• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PJOHNB

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm new to ar's so first where in P'cola sells Magpul furniture and second what muzzle break would you recommend to counter muzzle rise but at the same time keeping the flash to a minimum. I just want to keep rise and recoil low so I can make fast accurate follow up shots and does changing the buffer to like a spikes tactical st-t2 buffer make any difference. Thanks

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Little Jacks Guns on here should have the magpul stuff that you need at a reasonable price, I have also seen it at Mikes ( expensive ), Bass Pro ( expensive ) and Jays ( expensive ).

I haven't encountered any issues with recoil or muzzle rise with standard A2 hiders, I have a POF gun with a brake on it, as well as several guns with AAC brakes / flash hiders and I have found that brakes are LOUD and create a lot of flash. When you are shooting 223 / 556, there really just isn't much recoil to begin with so I think that a brake is sorta unnecessary.

Maybe I am not all that discriminating, but I don't notice a tremendous difference between them recoil wise.

As far as reducing flash, I think that the 3 prong AAC / Vortex hiders are supposed to do a pretty good job, but I don't do a lot of night shooting to know for sure. My only complaint with the AAC hiders in particular is the tuning fork like ping that they produce, I can hear it even with the suppressor on.

I am not familiar enough with AR buffers to know what kind of difference that a buffer will make in shooting characteristics.

Hope I've helped a little.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    A brake and a flash hider are for the most part two separate things. A brake is closed at the end and a flash hider is open. A brake is designed so that the high speed/high pressure gases are forced out the sides before they exit out the front just behind the bullet. A flash hider is usually open at the end so that ambient air is mixed with the burning gases so that the flash is reduced over a period of time usually measured in milliseconds.

There are several devices that do both haffass. They are rather expensive. A true flash hider is the VORTEX type. they usually try to limit the flash with by swirling the exiting gases. There are some GREAT brakes out there. The JP "tank" style brake is the very best but it is fuglie,heavy,and glomie. But DAMN does it work. Especially on the ultra heavy recoiling guns. I had one on a 24" AR(223Rem) and I have hit a yote 3 times before he could hit the ground.

Remember also....any device the redirects the gases and/or flash anywhere except straight out the end of the bbl will be LOUD. Some extremely loud.

I feel that the only buffer that will actually limit recoil to a noticeable level is the hydraulic type. They are expensive though. As stated above,for the most part a 223/5.56 does not warrant a brake. I had one so that I could target multiple coyotes extremely quickly. Be very carefull when changeing the buffers. It will DIRECTLY effect reliability if the wrong one is chosen. A hunting gun is one thing,a HD/SD gun is an entirely different matter.

I know you did not ask but allow me to state...use some of that flash hider/muzzle brake money on a good aftermarket trigger. Triggers are a/the weak point of any otherwise good shooting AR.

Enjoy that AR. ---- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Farmer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As far as muzzle breaks go, I have read a lot of good things about the AAC Blackout 51T.
    FN puts them on their SCARs and they appear to work great.

And I definitely agree with SAWMAN: Get a trigger. I love the JP and Mega adjustables.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As far as muzzle breaks go, I have read a lot of good things about the AAC Blackout 51T.
    FN puts them on their SCARs and they appear to work great.

And I definitely agree with SAWMAN: Get a trigger. I love the JP and Mega adjustables.

My scar came with a primary arms FSC 556 on it. The blackout is a flash hider, but AAC does make a brakeout (single chamber brake with 3 prong flash hider) and a brake that allow suppressor mounting.

Farmer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sorry, I was definitely mistaken, the muzzle break that I was talking about is made by PWS, and it was mounted on both the SCAR 16 and 17 I was looking at. Here's a link with a picture of the break.
    FN's symbol was on top of the break so I assumed they were stock...

http://top-notch-firearmsales.com/ny_compliant

Last edited:

Gravity3694

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm new to ar's so first where in P'cola sells Magpul furniture and second what muzzle break would you recommend to counter muzzle rise but at the same time keeping the flash to a minimum. I just want to keep rise and recoil low so I can make fast accurate follow up shots and does changing the buffer to like a spikes tactical st-t2 buffer make any difference. Thanks

This is the only reason I recommend and use muzzle brakes. Yes, the AR15 has low recoil, but in certain gas lengths such as the carbine length, muzzle flip noticeably will slow you done in getting rounds on target.

I'm personally use the Battlecomp and Surefire MB556K. Of the two I find that the Battlecomp has a good balance between flash and recoil suppression. The MB556K is ridiculously stable with very little if any muzzle rise in my use, the flash can be heavy when you do mag dumps, but its not so so bad.

As for muzzle flash with muzzle brakes, I would rather be able to put more rounds on target, than be hidden at night and I'm willing to take some concussion. That being said, I'm not dumb enough to put a muzzle brake on an SBR and I try to be mindful at the range around others.

PS, I know the Battlecomp and MB556K cost about $150, but Spikes Tactical's Dynacomp and PWS FSC556 are great brakes for the cost.

I find that buffers don't do much to help recoil, they are there to tame cycling issues and reduce bolt bounce, recoil mitigation is just secondary if any help.

Here's a good video series that demos just about every name brand muzzle device on the market.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I also use a PWS (PRI) brake on my 6.8SPC AR, It works great and is especially made for the 6.8 bore size.

The size of the exit hole makes a big difference when installing a brake. Before installing any brake or flash hider.......do your homework,and try to talk to someone that uses the device on a similar weapon. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• SANY0014.jpg
      SANY0014.jpg
      146.3 KB · Views: 189
    Top Bottom