• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alientaz

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looking at both of these presses and wondered if any one with experience could tell me the good, bad and the ugly. Thanks alot

itsazonik

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use the load master for all my handgun ammo. It's a great press once you get it set up right. Took me a while to get it working the way it's supposed to. I always had trouble with the chain for the powder measure. I replaced it and now it works great. The main difference is the 5 hole turret in the load master. Gives you a little more flexability

Last edited:

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have the loadmaster, and like having the extra features. I think that if I was buying the 1000 series, I'd buy one in each caliber and set them up side by side.....that way....once I got them set I wouldn't have to change anything.

itsazonik

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I thought of that but decided to buy a new ar instead. Guess ill have to just switch turrets all the time lol

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I thought of that but decided to buy a new ar instead. Guess ill have to just switch turrets all the time lol
    I don't think most people have the extra $ and space to set up multiple presses, but it would be nice .
    The turret is easy to switch .....its when you have to switch from large/small primers, or have to switch the bullet feed tube setup that it gets to be a little more work than I would like.
    I just dont switch calibers until I'm ready to press a couple thousand at a time.

itsazonik

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah I'm the same way. I make sure I load everything for a specific caliber before I think of switching

Alientaz

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Itsazonik
    How did you replace the chain system and with what? I really want to start reloading but with all the differnt info out there it is really tough to make a decision. Thank you

itsazonik

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It has that stupid ball chain on it. I went to Home Depot and got some real small linked chain and just used small self tapping screws to hold it in place. When I get a chance ill swing by my buddies house and take a picture of it. He's been using it to reload 25,000 pieces of 9mm he got from a range. He's been at it for 3 months now

Alientaz

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That would be awesome to see the pictures. 25k of 9mm I think I would go cross eyed. I originally was looking at the Dillion 550 but not sure with economy the way it is to spend triple would be a smart move.

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I broke the chain on mine a couple times when I first set up ....I replaced it with another ball chain - just a little heavier. I had to drill out the powder charge lever to accept the larger chain. I kind of like the failure point of the chain...since if anything binds up....like it did when I broke mine......the chain breaks without damaging the machine. Just keep a spare chain in your parts kit.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dillon is the only way to go even if it cost more. I have loaded a least 20,000 rounds of 45 40 9mm on a square deal b and you cannot get a better loader anywhere. No chain to mess with. I don't want something that I have to rebuild before you can even start to reload. When I get into 223 I will go to the 550. There warenty is great. They are shooters and know what they are doing. They even speek ENGLISH. The square deal b is only for hand guns. But if you want to load 400 rounds an hour WITHOUT problems that is the way to go.. I am ordering stuff to load when I go back home this summer. The powder throws within .10th grain every time and primers go in every time. By the way the warenty is no bullshit and they mean it. Find one in a dump and they will rebuild it Free. Square deal comes with dies and set up to load. As you can tell I am sold. I have 2 and bought 1 for my son. Don't waste your time on anything else.. Not cheap but its like a scope buy a cheap one and you will be replaceing it. Buy a dillon and keep it.

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I thought the Dillon was more expensive ....actually not that bad @$379. I did not see a case feeder, other than the $250 electric feeder. I don't have 3 hands so Id have to have the case feeder.....the Lee comes with one installed on the press for a total cost of $280.
    Since I do a lot of reloading, It would be worth it for me to get the Dillon If it takes ALL of the feed issues out of the equation. Here is where I start having problems though.... Most of my feed issues are caused by out of spec cases....Say a .380 gets in with the 9mm....or a .40 slips in....then I get a jam. Say I get a small primer .45 mixed in with the larger primer .45....then I get a jam. I dont see how the dillon will fix this issue.
    Lastly, I calculated the break even on pressing 9mm. Of course it will be different for other rounds and the break even will be quicker on both models with more expensive ammo.
    The Dillon costs $629 with the case feeder.....so if I save 10 cents a round ...I have to press 6290 rounds of one caliber to break even.
    The Lee Loadmaster with case feed costs $280 ...so if I save 10 cents a round...I have to press 2800 rounds before I'm in the clear.
    I'm all about quality, but I don't think its as cut and dried as some would have you believe. I started reloading to save money and always have plenty of ammo. I have more than accomplished this with the lee. Have I had some headaches...yes....but still success.
    Can anyone with a Dillon say they have had NO headaches?....I hope so, but Id have to see it to believe it.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    About the square deal. You dont need 3 hands at all 2 are just fine. About some of the problems you spoke of that can't see you would have. 1 I keep my brass seperate and only load 1 cal. at a time so see no reason to have a 45 in with my 9mm. Also my primers are also for the cal I am loading. You have to load your tube with cases one at a time so why not put them in the turret on the press while loading instead of stopping to fill the tube.. The time you spend filling you could be loading. when filling the primer tube I only fill large or small primers at one time. See no way you would Get primers mixed up there. I did'nt say there was never a problem 'only that dillon customer service was outstanding and they will help you out on the phone with any that you might have. That means trouble shooting with you. And if you do tear something they send the new part no questions asked. Load with what ever works for you but I will stick with my dillon. Over 20,000 and no trips to the hardware store for light pull chain and lost time loading. I am not sure about thw warrenty on your loader but I know I will never spend another dine on mine. They even pay the shipping if you would happen to tear it up. Load on one if you ever get the chance, don't take my word for it. Oh the person that sold me on dillon shot 40,000 a year in comp..I would put the letters down but would get them wrong but it was the one that Rob Leaborman shot in. Have a good day and hope to met some of you in Pacola on the 23

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You have not run into those problems....or you would understand.
    ...yes I separate my cases as well.....but a .380 is soooo hard to see in the middle of a bucket of 9 mm....so every now and then one slips through. A .40 is just large enough to slip around the outside of a 9mm and sometimes they get through.
    I didn't mean that you would get 2 sizes of primers in the machine - for those that don't know.... .45 brass comes In 2 flavors. ...small primer and large primer. The large primer cases are what you get the most....but the small primer cases are out there....and when you hit one unexpectedly....the primer cannot fit...and you get a nasty jam.
    As far as loading the feed tube....the lee has 3 and they are filled via a large funnel. It takes about 10 second to fill them all.....they automatically fall in mouth up.
    In order to get 400 round per hour I assure you that you will need to have one hand on the press handle and one setting the bullets......which means you either need another hand or you will constantly be having to reach for a shell and then back to the handle.....and keep your eyes on both operations at once. Bound to slow you up a bit. I can tell the shell feed and primer feed are working by sound, which leave me free to watch the powder drop and make sure I don't smash my bullet feeding fingers.
    For me it's all about using my limited time to produce the most quality rounds I can at a price that does not leave me paying retail prices. I just wanted to point out that if anyone wants to get into reloading...they need to consider how committed they are to producing large amounts of product. That has to be a factor in what machine you buy.
    Love to meet you sometime....always nice to talk reloading

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I did not know that there are 2 dif size primers in 45. All I have is some 5000 rounds of some win match brass that a guy in the mil picked from a match when he was active service. So I don't have that problem. You are right you pick up a case and the bullet at the same time and then work the handle. Not as hard as it would seem. I have never smashed a finger... well maybe once but you learn to time things. Kind of like not hitting your thumb when driving a nail. I guess I always cleaned my brass by cal so they were never mixed up when I was loading. I am happy with 400 rds an hour. I guess the main thing about a square deal b for handgun ammo is it works.and I am happy with the speed. Don't need to load 6 or 8 hunderd an hour. The way they stand behind there product. To tell you the truth you are the first person I have talked to that did'nt have a hole lot of problems with theres. I know start up cost is kind of high in these times but they last forever. Check out some vids on u tube The chick on there site isn't hard to look at either. If I was going to load rifle I would go to the 550 but that is pricey for sure. Happy loading Just another question. Does the lee come with dies. Square deal b does 550 does not. Got to go till later NASCAR is on the tube

Top Bottom