• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    This is a pic of several families snowmobileing in Maine. Specifically,East Kennebago Mountain.
    This is in northwestern Maine,about 15 miles from Canada and New Hampshire.
    From the main trail to the top (dead end) where we are standing,you gain about 2000ft in less than 2 miles.
    There is plenty room for two snowmobiles to pass each other but if you meet the groomer you have to go back down or up until he finishes the trail.
    This place gets snow in September and you can still ride in April.
    My Polaris 800RMK is in the background. Highly modified,it put out 171hp and would out accelerate(on well packed snow)any highway vech.
    Some good times back then. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• 774.jpeg
      774.jpeg
      232.2 KB · Views: 226

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Ahh the snowmobile ,I have not rode one since 1978 ish and they were getting pretty fast then. I can't imagine what they would do in 2003. They were what kept you smiling during the winter months,(well them, beer, and girlfriends) They didn't have groomed trails yet either, Now you can travel the entire state. That must be a whole new level of fun. I wonder if they have speed limits?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Some sections of trails have speed limits that are enforced with wardens using radar guns. These trails are usually extremely winding with sharp curves or side hill with large/deep drop offs.
    The controlled trails are marked "FAMILY TRAIL".
    Snomobileing is a true family sport in Maine. Out of every 10 machines that are coming at you,at least 3 have small children on the seat behind their mom and/or dad. There were some terrible accidents before the state got "serious" about the speed thing.
    Maine also has DUI checks on the main trail systems also. The wardens are super serious about this. They WILL confiscate your machine and take you to jail. ---- SAWMAN

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Just watch North Woods Law if you want to see them shooting radar down the trails and yes they do have speed limits on a lot of the trails now. Saw one show where they ticketed a kid doing 65 in a 45!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Just wanted to add . . . there are plenty of trails that you can go as fast as you want.
    A lot of trails use summer logging roads or power line ROW's. In my area you could ride for miles at 65+ mph. Also straight enough and wide enough to go 100+. But the mechanics of the drive system will not allow most machines to exceed about 75mph although they can still accelerate pretty fast.
    My machine had 144 inches of track with 1.5" paddles that were carbide studded. The bottom of the ski's were also carbide for performance on frozen lakes. --- SAWMAN

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I would like to take a nice trip on the trails, It is some of the most fun you can have in the winter,

Last edited:

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My first sled was a 1978 Artic Cat El Tigre 6000. That thing would foul plugs like nobody's business but ran like a raped ape when it wanted to. Had some great times riding with my buddies

Latest posts

Top Bottom