Join GulfCoastGunForum For Free

Shooting classes

So just wondering a few things that maybe some folks can lend some input from different perspectives.

In regards to say Pistol/Carbine courses what is the average shooter looking for? If say the company was set up to teach beginner thru advanced courses, what are some of the things that would really matter to you?

Instructor background experience? LE or military? Former Special Operations guys?

Price depending on amount of training involved or rounds expended.

Facility conditions

Instructor to student ratio

Defensive methodology, mindset, resiliency, vignettes?

How in depth would you want to learn? basic safety and fundamentals or drill into hot and cold walls as it pertains to a home invasion scenario.

Would you be interested in leaning basic level ballistics so as to better choose your defensive caliber etc.

Granted this list is not all inclusive and many of you guys already know what I am talking about, but I am just looking for some feedback from fellow gun enthusiast whether seasoned or not as to what would have mattered to you to learn at the outset of your hobby or what you would still like to learn after knowing all that you do.

Thanks for your input.

50 CAL
    Background or experience in LEO or Military not important to me.

Price important but not critically so

Facility not important

Instructor to student ratio I would like it to be no more than 12:1

Defensive methodology medium level of importance - as long is it does not get too talky

In depth of instruction important to me I would want more advanced

45 ACP
    Interesting timing as I am looking for some advanced training. To me;
    Being prior mil/LEO I do prefer instructors from this background (Having said this if given the chance I would sure love to take a class with Jerry or Rob lol.)
    Price is important to me do to my personal responsibilities.
    Smaller student to teacher ratio is something I would be willing to pay more for.
    Mindset/philosophy/ammo choice discussions would be welcome, but secondary to actual live fire tactics execution.
    Facility conditions would also be secondary to me. If they meet training needs and are safe that's good enough for me.

50 CAL
    If I can get 5 people I will set up a class . as I have in the past . It will help you find what level you are at. This will be a 8 hr. class Will cover Mait. Eq. set up, movment, pistol tran. Cover. Close and long range shoot. any other question call 850-572-6611 Will have hand out you keep and noon meal and some equt. if needed cost 60.00 jj

And I have shot with Jerry AND Rob
    Last edited by oneshot; 02-27-2018 at 04:05 PM. Reason: add infor.

5. 4 Like oneshot's Post:

45 ACP
    I will definitely take you up on that! Please count me in! Thank you sir!!

50 CAL
    Im very interested as well. Im in if the schedules line up

I've taken a few classes with oneshot. Very informative and thorough courses.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    --Insert inspirational quote here--

9. Likes JWlineman's Post:

9MM
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    If I can get 5 people I will set up a class . as I have in the past . It will help you find what level you are at. This will be a 8 hr. class Will cover Mait. Eq. set up, movment, pistol tran. Cover. Close and long range shoot. any other question call 850-572-6611 Will have hand out you keep and noon meal and some equt. if needed cost 60.00 jj

And I have shot with Jerry AND Rob
    I would be interested in this provided the scheduling works.. sadly I travel for work a lot so I have to make sure I am in town and caught up on my honey-do list when it happens.

So playing around with ideas as retirement draws ever near. Talked with a lot of folks in the community, both with and without experience. Here is a broad stroke outline of what I am churning around in my head. Unfortunately I will not be able to start my business here locally as when I retire I will be returning to the western U.S. (not California thank God)

So first off I am not looking to get rich or famous or anything if in fact I ever start a firearms instructional business. The goal would mainly be to train folks at all levels of experience from zero to Rambo in the joy of recreational and defensive firearms employment. To that end....

Looking at a student to instructor ratio of 3 to 1. Primary instructors will be former SOF guys, Assistant instructors will be former combat arms guys. RSOs will be a mix but trained nonetheless.

Spartan lodging will be provided. Barracks style if the students so decides to use it. If not they can stay in town in a hotel or their own home if local.

Students will provide own primary long gun, secondary and ammo. Pretty much the student will be encouraged to kit up as they would given whatever situation they find themselves in whether is LE or armed security work etc.

Classes will range in price and duration depending on which class attended. Students must attend previous courses if they wish to attend the more advanced courses. Follows the crawl, walk, run methodology and implements a safety measure so we are not out running the student in course complexity or safety. I do not want folks wasting their time or money if they are already proficient so I am trying to brainstorm a way to be able to "validate" proficiency levels so as not to waste time or money if the person is already tracking on most of the previous course syllabus.

Have a good friend that is guiding me thru the incorporation, LLC, and legal form stuff that needs to be done so everything is on the level.

The syllabus and course offerings are not set in stone yet but have been outlined for the most part. It has been modified from what I am used to teaching in the military such as raids, ambushes, etc. Courses will mostly focus on defensive or reactive scenarios building in complexity and will challenge the student. From fundamentals to development of muscle memory and derisive rapid decision making under stress. Everything building from the ground up. From safety, stance, shot types vs accuracy at different distances, no shoot scenarios and precision shoot/no shoot vignettes. Backdrop consciousness and movement to mitigate if possible. Of course this is not all inclusive and different course offerings will offer different events.

Again not looking to get rich or really make a big business out of it. More looking like a shooting club type of thing where folks can come together and train and improve on their skill sets. I love training and love seeing improvement in both myself and folks I have trained in the past.

All that said I cannot afford to go in debt after retirement either. So in your guys opinion what would be a fair price per head based on the broad strokes description above? Keeping in mind free lodging will be available, usual course length will be up to 10 days. The more beginner courses will be possibly 2 days. 8hr days usually. Class size will be 15 students max and instructors will have a ton of real world SOF and combat experience. So what say you fellow firearm enthusiasts, what would be a fair rate?

50 CAL
    Other things to consider are instructor and rso pay. Meals during the day. Insurance costs. Target supplies (stands and paper) or steel. Doesnt atter what target type, they all degrade over time. Cost of facility/property use. Zoning for that type of business. Any epa requirements (lead pickup). Im sure there is more Im missing.

13. Likes TK5o's Post:

Red