Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by mac the knife View Post
    It states right on the advertisement for this press ? NOT TO USE FOR LEAVER GUNS!
    It does simply because it does not technically have a way to crimp. But I've seen where you can put a taper crimp on it easy enough and other lever gun users on their respective forums have used it. Hmmmm.

Are you willing to sacrifice your gun, or face, or hand to using subpar reloading equipment? 20,000+ pressures aren't something to play with. Be safe and get a single stage press. The price difference is negligible compared to the hand press. As mentioned before, you can bolt it to a 2x6 and use clamps to temporarily mount it. You don't need a dedicated reloading bench, hell a kitchen counter or dining room table would work with the clamps.

3. Likes kidsoncoffee's Post:

This is from the Lee site:
    The Lee Loader neck sizes only, use only with brass fired through your gun. You can reload a round in 30 seconds. Recommended if you’re loading for a bolt action rifle in small quantities.

It neck sizes only and even after several firing you would have to push the shoulders back for a bolt gun. You probably should FL size the cases. I guess it seats too? I think a roll or profile crimp might be better but that is just my opinion.

If you do end up getting this you can feel free to send me your cases to FL size. I will even clean them before I return them . I don't believe I have a case gauge or trim stuff I would have to check. Know I can borrow a trimmer if they need it.

I used one for .308 when I started reloading, I know it’s shouldered case and not a tapered case like a 45-70. Just trying to run those rounds through a bolt action were a pain. I tossed several rounds out because they wouldn’t fit into the chamber without being shoved, some would go in and the bolt wouldn’t want to shut. For a hunting rifle I’d want to full length resize for ease of reloading for a follow up shot. Even with a powder scale the accuracy of the ammo produced was mediocre at best, 3-5” groups @ 100 yds.

I’d find a decent used press and go from there. Might be a little extra money but it’s very much worth it.

I use the hand press for my reloading. Works fine. Its not fast but everything I need to reload with fits away in a filing drawer. A friend of mine uses the little kit you first mention, he likes it for building just a few rounds but even he would tell you to get something else.

I used the lee as a teen put together thousands of 38 spl , mid power wadd cutters , no problem , milk jug at 75 yrds all day , mice rats . Lot of fun , simple , dont push high power loads , they also have a hand loader looks like a pair of pliers , have it in old school look . Uses dies , have fun ,

Quote Originally Posted by Telum Pisces View Post
    OK, I will soon have in my possession a Henry 45-70 lever gun!

I am looking to get into reloading for this round and this round only! Most all of my other guns are rounds that don't make since to reload for.

This gun will be a hunting gun only with the occasional show off at the range gun. So I don't plan to put a lot of rounds through it. I was looking at the simple Lee Kit where it just takes a rubber/plastic mallet to knock a few rounds out. Is there anything wrong with these small little kits for loading 25-50 rounds at a time. I just can't see myself spending the money on factory ammo on this thing over the long haul. And if I can sit at the coffee table and knock a handful of rounds out during a show or something, I like that idea.

It almost seems too simple. But I've watched a ton of youtube videos of folks using this kit for 45-70.

https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Quote Originally Posted by mac the knife View Post
    It states right on the advertisement for this press ? NOT TO USE FOR LEAVER GUNS!
    To further explain is that lever action guns do not have the camming or closing leverage and extraction of a bolt gun. For hunting purposes the cartridge should be full length resized which requires a press that has strong mechanical leverage. A stronger quality press will make sure that the resized shell is true and concentric. If your chamber if right on most single shot actions you can get away with not full length resizing depending on the loads and other factors.

50 CAL
    No more than you are talking about (= BUY THEM= ) ust my 5 cents jj

10. 3 Like oneshot's Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Telum Pisces View Post
    OK, I will soon have in my possession a Henry 45-70 lever gun!

I am looking to get into reloading for this round and this round only! Most all of my other guns are rounds that don't make since to reload for.

This gun will be a hunting gun only with the occasional show off at the range gun. So I don't plan to put a lot of rounds through it. I was looking at the simple Lee Kit where it just takes a rubber/plastic mallet to knock a few rounds out. Is there anything wrong with these small little kits for loading 25-50 rounds at a time. I just can't see myself spending the money on factory ammo on this thing over the long haul. And if I can sit at the coffee table and knock a handful of rounds out during a show or something, I like that idea.

It almost seems too simple. But I've watched a ton of youtube videos of folks using this kit for 45-70.

https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision...ct_top?ie=UTF8
    Not sure why you wouldn't just spend $9 more and get the Lee Single Stage press and mount to a 2 x 6 as suggested. Seems like it would be a lot easier to use IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Reloading...le+stage+press
    Proud American and Air Force Veteran

12. Likes Viking1204's Post:

9MM
    Find somebody that loads for that round and use their equiptment at their place. Ask them to show you how. I'll have my new 12x20 reloading room done in a bit if you want to come use my stuff. I'm in cantonment.

14. 2 Like donut slayer's Post: