• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Would swamp gas (marsh gas) cause a boom if ignited? Isn't swamp gas methane?

McMillan

USMC
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    @McMillan that was current news as of what time yesterday?
    This was out about 1600cst .. to add to some of the suggestions there was a controlled burn happening in Jones’ Swamp causing smoke in the area..

We have received several calls and messages about the ground shaking at several spots along our Gulf Coast area. We are working to confirm what happened. Stick with us for those details once we get confirmation -- weartv.com.

Additionally, a prescribed burn is taking place at the Jones Swamp Wetland Preserve south of Highway 98. This is causing smoke in the area.

McMillan

USMC
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    The county was pre notified of an aircraft testing at NAS, leaving that the most likely reason.. this was felt across multiple counties. Out in Pace a colleague felt their walls shake and in Molino near the Fire Watch station.. no way a simple explosion caused that area of impact

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Here in Cantonment the house shook, as did the windows. Wasn't bad, but it definitely wasn't the usual suspects (train, etc). Lasted about 7-10 seconds.

Aircraft sonic boom or activity seems the most likely suspect, or I guess some sort of small / unseen meteor disintegrating in the atmosphere.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Here in Cantonment the house shook, as did the windows. Wasn't bad, but it definitely wasn't the usual suspects (train, etc). Lasted about 7-10 seconds.

Aircraft sonic boom or activity seems the most likely suspect, or I guess some sort of small / unseen meteor disintegrating in the atmosphere.
    My thoughts, air national guard playing.

Tige

Who/where (born visible, identify as Trans-parent)
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sasquatch is pissed and screaming!!!

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I seemed to be very close to the epicenter. It wasn't just a single boom. It was 3-4 huge waves with a low roaring rumble in between. To me it felt like it came east to west from the mobile bay area/Fairhope side of me.
    I went to Google last night before bed to see if any reports was made about it. The first page that popped up was volcanodiscovery.com
    They had a good list already there of all the reports people made already. Judging by those I in fact do seem to be very close to where it came from. All accounts closest to foley seemed to be worse details. Seems like the mutilate waves kinda turned into either one big wave or one smaller wave by the time it reached others further away
    I even had a rifle I had propped up on the wall earlier fall down about 2-3 mins just prior to it all. When I heard that it sounded like someone was pulling on my door trying to break in. Could have been total coincidence tho. After walking around to see who it was I came back inside.l, sat for a few mins then yeah all that happened.
    It happened at about exactly 11:02 my time. Soon as it happened I texted my folks in Lillian to see if they would feel it soon is how I know, that shows as 11:04 on my texts. So it ended around 11:03ish.

Last edited:

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I've felt many sonic booms before. I've even felt the blast from the MOAB they tested once from Eglin ages ago. I don't think this was any sort of boom or blast. Your could genuinely feel the earth's plates heaving and sagging during this one with a little horizontal side to side motion. Several large spikes and yeah a rumble between

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    I have seen posts of windows busted out in orange beach and one person posted she is still leaving on concrete and her slab cracked across the entire house. I'm near the front gate of the base and I felt the rumble and 3 deep sounds. Not like booms I've heard before. I won't call it a boom.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Yeah. Most folks don't know but I think it's the Appalachian mountains that actually end out in the gulf somewhere. I guess they're here also but just covered up with dirt. Mountains are formed by plates shifting and being pushed upwards. So with all that said I guess where on a plate divide and its just not a very active one. In theory I suppose we could have a big earthquake someday.
    About 20 years+ ago I used to rappel for a living on the high rise condos on the beach. That day I had a job needing done down at the end of fort Morgan on a high rise there that was either being built or major overhaul after Ivan. I can't remember tbh. Anyways it was a Yates contractor job if I recall correctly and there was so much going on there that they had a temporary Mobile home out near the highway where thier management was operating out of for the duration of the job. There was a small temporary gravel parking lot in front of it and people parked directly in front of it with thier front end facing the trailer, with maybe some small cross-ties of some sort as bumpers so ya don't hit the trailer. I parked and went inside to get the roof key to get set up. As me and the secretary girl was talking all the sudden a huge boom went off that was so hard I and everyone inside immediately thought someone had accidentally ran into the dang building lol. It was a huge single boom and shook the whole place. Deffo not a sonic boom and there was no blue angels or nothing around that day. No jets or planes whatsoever. All who experienced it expected to see a reason later on the news. I think maybe one channel mentioned it as a mystery boom and suggested it was jets. But they never did say anything about it since. Then every now I then I hear reports of similar single events down there. Never any good answers or anything. It seems like pretty isolated events too since you don't hear about folks in mobile, or gulf shores reporting hearing or feeling them. News wasn't like what it is now either tho. Nowdays ya can fart and the news will be alerted by people with internet access and phones on them fulltime.
    I'd say both events was about roughly the same in the amount of how badly things was heaved or shaken. That one long ago was alot faster and more violent tho if that makes sense
    I'm glad I don't live in a area where they happen alot, plus tsunamis.
    Now I mention it, I wonder if the buoyies picked up any weird motions?

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    the appalachians DO end here...specifically in the crestview area. that is what those hills are all about. the highest point in florida is in someones yard north of crestview, as i recall. additionally, the white beaches are from the sediment of the appalachians coming down into the gulf from the rivers. that mountain range is also what protects us from natural sinkholes. they end somewhere around defuniak. nothing west of there cause the plates or mountain beds or whatever stops them. different type of rock going west i guess.

seandizzie

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sonic boom is a distinct double boom.

My back yard is up against the eglin reservation. I get house shakers from explosions regularly.

That being said it was likely an alien space gun.

McMillan

USMC
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Yeah. Most folks don't know but I think it's the Appalachian mountains that actually end out in the gulf somewhere. I guess they're here also but just covered up with dirt. Mountains are formed by plates shifting and being pushed upwards. So with all that said I guess where on a plate divide and its just not a very active one. In theory I suppose we could have a big earthquake someday.
    About 20 years+ ago I used to rappel for a living on the high rise condos on the beach. That day I had a job needing done down at the end of fort Morgan on a high rise there that was either being built or major overhaul after Ivan. I can't remember tbh. Anyways it was a Yates contractor job if I recall correctly and there was so much going on there that they had a temporary Mobile home out near the highway where thier management was operating out of for the duration of the job. There was a small temporary gravel parking lot in front of it and people parked directly in front of it with thier front end facing the trailer, with maybe some small cross-ties of some sort as bumpers so ya don't hit the trailer. I parked and went inside to get the roof key to get set up. As me and the secretary girl was talking all the sudden a huge boom went off that was so hard I and everyone inside immediately thought someone had accidentally ran into the dang building lol. It was a huge single boom and shook the whole place. Deffo not a sonic boom and there was no blue angels or nothing around that day. No jets or planes whatsoever. All who experienced it expected to see a reason later on the news. I think maybe one channel mentioned it as a mystery boom and suggested it was jets. But they never did say anything about it since. Then every now I then I hear reports of similar single events down there. Never any good answers or anything. It seems like pretty isolated events too since you don't hear about folks in mobile, or gulf shores reporting hearing or feeling them. News wasn't like what it is now either tho. Nowdays ya can fart and the news will be alerted by people with internet access and phones on them fulltime.
    I'd say both events was about roughly the same in the amount of how badly things was heaved or shaken. That one long ago was alot faster and more violent tho if that makes sense
    I'm glad I don't live in a area where they happen alot, plus tsunamis.
    Now I mention it, I wonder if the buoyies picked up any weird motions?
    This is exactly why we have some of the whitest sanded beaches in the world. The appalachian mountains are quartz, the runoff from the Appalachian Mountains comes down here to the gulf. What we have a sand is just fine particles of quartz crystals.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Hmmmm. It's very interesting how they said they felt it like a whole 5 mins later after I felt it. I can prove it was almost exactly at 11:03. As I said I texted my parents asap in Lillian to see how long it took for them to feel it too, and or if they perhaps felt it first. It's 11:04 by the time I typed the text etc. 11:09 is much later

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230128_154056_Messages.jpg
      Screenshot_20230128_154056_Messages.jpg
      100.8 KB · Views: 29
    Top Bottom