore up" all the small pines with his 2 inch spikes. I wondered why they were as white as ivory ..... from use,that's why. He sniffed around the plot a bit,took several bites of bread,then headed out on his "mission".

Just before sunset I noticed movement at the far end of the plot. Grabbed my bino's and saw that it was a mature doe standing on the edge of the tall grass,just off the plot. She was looking all around,but mostly in back of her. She finally ran out onto the plot and started eating the peanut tops. She fed down the plot to within 40yds of the shooting house.

I kept watching where she was looking and after a couple of minutes I noticed a buck standing in the tall grass at the very back edge of the mowed area. By this time I had my gun on the bags,scope caps off,and the window screens pulled back behind the scope objective lens so that I would not have to look through it.

After about 30 seconds the doe ran off down the plot and I knew that the buck would soon follow. He had his head up high and I put the crosshairs in the middle of his neck. At the shot,he crumpled. He did not even kick. The distance was 135yds.

I was using my newish Rem 700 SPS TAC chambered in 308Win. The gun came with a 16.5" bbl threaded 5/8X24. I installed a JP Brake on the end. The Hogue stock has been replaced with a Bell & Carlson (2956-02). The rifle has a Leupold VX-R 3-9X50 (w/ CDS) installed. I was shooting a hand loaded Barnes 130gr TSX at 2800fps. The bullet was a pass thru with an exit hole about the size of a nickel. The bullet fragged 2 inches of the spine.

The deer was approx. 3 1/2 years old. He was a 8pt with a 14 3/4" inside spread and weighed 160lbs. --- SAWMAN

EDIT TO ADD: A buddy that saw this deer the night that I killed it graded the teeth for me(used to know how...don't anymore). He stated that the deer was 4 1/2 years old and probably was the biggest he will ever be. Made me feel good. Also....this deer was missed by a buddy of mine that is a retired Air Force PJ, and a WW(Granada), that I took hunting with me,two weeks ago. I took him out and dropped a pop-up blind over him in his wheel chair. He shot over the same deer at 240yds. I e-mailed him the pic and he said ......"that's him".

Attachments

• SANY0040.jpg
      SANY0040.jpg
      237.9 KB · Views: 242
    Last edited:

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The deer that I've yet to shoot this year would be much bigger.... LOL!!!
    Very nice, Saw. It feels so good not to have to trail them. I like it when they crumble.

FowlHunter13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dang! I saw you posting about killing a deer and was hopeful that it was with the Glock 20. Sorry, just getting excited to start hunting with my newly acquired 10mm. Very nice buck though, congratulations!

Top Bottom