• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    The W Was stamped on the receiver in the inspection process before it was ever assembled into a gun. It was reblued before it ever became a gun.
    The W Was stamped on the receiver in the inspection process before it was ever assembled into a gun. It was reblued before it ever became a gun.
    Well that solves that notion I had lol. Thanks

J pace

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just noticed mine has an oddball W in front of the loading gate area. I'll have to dig and see what that's all about now too. They must have stamped them different at some point as the gap between my numbers is closer too
    I was just reading in this book and I thought I would share this with you. Not exactly what I remembered about the rebluing
    20230730_085418.jpg

Maybe so lol. Now that I see this W I'm hoping mine is a little special too lol. Likely a heavy duck mark of some sort tho.
    I want a trench like yours one day tho. Even if I have to modify one. I just love that look. The bayonet is too awesome also.
    Lucky azz! ;)
    Not exactly what I remembered about the rebluing
    20230730_084939.jpg
    20230730_085027.jpg

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I was just reading in this book and I thought I would share this with you. Not exactly what I remembered about the rebluing View attachment 235042

Not exactly what I remembered about the rebluing View attachment 235045 View attachment 235046
    Hmm. That is interesting. As you said when I checked all others said the same thing online and dismissed the W as being it "needed" being "re blued". I'm now more confused. I wonder how the W tracked things in a special way if it was done prior?
    The sperm whale oil part is crazy too. I've heard it's very expensive. Sounds like they really put forth alot of effort in the blues on these. I would never have guessed that in a million years!
    So how are your now interpretating what's being said there ?

J pace

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    He mentions at certain intervals a W was Stamp with the serial number, We do not know what these Intervals were but let's just say every 500 guns. By logging in the serial numbers Between the W stamp guns They could keep quality control Between these groups of guns. IF one receiver IN a group that was blued together messed up there's a good chance they all were contaminated and Would eventually Deteriorate. If a problem arose they could Isolate it to smaller batches.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    He mentions at certain intervals a W was Stamp with the serial number, We do not know what these Intervals were but let's just say every 500 guns. By logging in the serial numbers Between the W stamp guns They could keep quality control Between these groups of guns. IF one receiver IN a group that was blued together messed up there's a good chance they all were contaminated and Would eventually Deteriorate. If a problem arose they could Isolate it to smaller batches.
    Ok makes sense. I saw some mention someplace that Winchester heavy duck full rib barrels was actually another brand with their stamps on them. I'd dig it up but can't recall where I read it from.
    Any truth to that?

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Very nice weapon, I’ve only laid eyes and hands on one of those in my lifetime, was at a pawnshop and must have been 25-30 years ago and sadly had to walk away from it from lack of funds and raising a family at the time, that’s a great piece of history you got there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom