• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BloodDawg

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I will take her to a range next weekend and rent a few to see what she likes. I have a few rifles and a 12 gauge winchester with a 28" barrel. Too big really for home defense. Especially when she's 5'5" 110lbs. And she wont let me get another shot gun so I figured hand gun would be the next step

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I will take her to a range next weekend and rent a few to see what she likes. I have a few rifles and a 12 gauge winchester with a 28" barrel. Too big really for home defense. Especially when she's 5'5" 110lbs. And she wont let me get another shot gun so I figured hand gun would be the next step

Depending on which model winchester, it is, you may be able to modify it for the job without too big of an investment or having to buy another gun.
    Both of my shotguns have full length barrels and extension tubes since I like the capacity and don't mind the weight, but there's no way any of my girls could handle the shotguns in close quarters. They can shoot clays, but that's about it.
    If she's that small, she may have a hard time racking the slide on a semi auto, and may decide that a revolver is easier for her to use. I've seen that happen with my girls. Just a thought. Good luck at the range, let us know how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

BloodDawg

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    And to poff09. I have between 350 and 400 to spend, and the only hand gun I have ever fired was a .38 special and that had a nice kickback. So as you can see I'm not very familiar with hand guns, that's why I asked for suggestions. The gun rental was a good suggestion. Dan1612, It's a winchester 1200 2 3/4" with interchangeable chokes.

TURTLE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For home protection, why not a shotgun? when you really need to use it, you wanna make sure you don't miss, under any circumstances,.

I have a few but my goto first choice just for easy and size and damage, the Judge. Best of three worlds. You can have the penetration of a Gold Dot 45LC, or anything from bird shot to the PDXI bad ass shells. You have the reliability of a revolver, the damage and other benefits of a shot gun, and the stopping power of a big ass bullet. JMO.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would have to be in the quality revolver camp for hand guns and a no experience shooter but my first choice would be a 20 ga. shotgun for her.

When you go rent guns, make her load the magazines and rack the slide. Many women can't safely rack the slide on a semi-auto. Many semi-autos have longer harder trigger pulls than any quality revolver.

fishingjean

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That sounds very good, anybody been hit in the eyes with the strobe from a streamlight c-4??I can tell you from experience you wont see anything for several sec. or more, especially in a dark hallway, having a plan with your wife an kids is most important. A lot of people say it could never happen to me an just don't worry about it!Big mistake, just saying!!!!

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    That sounds very good, anybody been hit in the eyes with the strobe from a streamlight c-4??I can tell you from experience you wont see anything for several sec. or more, especially in a dark hallway, having a plan with your wife an kids is most important. A lot of people say it could never happen to me an just don't worry about it!Big mistake, just saying!!!!

Strobe capability is certainly a plus. It can serve as dynamic cover, should you have to make it out in an open area, such as crossing the living room to get to your kids on the other side of the house. Really all just depends on your situation and setup, but a plan and stacking the odds in your favor is the name of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

BloodDawg

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am a semi auto guy, but I have multiples. The most reliable handgun is a revolver, Like JW said, take her to a range that has rental guns, like the indoor right next to you and try some out.

Where is this range you are talking about thats in FWB/Mary Esther, I've searched the internet and can't find anything on it

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    For the $400 dollar range you can look at several lower quality guns. I would recommend a Ruger SR9 or SR40, might find a good used glock in various calibers in that price range as well. You can also by a new remington 870 or mossberg 500 shotgun as mentioned above for that price point.

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

I did that with my wife and then to a gun show and she handled ALOT of guns and liked the Walther P-99(9mm) the best.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If you will give a call and don't mine going to jay I will help you out, you want have to rent any thing cover ammo or bring some I have most any thing that you would want to try out and a place to do it, I have been teaching and training for over 14 years. 850-572-6611 just my 50 cents jj

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    if you will give a call and don't mine going to jay i will help you out, you want have to rent any thing cover ammo or bring some i have most any thing that you would want to try out and a place to do it, i have been teaching and training for over 14 years. 850-572-6611 just my 50 cents jj

this 100%^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    +3 on JJ. Great guy, wealth of knowledge and some even better stories. :D

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

BloodDawg

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you will give a call and don't mine going to jay I will help you out, you want have to rent any thing cover ammo or bring some I have most any thing that you would want to try out and a place to do it, I have been teaching and training for over 14 years. 850-572-6611 just my 50 cents jj

That sounds like a great offer. Will just have to get with my wife! Thank you!

Top Bottom