• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dwatts1984

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know many people endorse the RCBS Rockchucker, and Dillon products... However it seems a progressive press like the Lee's that Ive been looking at might be able to spit out more rounds per hour. Just curious if anyone owns one. If they like it. Also if they would recommend it.

If a person was only going to reload a couple calibers it seems something like the Lee progressive would be a great investment...

Any input is appreciated!

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you're loading pistol ammo only then a progressive is OK, albeit not the best way to jump into reloading. You really need to learn the dos and don'ts before you start cranking out bags of reloads. Strict attention must be paid in all the steps to insure a safely loaded round.

The press is not the only equipment you'll need, even as a basic beginner. Some of the basic tools required are a good loading manual, calipers, scales, dies and possibly a powder throw. This is just the basics, and for handgun ammo. Rifle ammo requires a few more tools.

Lee equipment has been around a long time and millions of rounds have sucessfully be loaded using their equipment. But other than their dies their equipment is cheaply made compared to the other name brands. A Rock Chucker or similar press will last for centuries and never wear out. I doubt Lee can make the same claim, but then again their stuff is much more affordable.

You'll get as many opinions on the subject as there are brands of loading equipment, this is mine. I suggest starting out with a single stage press and learning the process slowly and carefully before you start pulling the handle and cranking out a bunch of improperly charged rounds. You also need to get familar with your equipment. Does you powder throw increase or decrease weights as the hopper emptys, and other such things that can have an important effect on the final product.

Again, this is just my opinion. Feel free to ask any question you may have, even if you think it's stupid. There's really no dumb question where life and limb are concerned.

Rick

Dwatts1984

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Rick I agree. I guess Im thinking a bit tooooooo far ahead. Probably should focus more on the "now". Thanks for the input

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What Rick said.
    I bought my Rockchucker new around 1972. The only part that has ever failed was the plastic primer catcher. After 10 years it started crumbling like most all 70s era plastics.

Unless you shoot pistol competition or do magazine dumps all the time a single stage will serve you well.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Rick I agree. I guess Im thinking a bit tooooooo far ahead. Probably should focus more on the "now". Thanks for the input

There's absolutely nothing wrong in thinking ahead, especially when the price of everything goes up daily. If you really want a progressive press then by all means get one while the gettin's good. Dillon is by far the best for progressives and a great company with which to do business.

But I still stand by my opine that a single stage is the best way to begin. You can rent my friend's reloading room at a very reasonable cost and try out a bunch of different presses to see what you like. He will also teach you all the aspects of the hobby. I can also show you the ropes on my single stage if you'd like to stop by when I'm reloading. Same goes for anybody here.

Rick

losracani

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just got the Lee Precision 50TH anniversary kit for Christmas. I'm just waiting on the brass and bullets to come in. A friend of mine has been reloading for 40 years and will show me how to do it right. I'll report back on this press once I get use to it and have something to report on.

joraca

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I bought my first Lee 1000 about 25 years ago. Used it to load .45 ACP for bullseye.

I switched to silhouette about 15 years ago. Added another one.

Had one set up for a light .357 Mag load, the other for a heavy load. The loads used different casings, bullets, powder, charge weight and primers.

They work pretty good once they are timed right, you learn to listen to the rhythm of the machine while you load, and you operate it with an unchanging rhythm.

If you change your rhythm for any reason, I'd recommend pulling and dumping the casing with the powder charge, to reduce the risk of squibs or double charges.

When they get out-of-time, it is usually either a matter of bending the Z-bar, or changing the timing with the adjustment screw. Pretty simple.

I'd load about 200 rounds for a match. It would take about 30 minutes, including loading the shell casings, primers and powder.

Joraca

Last edited:

Floorguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Have the lee progressive i think it is the 1000 and the rcbs once you get everthing right that lee is a beauty used to load 9 mm 38 and 357 of course that was twenty years ago. Ready to get bavk into it because of price and starring at empty shelves.

Top Bottom