DK Firearms

What will the 30-30 Lever Action do that a Mini-30 7.62 x 39 mm can't?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So since all the Game left in Florida can be harvested with a 30-30 Lever Action inside of 150 yards, just what makes it different than the Fudd Gun Mini-30?
    Exactly what can a 30-30 Lever Action do that the Mini-30 7.62 x 39 mm can't?

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    So since all the Game left in Florida can be harvested with a 30-30 Lever Action inside of 150 yards, just what makes it different than the Fudd Gun Mini-30?
    Exactly what can a 30-30 Lever Action do that the Mini-30 7.62 x 39 mm can't?
    Pass the Democraps Rainbows and Unicorns and the "I'd like to buy the world a Coke" test.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Does a lever action sporting glass actually look better than a Mini-30 Day Scope Equipped?

Attachments

• IMG_20190730_185726.jpg
      IMG_20190730_185726.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 136

FowlHunter13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I love both rounds and they are very similar balistically as already stated. I have gone a different route with both of those rounds than the normal joe and have not looked back. I have a 23” 30/30 barrel for my T/C Contender that is an absolute tack driver with the Hornady LeverEvolution 160gr factory rounds and I have a Ruger American Ranch in 7.62X39 that is super light weight and maneuverable due to its size. It drives tacks at 100 yards with the Hornady Black 123gr factory rounds as well. Both have served me well on deer and pigs. All but one was a DRT(dead right there) kill. The only one that ran was a 220 pound sow and she only went 15 yards before pilling up with the 7.62X39. I say use what fits you best and what you can be most proficient with and make the most and fastest humane kill.

Last edited:

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Sage advise from FowlHunter13 above. I believe the 30/30 smacks game harder due to the 150 or 170 grain bullet weight and the 2 to 4 inches of additional barrel length. I haven't seen factory 7.62X39R heavier than 154 grain soft point. It is hard to find in that weight. The more common weight is 124 fmj. Velocity and bullet weight not withstanding the 30/30 looks better doing the job. IMO Both claim velocities of around 2200 fps. At that velocity the 25 more grains of bullet weight put the 30/30 at an advantage.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sage advise from FowlHunter13 above. I believe the 30/30 smacks game harder due to the 150 or 170 grain bullet weight and the 2 to 4 inches of additional barrel length. I haven't seen factory 7.62X39R heavier than 154 grain soft point. It is hard to find in that weight. The more common weight is 124 fmj. Velocity and bullet weight not withstanding the 30/30 looks better doing the job. IMO Both claim velocities of around 2200 fps. At that velocity the 25 more grains of bullet weight put the 30/30 at an advantage.
    I have used the Mini-30 (16 inch barrel) with 154 grain HP Silver Bear loads to take Black bear, deer, and hogs. A Woodland task formerly accomplished by the 18 inch Lever Action Marlin. (back when these Old Eyes could be trusted with irons) I didn't notice any performance difference between the 150/30-30 & 154/7.62 x 39.

While the 170 grain 30-30 probably has a decided advantage on +500 lb Game Animals vice the 150 grain 30-30 & 154 grain 7.62 x 39, it's just that + 500 lb critters are rather rare in NE Florida. Now in the north (ie Maine) when hunting Moose the 170 grain 30-30 has proven effective out to 100 yards. So I agree that the 170 grain 30-30 would have an advantage on either the 150/30-30 or 154/7.62 x 39 on + 500 lb critters.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This discussion is much like discussing how many angels can stand the head of a pin. These close range cartridges for hunting purposes re good at 100 yards, but can reach to 200 yards. Use flexitip with 150 grain bullets in the 30-30 maybe if you have an accurate rifle you might get might few more yards at 200 yard over the mini-30. This is attempt to make some drama that I guess is fun for some.

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This discussion is much like discussing how many angels can stand the head of a pin. These close range cartridges for hunting purposes re good at 100 yards, but can reach to 200 yards. Use flexitip with 150 grain bullets in the 30-30 maybe if you have an accurate rifle you might get might few more yards at 200 yard over the mini-30. This is attempt to make some drama that I guess is fun for some.

Make some Drama?

Perhaps we should begin with the purpose of a Short Range Carbine? (Lever Action or Semi-Auto)

Lightweight for carrying, fast handling from the shoulder, low recoiling, and able to create a one shot stop with proper placement. (sound about right?)

Shoulder fired (standing unsupported for Mil/Competitive Shooters) accuracy requirements (dependent on game, I'll use 8 inches of deer vitals) are single shot within minute of game animal to be harvested. With the added bonus of placing all 5 rounds within the desired parameters in the advent of the unexpected during round 1.

Now many shooters can strike a stationary 8 inch target first time 1 time at 100 yards while shooting from the shoulder with iron sights. Those with a bit more skill can even strike a stationary 8 inch target with all 5 rounds shooting from the shoulder with iron sights. Now things get a bit trickier when you move that stationary target to the 200 yard line.

Here is the Game vs Paper Target footnote:)

I have a self imposed max range of 150 yards for either 30-30 & 7.62 x 39 on Game. Paper Targets are stationary and need not be tracked in case of a less than X-Ring Strike.

So back to the 8 inch stationary target at 200 yards with the iron sights, first time 1 time, every time like a Timex?

See Attachment.

5 times out of 5 times from the shoulder?
    Or since Old Age & AO related Diabetic Retinopathy have struck, perhaps the glass is required to continue to perform the tasks regularly performed at 200 yards while sporting iron sights from the shoulder?

So let's say that the eyes have gone and glass is required to keep 5 rounds on an 8 inch paper target at 200 yards while shooting from the shoulder. The Bore Line on that Mini-30 is allot more in line with it's position to the eye while on the shoulder than most Lever Actions. So while it's not an abortion to glass a Ruger Mini or M14, Just how ugly is a Classic Lever Action Disfigured with Glass. Not to mention how much disfigurement it takes to gain a solid repeatable cheek weld on a classic lever actions stock?

So to those folks that can still shoulder a lever action equipped with a peep or tang, and also those Semi-auto-Mini iron sight equipped, and strike a 8 inch paper target at 200 yards 5 out of 5 times while shooting from the shoulder, I applaud Y'all. To those folks still able to perform such feats, that wish or will attempt them on live game, I implore you set a hard ceiling of 150 yards on cartridges of this ability. Shoot Paper all day at extreme for caliber/cartridge range to practice your marksmanship, but it's a failure to need a second round to accomplish what the first round was supposed to do when harvesting a game animal. JMHO.

Attachments

• mini 30 cold bore.jpg
      mini 30 cold bore.jpg
      45.3 KB · Views: 102
    Last edited:

Leebo180

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    the reputation of the 30-30 as a shortrange{80 yard} cartridge is unearned... 150 to 200 yards, it is still accurate and toting some power.

kills more deer in the usa than any other caliber...

and like the man said, looks better doing it..

... that Caliber kills more living creatures on planet earth than any other, and brings down planes, us won 2 world wars with it, and held a bay in jungle by it, its and still responsible for most of the body bags coming home, at the same time providing for families the same way it did 115 years ago.

God made man, Samuel Colt and the .45 made them all equal, and a couple Norwegians named Johannes and Erik changed the world bringing the greatest caliber on earth.. to

End of the day the both bring the pain with the same caliber.. as for the cartridge.... they will both do the same damn thing inside of 200, to it’s moot** most of the entire planet chooses to shoot one of them as their “life ender”of choice for a reason... and it ain’t
    To look good. ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    So I could stand a year ago I think not such, and hit those 8-10 in plates, now a year later I think not such, shoulder hurts;; knee hurts; eyes can't see as good, and that 30-30 hurts like hell, can't stand long . can't see as far, can't walk as long, so I use a 243 or a 6.5 cr with a bipod, and a 25 power scope. so I don't have to hold it up and can see as far. And can hit with it. so the 30-30 is in the back corner of my safe, with the sks and ak and the Min. . Just my 10 cents jj the dollar is worth less

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ... that Caliber kills more living creatures on planet earth than any other, and brings down planes, us won 2 world wars with it, and held a bay in jungle by it, its and still responsible for most of the body bags coming home, at the same time providing for families the same way it did 115 years ago.

God made man, Samuel Colt and the .45 made them all equal, and a couple Norwegians named Johannes and Erik changed the world bringing the greatest caliber on earth.. to

End of the day the both bring the pain with the same caliber.. as for the cartridge.... they will both do the same damn thing inside of 200, to it’s moot** most of the entire planet chooses to shoot one of them as their “life ender”of choice for a reason... and it ain’t
    To look good. ...

Two other contenders world wide, .22 rimfire and single barrel shotgun in 12 or 16 ga world wide. People use what they have. The 303 killed a lot because a lot of people had one.

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    X39 - 5-30rd mag, pointy bullets, ammo availability / $$, 196gr subsonic, less recoil. Easy barrel changes (on AR). Ease of suppressor use. Sbr with permit/$$ or brace. Side charging or zip stick or even pump. Buffer can be tuned or replaced with hydro. Trigger up grade drop in.. Pretty simple decision ....

Leebo180

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Two other contenders world wide, .22 rimfire and single barrel shotgun in 12 or 16 ga world wide. People use they have. The 303 killed a lot because a lot of people had one.

303 is a 30 caliber, I was alluding to the fact that caliber is not a factor other than if it will or won’t come out of a barrel..there are more variants of the 30 caliber throughout the world today as well as then. It’s a moot point to argue that nearly identical projectiles with soft points, inside of 200 yrds are going to do the same damage to soft tissue or it would be used.. 30-30, 308, 303, 300 wsm, 7.62, all gonna leave the same hole that close. I 30 cal
    8c6fcc9ba5a60ff99e6f955d4d1db36a.jpg

Love me a good enfield

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My CZ 527 carbine in 7.62x39 is easy to tote, has very light recoil and is pleasing to the eyes.

With 123 grain Hornady SST, the little 7.62x39 is a dandy deer cartridge.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Well we have heard from folks that there are many other .30 caliber cartridges better suited to 200 yards and more, and Rebel Rider1969 has explained the cost savings of the 7.62 x 39, but yet the 30-30 seems to be the most popular of woodlands choice. So perhaps that "people use what they have" statement carries a bit of weight?

But if 200-300 yard shots are required the Ancient 30-06 still functions!

Attachments

• Guide Gun.jpg
      Guide Gun.jpg
      558 KB · Views: 105

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    But if 200-300 yard shots are required the Ancient 30-06 still functions!
    The 30-30 I thingk is from 1995 and the 30-06 is from 1906. So only about a 11 years separates the two. The '06' is ancient indeed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom