• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    well,

I finally ordered some refinishing doo-dads for the ol' mossy 20ga pistol grip shotty I tore down a month and a half ago. Gonna go with duracoat in Titanium Gray with black furniture. Was looking forward to ordering some badass new furniture, forend and pistol grip....until I found it nearly impossible to find 20ga mossberg foregrips!!!!!!

Anyone got any leads to some mossberg 20ga foregrips? Would be happy with a hogue overmold or something of the sort. But seems hogue is only catering to the 12ga...or at least thats all I've found all night.

Any leads would be highly appreciated.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    got the receiver, barrel, and magazine tube aluminum oxide blasted today. Duracoat showed up minutes after I got home. Will be spraying duracoat very soon. Gonna give it proper time to cure before I assemble anything...or at least try to give it proper time.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Let me know how it goes, I've been dragging my feet on duracoating... I'll let you give me some pointers :D.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    gonna get with a buddy to use his air compressor hopefully this weekend. Might just bone up and buy one at harbor freight tomorrow.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    reading RECOIL magazine, found a coupon for the compressor I was looking at from Harbor Freight. WINNING!

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    no I didnt. I've had a pasche airbrush for years from when I painted my RC car bodies. (I suck at airbrushing detail, but for small work, the low psi makes for some nice coverage on light parts that would blow around with a detail gun at higher pressure). I got the 3 gallon 100psi pancake compressor, a $13.99 detail gun, and a compressor "starter kit" that comes with hose, fittings, blower, air chuck, etc for $14.99. All in all I think I left with spending about $73. Stopped by wallyworld and got some measuring spoons for $1.99 so my wife didnt chew my ass for ruining hers, haha, I feel like this was a good thing.

Got home, took paint and shotgun parts outside to acclimate to outside temperature. Hung the metal parts on wire in the sun to heat the metal for better bonding of the duracoat. In the meantime, loaded some thinner into the new detail gun to test the pressure and nozzle on some wood. Got a good vertical fan going and then mixed the duracoat. Did 2 tbsp duracoat to 4 tsp of hardener (or vice versa, 2 of the larger and 4 of the smaller, I think I got it right). 1st coat I went real light, second coat went light and hit the hard to reach spots, third coat laid it a lil bit thicker, and touched up lightly again on 4th and final coat. When I say light coats, I mean light light coats. Just enough to get material on but not enough to make a solid "layer" of duracoat. I didnt want to overdo it, which I have a tendency of doing.

The color I chose is similar to the alum. oxide blasted steel/aluminum, very hard to tell consistent coverage in the sun. Inside, its a bit darker, darker like titanium with an ever so slight blue tint to it. Its gonna look GREAT once assembled. Now just gotta wait....I cant wait to have patience. Should be able to handle it in an hour or so, but gonna wait a week to assemble. Cross your fingers for me and hope the slide action doesnt rip it right down to metal first time I rack it

Last edited:

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    dang it looks good! Love the way the duracoat layed into the metal. Will give it a few more days to cure before I attempt reassembly

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    finally cured well enough to reassemble. Seems pretty durable at this point. Will get harder with time, ready for heavy use in a few more days.

hard to get the real color of this. Its called Titanium Blue. Like Titanium, it is a darker shade of gray, with hints of blue mixed in. The pics are pretty good representation of the color.

linkovich

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Did you ever find a new fore end? I have the same exact gun and had the same problem. I ended up just using a 12 ga fore end and it actually fit pretty well.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom