• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey, Did Not want to derail the pic thread. How about the best way to mount an optic on an AK? I see the frount cover mount, seems like it may be a bit shaky? I see the back cover mount, thoese are usally shaky. I saw in a stock photo of the gun I bought where it was mounted to rear sight mount. I can not find that mount anywhere.
    What kind of luck are you really having with the 2 most common mounting systems we see here?? I would think the red dot sight would be seceptive to the recoil of ak's alone but when paired with a skaky/loose mounting system it would be worse? Just wonderin before I try to think about one on mine , I like a red dot for plinkin.

ben_p

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you don't have a side rail mount on your receiver then I would either get the Ultimak mount or I have seen some rear sight mounts. Stay away from receiver cover mounts as they wobble around too much and your zero won't hold for long.

Fishyfingers

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The rear sight mount is available at Scoutscopes.com. I have one on an SKS and it's solid as a rock but you'll likely need a very low profile optic or a raised cheekpiece to get a good weld on many stocks. I haven't used an ultimak but am considering one for my AMD.

ted-hurst

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have that midwest industries rail system that has several interchangeable top rails, uses a barrel clamp to mount, very solid. I also have a midwest industries quick detach side mount, its nice and solid too.

RRlocoENGR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you don't have a side rail mount on your receiver then I would either get the Ultimak mount or I have seen some rear sight mounts. Stay away from receiver cover mounts as they wobble around too much and your zero won't hold for long.

I have a Century PAP that came with the dreaded optic rail on the top cover. I like the look of it, but it is a bit unstable. Has anyone ever heard of a way to modify the cover to make it fit tighter, therefore being a better optics mount? Why in the world would they make this type mount if it cannot be stable? At this point, I have no plans to add optics, I plan to use it as a plinker with the iron sights. If I do decide to add optics, would rather mount on the cover rather than add the side mount. Am I dreaming that there might be a way to tighten the railed cover up enough to hold zero?

Thanks!

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A quick detatch side rail mount is the best way. Quick to install or remove and holds zero.
    I have one, but repurposed the optics for my .308 since the iron sight are fine for the ak.
    I would not go to too much trouble to try to improve on sights that are already more accurate than the rifle.....just for cool factor.
    I think that shooters are too caught up in putting cool optics on their rifle instead of learning to use it at it was designed. The ak47 design is one that has not been improved upon yet ....I'd suggest trying it as-is.

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Some of us "older" shooters put optics on our AK's not for the "cool" factor, but to be able to see the damn target. LOL Wait till you young kids start wearing tri-focals. :Cry:

GlockGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have an Ultimak on my Ak47 and it is awesome it was a little tricky to mount at first due to the fact it replaces the gas tube but once you get it figured out and lined up right its good to go solid as a rock. If you go with one id make sure to also use a synthetic bottom handgrip since the wood ones will require trimming to fit properly.

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Today I mounted an Ultimak on my Yugo underfolder. It was a PITA to get it mounted but it looks really nice on the rifle. Going to the range tomorrow to check it out and to see if the gun still works (lol). I'm not very handy taking apart guns and putting them back together again. I'm hoping for the best.

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Thanks. The bolt feels smooth. I'll find out in the morning. I'll report back as to how it goes.

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    It worked. I can't believe that I actually took the rifle apart, installed the Ultimak, put the rifle back together again, and it works perfectly. I can highly recommend the Ultimack for anyone looking for a way to mount an optic on a AK. Check out their website. It's a great product, and it is made in the good ole USA!

Last edited:

GlockGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good job one of the bushnell tr-25 I think it is makes a good companion on the ultimak

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    That's what I have on it, the Bushnell TRS-25. It is, I think a very good companion to the Ultimak and the AK platform. I'm very surprised at the accuracy of this Yugo M70 AB2. It's a nice little combo.

Top Bottom