• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Urbanfuturistic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had originally brought this up in the SKS thread, but it doesn't really belong there so I'm going to start a new thread....

she's fun to shoot. Has an issue in the trigger which I've yet to figure out/fix. When you fire the trigger stays back and wont reset. Flick the trigger kinda sideways a bit and it resets just fine and fires again. Surely just a burr in the trigger assembly but I cant seem to get the trigger group apart. Gave myself a "garand thumb" when I tried and then quit, haha.

Funny. Im having a similar problem with my Yugo M70B1 AK. It will fire fine for some time and then it will start to do the same thing. The trigger will stay back, and I have to reset it by pulling on it. Its not hard to do, as in, it takes very little pressure. Once reset it fires normally for a time again before it sticks again.

To which Hunkyfish replied:

Sounds like some old cosmoline in the trigger group

Upon further inspection, I do not believe this to be the case. I opened her up and was reminded of something I had forgotten about:

fbb0042c5e1d426a7622099c331b80fe.jpg

The hammer return spring is not seated correctly on the right side. I'm not sure much that would play into my trigger problem, but lets not rule it out. Any ideas?

Also, forgive the shite iPad pic.

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The Ak trigger group is pretty easy to take apart. You just have to rotate the safety lever to vertical, and remove it from the receiver. You will either have a retainer plate or a Shepherds crook on the left side of the receiver that will need to be removed. the pins for the hammer and trigger group will now slide out and release the parts.
    The only tricky part is the hammer spring.....the legs that rest on the trigger should be pulled back , hooked behind the hammer and secured with a twist tie.
    If you are having problems with the trigger reset, the only places that could cause a problem would be : an abnormality on the mating surfaces between the disconnector and hammer , an out of spec trigger hole cutout in the bottom of the receiver, or friction between the trigger/disconnector/pin.
    Once you get the hammer out of the way , you will be able to test for function of the trigger...there should be no resistence at all with the spring removed.
    Dont file any of the mating faces on the trigger, disconnector, or hammer.
    If you need more help, let me know. I like fixing broken guns. Especially AKs!

Urbanfuturistic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was fooling with it some more last night and I discovered that it is the hammer spring, getting caught up in the trigger itself, because it doesnt sit in there right. So Im guessing that means I need a new hammer return spring?

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If it wont stay hooked in the correct spot, you could take it out and see if you could bend that leg a little.
    A replacement spring might not be a bad idea .
    I set my spring to the same position as yours in the photo, and could not get it to interfere ....is it a little too long?...could you clip a little off the end?

Urbanfuturistic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Im not sure, and I would rather not experiment with it, without having a new one sitting safely in on the table next to me.

However, if you would like me to bring it to you, and recreate it so you can see it yourself, I will be more than happy to.

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Im not sure, and I would rather not experiment with it, without having a new one sitting safely in on the table next to me.

However, if you would like me to bring it to you, and recreate it so you can see it yourself, I will be more than happy to.
    id be glad to look at it....but I have to warn you that the first thing I'd do would be to pop the spring out and bend it back into spec.
    .....soooooo ...you might want to order the spring anyway.
    Those springs are pretty tough....I doubt you could break it if you tried.
    I'll pm you my #

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had this problem with my WASR at the range, 30 dollars, 20 minutes, and a Tapco G2 trigger latter and I am no longer being punished, or having the issue.

Ben Ghazi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    really looks like you just need to lift it up with a jewelers screwdriver and move it over and drop it in place

you can bend those spun wire springs to form what you need without breaking them, they are very robust.
    Youtube is a wealth of knowledge so familiarize yourself and solve any problem by watching some of the vids.
    some people give great advice but others not so much .
    easy fix dude

Last edited:
    Top Bottom