• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    As statdoc said tourniquets are the first thing we use in the military now for hemorrhage or any heavy venous bleeding. They have had cases of patients having them on for 14hrs and the doctors still being able to save the limb. And I've actually been able to convert a tourniquet over to kerlix and a pressure dressing after getting out of the line of fire. Just got to know what you are doing. But extremity hemorrhage nothing beats a tourniquet.

statdoc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Some of you must be as old as I am, relating these tales of "what we used to do"! Yes, I remember all that stuff, too, but things have progressed!

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    With the rear facing seat in the BO-105 CBS -- my favorite was a 12 or 14 ga. in the external jugular - wraping the tubing around the ear and taping to secure. Worked great on "minimum scene-time hot loads" since the patient's head was between my knees anyway...

Fun times with lots of memories -- but I'm glad that I'm not working the crappy hours for low pay we got back then. I saw an ad for a flight paramedic position with Guardian Flight up here in Anchorage a couple of days ago -- with an $88K salary for 15 shifts per month. When I left Life Flight in 1988, I was working full-time for the hospital and moonlighting for both Escambia and Santa Rosa EMS -- and barely making $20K per year. The base hourly rate for a Flight Paramedic with Baptist Hospital was $6.17 per hour. When I took the Chief Flight Paramedic position at Erlanger Medical Center's Life Force in Chattanooga for $25K per year in July, 1988 -- I thought I was on my way!

So yes, things have come a long way in 25 years...

Last edited:

statdoc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When I left Life Flight in 1988, I was working full-time for the hospital and moonlighting for both Escambia and Santa Rosa EMS -- and barely making $20K per year.

So yes, things have come a long way in 25 years...
    That's sort of "small world" stuff. I was Medical Director for Baptist Life Flight 1992-1997. I loved that little BO105!

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Your book looks like just what I need statdoc. I'm certified for CPR and the AED and that's the extent of my training unfortunately. I would like to be able to have at least a basic set of skills and supplies just in case.

Latest posts

Top Bottom