• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    My first Mosin could hit minute of man at 100 yards (maybe 4 MOA on a good day) off sandbags, with iron sights and factory ammo. Based upon my experience, I assumed the typical Mosin is a fugly, poorly manufactured rifle intended for thousands of Russian peasants to throw a hail of lead in the general direction of the German army. My opinion may be changing.

I recently acquired another Mosin. This one is also fugly with black paint covering spots where the bluing is gone. The trigger pull is long and the front sight post too short. I made an adjustable front sight using electrical wire insulation and took "Natalya" to the range.

Dayummm. At 100 yds, off sandbags, iron sights and Brown Bear 174 gr. ammo, my five shot groups were about 2 moa, and several instances of bullet holes touching. I am no great shot but I now see how the Russians could turn some of these rifles into sniper versions. I left the range very satisfied. While my Natalya may be a cheap date, she sure knows how to take care of business.

What are your Mosin experiences?

gandog56

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well let's see. At my last count I had 14 of them. My last three have all been Finns, an M24, M27, and M28.

I also just tried using my first cast bullet reloads in them. I used a 150 gas checked bullet, and 13 grains of Red Dot. Greatly reduced recoil, though they do shoot a bit lower.

SANY0172_zps34d1e524.jpg

Just for fun I also have a Winchester 95 factory chambered in the same 7.62X54R.

Attachments

• SANY0172_zps34d1e524.jpg
      SANY0172_zps34d1e524.jpg
      35.9 KB · Views: 218
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I love shooting mine, A '43 izzy. Not the most accurate gun I have but I like it. After 10 or so rounds fired quickly off hand you can see how the Russians stayed warm in the winter. I think my Mosin kicks less than my '03.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I love shooting mine, A '43 izzy. Not the most accurate gun I have but I like it. After 10 or so rounds fired quickly off hand you can see how the Russians stayed warm in the winter. I think my Mosin kicks less than my '03.

I'd agree with that... an '03 can get pretty uncomfortable after 20 or 30 rounds.

gandog56

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah, well my Steyr M95 8X56R are a bit worse, but that is exactly why I tried these reduced pressure cast rounds with a pistol/shotgun powder. It's not exactly like shooting a .22, but it sure is a lot softer to the old shoulder. Just ordered 200 more of those 150 grain gas checked bullets.

Nice thing is the same bullets also work well in my 30.08's, .303 Brits, and .308 rifles.

Haven't tried them in my SKS.

Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    After the military service rifle match last sunday at the Escambia River Gun Club range, my buddy shot this target 20 times at 50 yards with his clunky Mosin Nagant with surplus ammo:

Big raggedy hole

Fun day!

Last edited:

Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No.
    Iron sights off bags.
    He was some kind of Marine shooting instructor.
    Super nice fellow and what he can do with his AR15 is astonishing.
    No shooting jacket.
    No shooting glove .
    All in the $ black at 50 & 100 easy as you please.
    He's just out to have a good time with the rest of us. No bragging just havin fun.

Next match is 5th sunday in June. Come and shoot with us!
    Need 20 rounds.
    5 @ 50yds off bench.
    5 @ 50yds standing.
    Same thing at 100 yds.
    5 weapon catagories must be "as issued" to mass troops except for AR-15 class where anything goes as long as no scope are used.
    Lotsa fun.

Last edited:

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Your friend has some skills! The match sounds like a good time. The good Lord willin' and the creek don't rise, I plan to be there and give it a try.

Charles

Top Bottom