Target Sports

Where Do Stolen Catalytic Converters Go?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ins and outs of catalytic converter theft.
    After the catalytic converter was stolen from my 2005 Honda Element, I decided to so some research on where these stolen catalytic converters end up. I learned some interesting things. In addition to discussing where catalytic converters go after they are stolen, I also talk about why catalytic converters are being stolen in the first place. You might be surprised about how much they’re really worth.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Some are junk and some have very precious metals in them. Year make and model are all different. Some have platinum and gold hidden inside

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Some are junk and some have very precious metals in them. Year make and model are all different. Some have platinum and gold hidden inside
    No sure about gold.
    They are known to have rhodium, palladium and platinum,

Southalabama

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good video.

The other item that irks me is cemetery bronze urn theft. How many scrap yards can process them? Occasionally a meth head gets busted. I’d like to see a foundry owner arrested.

As long as there is stupid “easy” money someone is willing to take the gamble.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good video.

The other item that irks me is cemetery bronze urn theft. How many scrap yards can process them? Occasionally a meth head gets busted. I’d like to see a foundry owner arrested.

As long as there is stupid “easy” money someone is willing to take the gamble.
    Is not that grave robbing and desecration of the of the dead. In any case that is very crummy.

Southalabama

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We gave up after replacing my grandparents urn a couple times. Several hundred urns from the cemetery in Bay Minette disappeared without a trace. Would have taken a dump truck to have hauled them.

flow

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would assume they smelt the bronze down? Kind of suspect to show up at a scrap yard with hundreds of urns. Alabama has less strict policies than around here for scrapping. I've been turned down in Pensacola for legally owned copper wire my boss gave me. I took it to Alabama and no questions asked. I don't think I even showed an ID...wouldn't fly anywhere in town but thats the loophole and folks know about it. I asked some guys on the jobsite how they sell their scrap and was told "Alabama"

Just saw your in Alabama...sorry didn't see. I bet that's a huge problem around there

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Had a lemon 98 Chevy S10 as my first truck that I actually bought. I got the cat replaced 3 times inside of only 100,000(+-) miles. A known bad design on the flex pipe ruined everything from the exhaust manifold down 3 times. In the end, it was bad fuel injection (probably caused by the constantly fouled O2 censors) that killed it, with only $1k left to pay on the truck note. Traded it in at zero value. Swore off all Chevy's with O2 censors for life. It's all a NWO tree hugging scam. As much as America is in love with internal combustion engines, there are better designs out there, if it truly was about saving the earth. I saw a car on a documentary that was getting over 100 mpg, using gas to run an air compressor intermittently and then the compressed air to push the car engine pistons. Do you think there's a $1,000 rare metal cat converter on that air compressor? Nope, of course not. Nevermind the fact that the new 700cc Honda engines are getting over 60mpg and could easily be put in an all aluminum car, similar maybe to the existing three wheeler Spiders that look like batmobiles.

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    left hand or right? Not all is bad with Islam ie. Like the OldTestament and a ROPE around the neck of pedophiles tied to a large stone... Good Stuff is where you find it.
    Do it like the Bedouin and Afghans use the sawzall on their neck instead of a knife.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Had a lemon 98 Chevy S10 as my first truck that I actually bought. I got the cat replaced 3 times inside of only 100,000(+-) miles. A known bad design on the flex pipe ruined everything from the exhaust manifold down 3 times. In the end, it was bad fuel injection (probably caused by the constantly fouled O2 censors) that killed it, with only $1k left to pay on the truck note. Traded it in at zero value. Swore off all Chevy's with O2 censors for life. It's all a NWO tree hugging scam. As much as America is in love with internal combustion engines, there are better designs out there, if it truly was about saving the earth. I saw a car on a documentary that was getting over 100 mpg, using gas to run an air compressor intermittently and then the compressed air to push the car engine pistons. Do you think there's a $1,000 rare metal cat converter on that air compressor? Nope, of course not. Nevermind the fact that the new 700cc Honda engines are getting over 60mpg and could easily be put in an all aluminum car, similar maybe to the existing three wheeler Spiders that look like batmobiles.
    Swore off chevy for cat/02 issues? That's with every manufacturer. Don't ever buy a diesel with a DPF or a DEF System. They will make your cat experience seem like a happy meal.
    I'm not up on the air compressor powered idea. While it may be good for the environment, there is a lot of technology in quality air compressors. Could be the latest, greatest thing for a thief to steal if compressed engines go widespread like fossil fuels.
    What happened to electric? Those are safe for the environment............

Attachments

• lithium_tar_sands_meme.jpg
      lithium_tar_sands_meme.jpg
      71.4 KB · Views: 68
    Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Swore off chevy for cat/02 issues? That's with every manufacturer. Don't ever buy a diesel with a DPF or a DEF System. They will make your cat experience seem like a happy meal.
    I'm not up on the air compressor powered idea. While it may be good for the environment, there is a lot of technology in quality air compressors. Could be the latest, greatest thing for a thief to steal if compressed engines go widespread like fossil fuels.
    What happened to electric? Those are safe for the environment............
    Mr. Chevy Man, I respectfully disagree :) I've had a dozen Fords, old and new, and not one problem with any of their O2 censors or catalytic converters. However, I will admit, I very briefly owned a beat up blue 1990's Suburban that, soon after buying it and putting new coil over shocks and new offroad tires and a new windshield on it, saved me and my whole family's lives two weeks later when we got T-boned at high speed on Hwy 90. The wedge shaped full size sedan got under our Suburban, lifted us up and set us down in the next lane over, and there wasn't a scratch on any of us. Had we been in anything smaller and without coils and good tires, the offending vehicle would have plowed thru our passenger compartment and barrel rolled us across the intersection into head-on traffic. The Lord works in mysterious ways. That truck was fresh from Mexico, owned by a missionary family living there who came home and then went back, and it looked like it! I dont think it had a single good window or body panel left on it, and it still had seat back pockets full of Bible tracts. And God brought it all the way back here from Mexico to save our lives.

Top Bottom