• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TURTLE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have to ask, why pay the money and spend the time to make a caliber that basicly already exists? It's called the AK round, 7.62x39 instead of 7.62x35. Is there something extremly special about the powder or something?

Drauka99

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Frank, I am not up to snuff on the sub-sonic stuff but generally bullet speed and weight of bullet = power... so to be sub sonic you limit the bullet speed and the largest 6.8 bullet I know of is 130 grains (there could easily be heavier bullets) and the 300BO sub-sonic generally load 220 grain bullets (with a larger diameter) so to me it would seem the 300BO would hold the sub-sonic "power" title. As I said i am not fully up to speed on sub-sonic shooting anc coul;d be well of my mark.

As for the plusses for the 300 BO in the AR platform - you change the barrel and you are ready to shoot 300 BO from your standard AR platform rifle in 223/556... it uses the same bolt and magazines as the 223/556

With a 7.62x39 you have to have another bolt and another magazine to reliably feed the ammo. Also I have read somewhere that the 7.62x39 in an AR platform has issues with reliability... I can't quote that or point you to the documentation but I do remember reading it somewhere.

With the 6.7SPC - the same issue of - different barrel, different bolt and different magazines to operate reliably.

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think a lot of people will be stuck with them after the scare. It seems thats what a lot of companies had to sell.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Personally.....I have no use for it. HOWEVER.......it would be/could be sorta fun with a 22" bbl for my T/C Pro Hunter. And a heavy coutour(.950"-1.20") bbl with a 1:7 twist. I would use it for supersonic with the gazillion Sierra 220's that I have on hand. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Drauka99

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Saw man I never saw a super-sonic load for 220 grain bullets. I am sure it could be done outside of the AR platform but it would have to be a pretty potent powder since you are limited by the 223/556 case capacity. Bet it would be fun though.

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aww. He mad.

Not sure if your comment was directed at me but I am not mad at all. It was observation most barrels & uppers that local stores could order when I asked were 300 BLK. I would assume because not too many people bought them before the scare.

If I had a silencer & reloaded it would be a fun gun to play with.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    You might be right although with the stronger action,no gas usage,and coupled with a 22" bbl,1100fps could be doable. --- SAWMAN

Signal25

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not sure if your comment was directed at me but I am not mad at all. It was observation most barrels & uppers that local stores could order when I asked were 300 BLK. I would assume because not too many people bought them before the scare.

If I had a silencer & reloaded it would be a fun gun to play with.
    It wasnt.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I'm a 300 Blackout nut. I own 8 300 BLK uppers and/or complete rifles in various configurations/action types and barrel materials. Hunting-wise, I've gotten 8 deer and 1 crow with mine and hope to get a hog some day/some night. One of my initial fascinations with it was the ability to make my own brass, especially out of .223/5.56 cases that were tossed for having split necks (that novelty has since worn off). Another fascination was and still is using various pulled 30 caliber bullets that I had bought "some quantity of" over the years, so I'm able to shoot pretty cheap. I even shoot pulled 7.62x39 AK bullets for practice/plinking. I shoot/reload bullets from 108 to 220gr, supersonic, subsonic, fmj, match, hunting, frangible, plated and cast in my 300 BLK rifles. It is a great cartridge for a reloader. Since having had shoulder surgery, I much prefer lighter recoiling rifles, and the 300 BLK meets that criteria. The lighter recoil allows me to mount a PVS-14 on the 300 BLK rifles for night shooting.

Having bought thousands of pulled 220gr Sierra Match Kings, I use them for shooting subsonic suppressed. It's a lot of fun to shoot without hearing protection and be able to hear the clang when shooting at steel plates. When I'm able to attend my brother's annual pig roast at his farm, I bring something suppressed for the guests to have fun with without bothering the other guests with the noise of shooting.

Since the head of the 7.62x39 case is larger, to fit inside the bolt face of the AR bolt, the AR locking lugs are not as thick as .223/5.56 lugs. This has lead to bolt failures in the past, but I think that has mostly been worked out now. The taper to the 7.62x39 case makes it harder to feed reliably in AR size magazines, but I think that has mostly been worked out now. Note: I have a 7.62x39 AR upper. Before they went out of business, CP replaced the followers and springs in 4 of my 7.62x39 mags that wouldn't feed. There have also been failures to fire with 7.62x39 uppers. Some makers had to come out with enhanced bolts and firing pins to overcome that problem. Mine has a Model 1 Sales enhanced firing pin (it protrudes more out of the bolt face to better smack the primer), and I've never had a failure to fire my 7.62x39 upper.

The 300 BLK for MY use is not a long range hunting round...the bullets I use run out of speed to ensure expansion before I run out of ability to hit.

Ben Ghazi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Daezee we share the same interest in this round and have no ammo shortage since it is easy to make our own.
    the reason I do not load the russian 7.62 in my BO is because it is really .311 caliber just like the 303 enfield . they are both .311 caliber and not .308
    also the steel jacked will take the accuracy out of a smaller bore just my 2ct's

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Daezee we share the same interest in this round and have no ammo shortage since it is easy to make our own.
    the reason I do not load the russian 7.62 in my BO is because it is really .311 caliber just like the 303 enfield . they are both .311 caliber and not .308
    also the steel jacked will take the accuracy out of a smaller bore just my 2ct's

I picked up about 12,000 pulled 7.62x39 bullets from Hi Tech a while back at a nice price. The ones I got do not have the steel jacket (not attracted to a magnet). From research I've read, the pressure spike when the bullet hits the rifling and is swaged down to the bore diameter with the slightly oversize bullet is a touch higher than that of .308 bullets, but less than the highest pressure recorded when more of the powder gets burning and the bullet is speeding up. I also monitor bore wear with throat erosion gages and have seen no evidence of increased wear over .308 bullets. As always, your mileage may vary. Predominately, I've been firing them in a SS bbl from Core15.

Matter of fact, I'll be at the range tomorrow testing loads in a 10.3" Daniel Defense 300 BLK upper...looking for an accurate supersonic hunting load that will be shot suppressed. Yes, there still will be the supersonic crack, but it will still be quieter than unsuppressed.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I too have the Handi Rifle...a fun little rifle. I mainly shoot that one suppressed subsonic. I just checked my records and have fired 1555 rounds in the 300 BLK Handi Rifle.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I would rather have a .308 to .457 airgun. They are already subsonic and can push a 200+ grain round 850+ FPS.

Don't need gunpowder. LOL

Personally.....I have no use for it. HOWEVER.......it would be/could be sorta fun with a 22" bbl for my T/C Pro Hunter. And a heavy coutour(.950"-1.20") bbl with a 1:7 twist. I would use it for supersonic with the gazillion Sierra 220's that I have on hand. --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom