• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You couldn't read it without glasses?
    I must admit I did need a pair of reading glasses, but they where my wife's honestly. Might have had a Republican Leaning before I wiped the fingerprints off the lens.

But once I read that it would take 8 years to enact any legislation, well it became simple Simon!

For the next 8 years the voters in Florida are not allowed to voice thier opinions awaiting review during the Presidential Election, and 8 years after that the Law could be reviewed for another 8 years. So 24 years that I don't have from now my vote probably won't count on this years election. Hell of a thing for a Vet to swallow! JMHO. Have you done the multiplication??? With or without Y'alls rose colored glasses???????

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It is every two years I think for general elections, Below the law

General Elections: A general election shall be held in each county on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November of each even-numbered year to choose a successor to each elective federal, state, county, and district officer whose term will expire before the next general election and, except as provided in the State Constitution, to fill each vacancy in elective office for the unexpired portion of the term.

Ballotpedia https://ballotpedia.org/Florida_Ame...endments_to_be_Passed_Twice_Initiative_(2020)
    Who is behind the campaigns surrounding Amendment 4?

How current is this information?
    See also: Support, Opposition, and Campaign finance
    Keep Our Constitution Clean PC is leading the campaign in support of Amendment 4. The committee raised $9.01 million, all of which was given by the non-profit group Keep Our Constitution Clean, Inc. Jason Zimmerman, a lawyer for Keep Our Constitution Clean PC said, "By doing pass-it-twice, we think we can reduce the amount of ... whimsical constitutional amendments. [In Florida], there have been more than 140 constitutional amendments [since the 1960s]. The United States Constitution, which has been around since the 1700s, has been amended 27 times."[2]

Opponents of Amendment 4 include the ACLU of Florida and the Florida League of Women Voters. The ACLU of Florida said, "[Amendment 4], disingenuously and misleadingly titled 'Voter Approval of Constitutional Amendments,' is a cynical political effort to obstruct voters’ ability to pass future constitutional amendments, even those with support from a supermajority of voters. This ballot initiative disregards the will of the people and renders their voices mute on the very issues they care about most." Ballotpedia did not identify any committees registered to oppose Amendment 4.

What is the current election process for constitutional amendments in Florida?
    See also: State processes for initiated constitutional amendments and Constitutional amendment statistics 2006-2018
    As of 2020, Florida is one of 18 states that require voters to approve a constitutional amendment at a single election. One state—Nevada—requires voter approval of citizen-initiated constitutional amendments at two successive elections. Since the pass-it-twice requirement in Nevada was created in 1962, there have been 14 citizen-initiated constitutional amendments that passed at the first election and appeared on the ballot again at the next election. Of the 14 measures, 12 were passed at their second elections (85.7%) and two failed (14.3%).

Additionally, in every U.S. state except Delaware, constitutional amendments passed by the state's legislature must be referred to and approved by voters to become effective. Unlike the proposed change under Florida Amendment 4, the process in Nevada does not require voter approval of legislative referrals at more than one election.

The current Florida constitution, adopted in 1968, has since been amended 140 times (including amendments via citizen initiative and via the legislature). Before the 60% supermajority vote requirement for constitutional amendments was adopted in 2006, the average number of amendments adopted was between 5 and 6 per election cycle. After 2006, the average was between 4 and 5 per election cycle

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What is the threshold for "pass?" I'm always hesitant on any amendment to the point I start as opposed. Any ammendment should have a high bar for "pass," 70% of the vote; something like that. 51% in favor doesn't work for me.

pcolapaddler

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The threshold for passage - set by constitutional amendment - is 60%.

Info on the initiative/amendment process:
    https://dos.myflorida.com/elections... + 1. Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What is the threshold for "pass?" I'm always hesitant on any amendment to the point I start as opposed. Any ammendment should have a high bar for "pass," 70% of the vote; something like that. 51% in favor doesn't work for me.
    If it were 70% I would vote no, but at 60% I will vote yes to pass requiring two election cycles.

gerald granger

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What did amendment 4 say again?
    It says a lot, but means absolutely nothing. If the politicians want it bad enough, and there’s money to be made by someone, or group, it will happen. Look at the construction site in Avalon Blvd. How many times did we Vote no on that? The final price on this white elephant is going to be staggering, not to speak if the congestion on Avalon.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It says a lot, but means absolutely nothing. If the politicians want it bad enough, and there’s money to be made by someone, or group, it will happen. Look at the construction site in Avalon Blvd. How many times did we Vote no on that? The final price on this white elephant is going to be staggering, not to speak if the congestion on Avalon.
    Well look at the primary in SRC, I think 30% voted for the BOCC elections and we got basically the same that we had. Your vote can count if people have some sense. We have another chance for approved write ins for districts 1 and 3.

Chase Gilbert district 1

Patrick Brown
    District 3

And yes if enough people write them in they win.
    I bet you did not write in the above for current election. I did, but they will not likely be enough that do. I also voted no on the sales tax until the BOCC gets adequate impact fees in place.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom