• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tji

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Recently purchased a fiber optic front site for my new Smith & Wesson 617 .22 revolver. It’s not a difficult job for someone who knows what they’re doing and has the right tools—it apparently needs to be drilled to accept a roll pin that will secure it to the front sight mount—but I am neither.

Can anyone recommend someone who isn’t too backed up and could do a quick job like that?

Thanks!

kimbernut

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I would be locating JJ who is a senior member on the forum. JJ is very knowledgeable on firearms machining and repair. Check pm for more info

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Beautiful gun, truly an heirloom. S&W makes a 617 with changeable front sights. My point is they already have the technology and the expertise as opposed to someone that has the knowledge but hasn't done this before. My guess is they would remove the barrel if they did the work. There is more to it than drilling a hole and putting a roll pin in. I know you've considered front sight height. Up is down and down is up. I would call S&W to see if they would do this for you. Or someone like Wilson Combat. I would not cheap out on the installation. You already spent a boat load on the host. IMO If I've overstepped, well I've never been short of an opinion, sorry.

tji

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Beautiful gun, truly an heirloom. S&W makes a 617 with changeable front sights. My point is they already have the technology and the expertise as opposed to someone that has the knowledge but hasn't done this before. My guess is they would remove the barrel if they did the work. There is more to it than drilling a hole and putting a roll pin in. I know you've considered front sight height. Up is down and down is up. I would call S&W to see if they would do this for you. Or someone like Wilson Combat. I would not cheap out on the installation. You already spent a boat load on the host. IMO If I've overstepped, well I've never been short of an opinion, sorry.
    No, you didn’t overstep at all. Your opinion was a good one, and I appreciate the insight. You are right that the gun was expensive and heirloom quality, so maybe I should consider sending it to S&W. Thanks for the insight.

ammodave

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Seems pretty straight forward to me. A simple job for a competent amateur or any smith. Can't imagine any need to remove the barrel. Tap out the pin and remove the oem sight. If the new sight doesn't already have a mounting hole then you have to drill a hole in the new sight.

Top Bottom