• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flguy32514

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Went shooting on my buddy's property this past weekend, was very heavy fog so my 30-06 was soaked. I dried it very well before I left inside and out. But apparently there was enough moisture inside my case, because I open the case today to find rust all over my rifle. I used some wd-40 to clean that up pretty well, but I can see some spots of rust in my barrel. What's the best way to clean it up?

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Lightly buff it out with 000 steel wool and CLP. WD40 doesn't prevent corrosion on blued finishes. If its inside the barrel brush it out with Hoppes and patch it dry.

Flguy32514

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Lightly buff it out with 000 steel wool and CLP. WD40 doesn't prevent corrosion on blued finishes. If its inside the barrel brush it out with Hoppes and patch it dry.

Yeah I forgot the words steel wool after WD40 I just used the WD as a lubricant so I didn't tear up the finish, I figured the barrel brush would be all I need I just wanted to ask before I did it

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I learned this lesson the hard way about 25 years ago. I was still hunting in the morning and got rained on. After the hunt some buddies wanted to do a drive so I dried off my rifle, put it in the zippered case and grabbed my shotgun. Came back to the truck a couple hours later and there were rust specks all over it. I just rubbed it down real good with gun oil and its not really noticeable after a while other than a few specks of blueing gone.
    Never put a firearm that might be moist in a case. Mine would have been fine if I had just laid it on the seat.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep. I have hunted in the rain many times. I always keep a can of WD40 in the truck during hunting season. Spray it down with Water Displacement formula 40 before putting it in the case. Take it out of the case when you get home. Never a rusted gun.

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep. I have hunted in the rain many times. I always keep a can of WD40 in the truck during hunting season. Spray it down with Water Displacement formula 40 before putting it in the case. Take it out of the case when you get home. Never a rusted gun.

I quit using that stuff when I got a pickup that didn't have points. Lol. To each his own though.

Flguy32514

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Got lucky, took it apart and there was no rust other than what was visible when it was fully assembled. Used some Hoppes and a bore brush and it looks new now

itsazonik

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That happened to me this weekend with both my rifles. We were hunting Saturday and walked out in a downpour. The lever action has surface rust on spots and even my ar has some rust on the muzzle brake, trigger and selector switch. Used remoil and it all cleaned right off no problem. I may need something like the Remington 700 xcr for rainy day hunts

fishingjean

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have found that American Gun Oil works very well, it penetrates the pores of metal an keeps moisture out, also it is claimed to have no oder for hunters!!!!

jakec

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    i did the same thing with a black powder .44. put it in the case under the seat after shooting one day when we got caught in a storm. forgot it was in there overnight and i couldnt believe how much rust formed that fast. i guess the blackpowder made it worse too. wd 40 didnt do it that time i had to replace parts.

Top Bottom