• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boogan1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    So here is something that I was thinking about the other day and thought it would make for good discussion. I sometimes shoot at a public range that is pretty remote. There is absolutely no cell phone signal there at all, can't even send a text. People show up there all hours to shoot, never know when someone is going to drive in. So here is the scenario...You are at the range shooting several guns. A car pulls in and parks a couple of spaces down from you. Two guys are just sitting in the car. You take notice of them then go back to shooting. You see them get out of the car and open the trunk. You observe they are not your typical gun range regulars, appear to be more the "thug" type. They are both doing something back there, you assume getting their guns and gear. You fire your gun empty and lay it down. At that point they run from behind the car holding guns, pointed at you, and shouting for you to get on the ground. You grab your gun, slam a fresh mag in and dive for cover. When they see you grab your gun they start shooting. You return fire and hit both bad guys. You are hit yourself, not fatally. One guy is dead, the other on the ground bleeding out. You approach, kick his gun away and start administering first aid but after about a minute you can't stop the bleeding and he is gone. Now what do you do? If you leave the scene to go get help or to get to somewhere you have cell signal to call for help what happens if someone else comes driving into the range and comes across the scene? Do you stay there hoping some random person will come driving in and you can send them for help?
    Another thing that I do, don't know if you do or not, I never have an empty gun at the range. I either have my ccw on me or I have a loaded gun laying on the shooting table where I can get a hand on it quickly.

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Wow, sounds like a scene from a movie. Although I could visualize something like that happening. After the shooting is over, I would not be administering any first aid to the bad guys, he could lay there in agony for all I care. If no cell service your only option is to leave until you get to where you can call 911.

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I think a more likely scenario and one I think about most is a medical emergency. Such as heart attack, ect. Especially when I take my father shooting. Our range has little to no reception and is located a mile or so past a locked gate. After working alongside local ems crews. I have no faith that they would ram the gate to get to us. Even if I said its ok. And there is no way they will walk that far.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    too moviesque for me, sorry no real world thoughts. Whatever you come up with think Chris Kyle

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Somewhat plausible or could be read as something out of a Micheal Bay film. Either way, to answer your scenario...a public range where I am alone and/or with minimal that I don't know who most certainly have Firearms, absolutely carrying a spare mag and keeping my ccw close by, if not on me. I wouldn't worry about leaving the scene to "call for help". Whether that's 911 and the authorities or my buddy and his backhoe as there are no witnesses and he has access to swampland. YMMV

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I would appreciate your movie scenario more if you administered first aid with direct pressure on the remaining thug's wounds while asking him if he has any family he'd like you to call for him, and then eventually telling him he's going to die in the dirt as a failure and go straight to hell, and you'll look up his family for him and send as many of them to meet him as soon as he's dead.

By direct pressure on the wound, I mean PAINful pressure that may or may not exacerbate the situation.

I think that kind of movie would be much more satisfying to watch.

As for what would "I" do personally? Disarm the remaining criminal, ensure I have a loaded weapon, and then attend to my own wounds. Then, once my wounds were stabilized, double-check that the still living thug is still no longer a threat, and proceed to take some pictures of the scene, their car, their faces, etc. Then secure ALL of the weapons in my vehicle. Theirs, too.

If at any point the thug becomes a threat again, deal with him as such. Otherwise, before I leave, take car keys, wallets, vehicle registration, and go get help.

That all assumes my health is fine. If questionable wounds, go get first aid and worry about them being caught later.

Sgump

Broke gun enthusiasts
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    If I was at a remote gun range and someone pulled up with no one else there first thing is to engage the people to let them know your there if something doesn't fill right i would leave your gut will always be right. Like no range bag,gun case ear pro est

poppop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    me, i would finish shooting, then go get some BBQ on the way to the hospital. oh along with a DR Pepper. but thats just me. lol

Sgump

Broke gun enthusiasts
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    me, i would finish shooting, then go get some BBQ on the way to the hospital. oh along with a DR Pepper. but thats just me. lol
    Go to the hospital first one of us will bring you the BBQ and a larger Dr pepper

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Ha!

My "remote range buddy" on over watch would have ended that scenario quickly. We also drop spike strips at several locations culminating in claymores along the ingress route to help keep the unwanted from sharing our range time. We're in constant satellite comms with "mother" and have access to our armed UAS should the unwanted show up in larger numbers. If things go pear shaped, hot extraction via helicopter is available with a "nuke from orbit" option to sanitize the scene. No muss, no fuss.

But I don't have time to get to the range much right now.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    My club members lock the gate when going in or out.
    BUT - -> I wear my Glock 32 while at the club. I also carry a Glock 31 mag as a reload. So I always have plenty of firepower.
    If I were at the bench shooting a long gun and witnessed someone drive up that seemed out of place,I would immediately stop fireing and turn all my attention to them. I would make damn sure that they saw me observing them. I would move in behind a shooting bench or other hard cover.
    If they moved to open their trunk I would unholster,not expose my weapon,look to see the whereabouts of other club members,and try to move to even better cover.
    If they came out from behind the vech with weapons,and in a menacing way I would move into position to shoot,with my weapon at the ready,and depending on their behavior,might even target the "leader" if noticeable.
    At this point I would not worry about medical because it would not be me that needed it in the future.
    If I were shooting my XM177E2 I have a feeling that the BG's would be under guned. I always have 5+ loaded mags on the bench with me. --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I used one two hundred yard range in Maryland years ago and we were advised to carry our rifle down range with us to prevent it being stolen. The benches were near a highway. I always had a loaded mag in my pocket when doing that. Most ranges frown upon carrying a loaded rifle down range.
    I used to shoot at a range in Saint Bernard Parish and someone while down range had an M1 carbine stolen.
    The two criminals that killed the three FBI agents in south florida were said to have killed people that were shooting on the Tamiami Trail. For clubs with a locked gate, during public shooting events gates are often left opened.

One should take care of course no matter the location.

For first aide. Tourniquet and compression bandages and other means of stopping blood loss are appropriate measures. I am not sure how beneficial CPR is like what you see in the movies will be. I need to be carrying a trauma kit or at least a tourniquet that I am not doing. It can even be attached your rifle

Below offer for sale: https://www.russiansurplus.net/product_p/tourniquete-bandage-izolenta.htm

clear1x1.gif
    This combo consists of an original Russian medical tourniquet used by medical professionals, bandage wrapped in a protective cover and a roll of "izolenta" blue electrical tape. The color, type, size, etc. of the items can vary from the ones pictured.

1613926255422.png

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Half of what you are talking about happen at a public range just south of Tallahassee a few years back he just didn't get to defend him self , he didn't get a chance , he just let them have they stuff and lived to be a good witness. I don't go by my self and keep my ccw on me so watch your 6. just my 5 cents jj

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Half of what you are talking about happen at a public range just south of Tallahassee a few years back he just didn't get to defend him self , he didn't get a chance , he just let them have they stuff and lived to be a good witness. I don't go by my self and keep my ccw on me so watch your 6. just my 5 cents jj

https://www.local10.com/florida-fil...ril-11-1986-the-bloodiest-day-in-fbi-history/
    This is what I was speaking about:
    The two bank robbers that killed two FBI agents in 1986:
    William Russell Matix and Michael Lee Platt are, without a doubt, cold-blooded killers. The bank robbers have no mercy. They don't just steal money. Even after getting bags of cash, they shoot -- and shoot to kill. They sometime dress in military gear, wear fatigues and war paint.

They werekilling lone target shooters

The shootout here (is) linked to a story we told you about two weeks ago tonight … we reported on two men who would shoot target hunters out practicing alone in the Everglades, steal their cars and then rob mostly armored truck guards at banks, restaurants, even a grocery store," Connie Hicks, reporting for Local 10 News at the time, tells viewers. "Last month, police got a composite of the two. A victim pumped full of bullets and left for dead survived and gave their descriptions. He said they were good-old boy types who weren't good."

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    On the topic of range incidents, I read on another forum where a guy was shooting at a rifle range alone then some strangers arrived. They were friendly but when the guy went downrange to change targets they shot his tires out and stole his weapons/range bag which happened to also contain his cell phone. Glad I shoot on family land

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There have been murders at remote but well known improvised ranges when I was Stationed in Ca. Bodies and vehicles picked clean including keys. That's when I quit doing that solo. At well known shooting spots you loose a bit of your proprietary control when others show up. When your shooting in "your" spot, everybody else better steer clear or be challenged. In Idaho I'd wave them off, twice they didn't go away and it was the same Game Warden each time.

BG's can look like anybody, profile good or bad at your own risk. A friendly stranger could set up next to you and pop you too. I CC while at the public Range, you never know when SHTF. Situational awareness shouldn't be ignored just because your shooting. Scan 360° not just L/R.

Per the OP: I'd leave them lay and bleed, move any firearm from their proximity, grab my guns, leave the rest (including my other gear) and drive towards medical and make "the Call" on the way. Follow Dispatch instructions.

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    That's why I ALWAYS carry an aid bag. I would eleviate the threat, treat myself and then go where I have a signal to call 911. I would stay where I have cell signal till police arrive.

Doc

Top Bottom