• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Some engineers are very clever and others have experience that they can also rely on. One can set the gas on an AR so that with the perfect weighted buffer it will give the most manageable felt recoil. Works well on the range. In the world of real life having more gas than is needed is what the experienced engineer will consider for when things are not optimal like with fouling, dirt, and with less than optimal ammo.
    Several of my AR uppers came over gassed; that is normal for economy uppers. That is done to ensure function if something is not optimum. I Simply upped the buffer wt and they function fine with any brand of mag and the ejection is to behind and not forward. A down side is that the BCG components might wear or fail sooner. But such parts are cheap and I keep spare parts.

The more gas, the more rapid the BCG speed. The more rapid the BCG speed, the more to the right front will be the ejection pattern. A faster moving bolt will be extracting while chamber pressure is higher. Means more wear on the extractor for example. Everything should be adjusted from what I have read to eject from 3-4:30.

View attachment 89408

Yep, and with no deflector/bullet bump it does the same thing. What???

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don’t buy garbage rifles, but if I did, I’d do the same thing.
    That’s a great pic, it’s what I use when adjusting a gas block after suppressing.
    Garbage, well that depends. If a rifle goes bang when I pull trigger and hits where I aim, it is a useful tool. Fighting weapons to me are potentially disposable. I do have a quality AR upper from alexander arms in 6.5 G. It will not be traveling with me into road blocks or be what I grab in the middle of the night. These 'garbage' guns will not be 0.5' moa rifles, but they will hit a man in the head at two-three hundred yards if I do my part.

I am not looking to stroke my ego with excaliber. But there is certainly nothing wrong with doing that if it gives confidence and a sense of well being. Most of us will never as civilians fire a shot in anger and so having pride of ownership is very important to most.
    the nice thing about ARs is that with time you can rebuild it to just any configuration. I have just switched over from AK's and needed to get multiple uppers prior to the election and that mission has been accomplished. None of mine are in 5.56 yet since I favor larger calibers.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it personally.

What I mean by garbage rifle is a rifle built improperly:
    Castle nut not staked, cheap BCG (key not staked, not chrome lined, non M16 profile, not MPI/HPT, pot metal and or not chromed barrel, gas block not pinned or very carefully rocksett into dimples, overgassed port.
    Will it go bang? Yes, probably most of the time, but much like dancing with ugly women, life’s too short to mess with that.

What thread was this again? Oh yeah, buffers. Well, regardless of the thread, IMO, get yourself a properly built, solid rifle and just don’t duck with it, unless you actually know what you’re doing (armorer trainer, and no YouTube doesn’t count).
    Hmmm, maybe I’ll make that my signature, I seem to write something to that effect at least once a week or so it seems.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey guys, check this out. Found it while perusing some designs for folding adapters, oddly enough.

It's a bolt carrier group that doesn't require a buffer tube assembly.

Sacrifices dust cover on closed bolt, looks like you'd get some pretty nasty wear if you release it closed. I think I see 4 rubber pads to prevent contact, and I'm not sure what the two rods are made of so I'm not very confident in the longevity but it's an interesting design.
    Looks interesting. I need more information and a picture of it on an assembled gun. I would want it in 300 blackout.
    1597146920849.png

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thats more than the AR pistol cost to build, lol. It is cool though.
    The object of a pistol is making it portable. While I do not like paying a lot, I will pay to get something that works better giving me a survival advantage after I truly do know that it is better.
    What is your life worth is the question.

Top Bottom