• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Famine

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Had taken a good buck with my crossbow during bow season, a nice doe during doe season with my .270 and had a doe tag to fill so I thought I would try for my first pistol kill.

I used my S&W .460 Mag with Leupold Var III pistol scope and Hornday 200 gr FTX. I had previously zeroed it at the range at 100 yds. Took a neck shot at 40 yds - she dropped instantly - shot broke her neck. What you see in the picture is the way I found her and the exit wound. Life is good.

Attachments

• SW.460.JPG
      SW.460.JPG
      34 KB · Views: 165
    • Deer.JPG
      Deer.JPG
      92.9 KB · Views: 161
    Last edited:

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sweet! I'm in the market for a hunting handgun. Would you recommend the 460 as far as shootability, not just in a hunting situation?

Thanks!

Famine

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Depends on what you are looking for. The bipod comes standard with this version of the .460 as it weighs 5.5 pounds empty and without bi-pod o r scope. Not something most can easily shot off hand. Recoil is manageable with the 200 gr round - have not shot any heavier loads to be able to tell you more and a box of ammo runs about $30 depending on where you buy it. On the other hand muzzle velocity with 200 grs is about 2200 FPS making it pretty flat shooting and I found it accurate to 100 yds..max at the range I was zeroing it. I also had to use the high power range - and with the muzzle break I had to try to find empty lanes on either side and caution those that came to shoot next to me that the report was extremely loud and the concussion from the muzzle break for anyone standing to the side could be painful. I must confess that it gets a lot of attention when I do bring it out and more the first time I fire it. MSRP is $1499.00 but I have seen them for sale between $1200 - $1300.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I think the big advantage vs the 500 is that you can actually practice with it using the lighter loads and work on accuracy. Whereas with a 500, unless you're a stone cold badass, flinching WILL be a factor and will affect your practice.

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think the big advantage vs the 500 is that you can actually practice with it using the lighter loads and work on accuracy. Whereas with a 500, unless you're a stone cold badass, flinching WILL be a factor and will affect your practice.

Aww come on Dan. My wife shoots my .500 with a 350 gr xtp and she's 110 lbs.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Depends on what you are looking for. The bipod comes standard with this version of the .460 as it weighs 5.5 pounds empty and without bi-pod o r scope. Not something most can easily shot off hand. Recoil is manageable with the 200 gr round - have not shot any heavier loads to be able to tell you more and a box of ammo runs about $30 depending on where you buy it. On the other hand muzzle velocity with 200 grs is about 2200 FPS making it pretty flat shooting and I found it accurate to 100 yds..max at the range I was zeroing it. I also had to use the high power range - and with the muzzle break I had to try to find empty lanes on either side and caution those that came to shoot next to me that the report was extremely loud and the concussion from the muzzle break for anyone standing to the side could be painful. I must confess that it gets a lot of attention when I do bring it out and more the first time I fire it. MSRP is $1499.00 but I have seen them for sale between $1200 - $1300.

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Lol. I thought you might bust my balls over that post.
    After getting it back from being Cerakoted, I tried re sighting the irons using the old Platinum tips. I'd get a couple of good shots in and a flier. I kept throwing shots off. With the FTX or even XTP, I didn't have a problem the first time out, but that time, I only had the platinum tips and they are NASTY!
    I do see utility in being able to shoot ammo for practice that costs less than. $3 per round, and a much wider range in factory loads with the additional calibers.
    Like I said, I am NOT a stone cold badass, maybe she is. Recoil management is also more about experience and technique than size IMO.

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Lol. I thought you might bust my balls over that post.
    After getting it back from being Cerakoted, I tried re sighting the irons using the old Platinum tips. I'd get a couple of good shots in and a flier. I kept throwing shots off. With the FTX or even XTP, I didn't have a problem the first time out, but that time, I only had the platinum tips and they are NASTY!
    I do see utility in being able to shoot ammo for practice that costs less than. $3 per round, and a much wider range in factory loads with the additional calibers.
    Like I said, I am NOT a stone cold badass, maybe she is. Recoil management is also more about experience and technique than size IMO.

She likes to think she is anyway. Lol. I actually share your opinion in preference of the .460 over the .500 BTW for the same reasons.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I have since sold the 500, but If I decide later that I MUST have an Anaconda, I'll get it in 45lc, and the 460 as it's caliber partner.

By the way, Sir, great shooting and great pistol.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    You should have had a bigger caliber to make sure of the kill...LOL Good grief, think you took a big enough gun for our tiny deer?

You have to admit though, it's much better to see that than a deer gut shot with a tiny caliber run off, only to be found after the coyotes get to it. More efficient and humane, IMO.

Famine

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I do have other options like my Ruger .357 or .44 mags but neither is really setup for hunting - no way I would have taken the shot I did with either and iron sights. For me the clean ethical kill was the driver a plus was no loss of meat with the neck shot.

Top Bottom