HD Tactical

Im debating starting a Lawn Mowing Business - Any Advice?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Im thinking of starting a lawn mowing business after having helped a buddy on random weekends for a few years.

Any advice from people with more wisdom/ experience?

Longtooth

Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    seems like alot of them out there...but that is probably just because there is so much business. noone wants to do their own work anymore.
    So from what I have seen in my limited experience - There is a low barrier to entry (You need a Mower and work ethic) and there are lots of older folks who can't / don't want to spend time mowing. :)

nwfdub

Expert
    My .02 advice; Don't start any business in a Demonrat downturn economy. This is spoken from experience. Put your money in the safe. Wait until not only a Republican fixed economy, but 2 years after, where their policies have been put into place. Right now, the policies in place are what killed a lot of small business.

Sent from my SM-G715U using Tapatalk

Longtooth

Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    My .02 advice; Don't start any business in a Demonrat downturn economy. This is spoken from experience. Put your money in the safe. Wait until not only a Republican fixed economy, but 2 years after, where their policies have been put into place. Right now, the policies in place are what killed a lot of small business.

Sent from my SM-G715U using Tapatalk
    Most of the advice from friends in the business has been to no get a tax id just yet. See how it goes, maybe make some cards with my number on them and spend time figuring out how much to charge. :)

ccc

Master
    I have done this several times in my life. Three things I can point out. I offered any regular weekly customer $5.00 off each cut FOR LIFE for every referral they gave me that became a regular weekly cut. Also you will have cheap @sses that will only want you to cut every couple of weeks to save money, they could care less knee high grass is destroying YOUR equipment, if I cut high grass I charged EXTRA. Also time is money, you are there to cut not spend 30 minutes picking up dog or kids toys, if the yard is not ready for you to cut when you get there, leave a note and tell them to call you when it is ready.

FLT

Master
    It’s a lot like any other business, a good work ethic is the most important thing. You will do ok till you get big enough to need employees , at that point the problems will present themselves. Ask any business owner , what’s your biggest headache?

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    1. You need an ok truck and a great trailer (or better yet a converted box truck)
    2. You need a good mower (not too big because you have to get to backyards)
    3. You need a weed eater, edger (yes - you need it as it makes yards look professional - do it at least every 2 weeks), blower, several gas cans, broom, big dust pan or other picker upper.
    4. Nice to have - good trimmer, chainsaw, pole saw, leaf vacuum, and some other odds and ends.
    5. A helper once you get a few yards (share in the shit work if you want them to stick around)
    6. Have 10+ nice t shirts screen printed with your logo and always keep a clean one on you and your helper. You may run through 10 a day if you are working hard. You may have to change after each yard. Always look good and always leave the yards looking great.

If you get an enclosed trailer then you don’t have to put everything “up” at night.

You don’t have to spend $20k on new equipment - it just has to work.

Look to work in a specific area! Do not take 10 different yards 45 minutes away from each other.

Once you get one yard in the neighborhood.

Once you have a few yards in a neighborhood pm me and I will give you a great tip to n how to get a lot more.

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    I started a lawn care company in 2008. Right now is very similiar times. I say starting a company in a down turn is ideal. In 2010 there was a lot of turn over in the lawn care industry. Many HOAs went broke with foreclosures, some
    Lawn care company’s packed up and left. Treat these situations as opportunities.

I made the mistake early on of not charging enough. I didn’t notice this until I started paying guys $18/hour to do the work. Keep in mind that you are the owner and the labor, charge enough that you can one day send several employees to these jobs.

If you do what you say you will do then you will get popular quick.

Stay away from those monthly payments. Figure out a way to pay for equipment out of pocket. You will make it much further than the competition who is a slave to the bank.

Longtooth

Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Lots of good information. Thank you guys.

A few things...
    Im not quitting my day job - this would be for afternoons/ weekends (something I can have my son help out with when he gets older and hopefully give him when he comes of age.)

Im not running a zero turn, or even really my rider. Im planning on pushmowering small yards at first. If there's not enough lawns within 4 miles of me... Im just going to pack it up. If I can justify getting a zero turn and taking on bigger jobs I will, but Im thinking of just doing this nice and close to home. :)

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Lots of good information. Thank you guys.

A few things...
    Im not quitting my day job - this would be for afternoons/ weekends (something I can have my son help out with when he gets older and hopefully give him when he comes of age.)

Im not running a zero turn, or even really my rider. Im planning on pushmowering small yards at first. If there's not enough lawns within 4 miles of me... Im just going to pack it up. If I can justify getting a zero turn and taking on bigger jobs I will, but Im thinking of just doing this nice and close to home. :)
    And stay under the tax, WC and insurance radar for as long as possible. Ymmv

Grits1/5

Marksman
    Frog should have some good input, since I think he works in the industry. I had a lawn care side business years ago. It’s an easy and lucrative side hustle, if you keep it small. Expanding out can be more profitable, but more headaches and expenses. Keeping your equipment running and maintained is problem for many companies; not too many repair shops and they are usually backed up, so it can become important to have a spare mower or know how to fix stuff on your own. If a string trimmers or blower goes down, it’s cheap enough to buy a new one at a home improvement store, but an expensive commercial zero turn mower is a different story. Do good work, charge fair prices, and you will have plenty of loyal customers. As a one man show, it’s pretty simple and easy. When you expand out and have to hire employees, it becomes a lot more complicated. Taxes/payroll, and unreliable workers, lol. Getting good workers is very hard. If you pay low wages you get crappy, unreliable workers. If you pay high wages, you might get a good workers, but it’s no guarantee . You are your own best employee

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Don't limit it to just lawn maintenance. As a kid I posted signs at my neighborhood entrance, that I was willing to help do just about anything and I got way more work in my neighborhood by picking up people's trash, hauling it off and recycling metal than I ever did mowing

Top Bottom