DK Firearms

What to do strategy wise if the SHTF in November?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frankie251

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ve been vacillating between thinking about how I will protect my home, if or when the zombies attack in November, and thinking I’m crazy for thinking about it. I live in a relatively quiet neighborhood in the city limits of Pcola. I’ve been here for 30 years, and we don’t see much in the way of crime, and we know and keep in communication with all our directly adjacent neighbors, but not so much for those a few houses down. I’m pretty sure my neighbors are not well armed, and some are definitely liberal but one is conservative but elderly. Between them all, they may have a shotgun or two. I doubt anyone besides me has an AR or a high capacity, semi-auto handgun, or pump shotgun. I have all of the above and plenty of ammo that I stocked up on when it was cheaper and at least twelve 30 round mags for the AR.

I expect I’ll have them all loaded up before the election and be outside and concealed, but what I’m worried about is over-penetration with the AR. There’s almost no way to shoot from my yard and not hit a house across the street, and my neighbors are going to come look out the windows if there’s a commotion. I’ve thought about just loading up the shotgun with something like steel waterfowl loads which I have plenty of, or buckshot, but the capacity (6+1) worries me. I’d rather have 30 +1 in the AR.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone is having similar thoughts, and what you’ve decided. Hopefully I’m crazy and this never materializes — at least here, but I’d rather be ready and it not materialize than the other way around.

poppop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    take care of your neighbors except the liberal one. load and position your ARs inside your house. keep the shotgun close to hand. if you have to shoot try to keep the target between you and the liberal house so you dont have to worry about over penetration.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    In my opinion,at neighborhood distances the shotgun is king. Skip the 3" in favor of the 2.75" if it will allow one more in the mag tube.
    Choose something other than large buckshot. #4 buck would be ok but I prefer #2 or "BB". Lead shot of equivalent size will out penetrate steel.
    Never empty the mag. If possible,as you shoot a few,load a couple. Do not "spray and pray". Aim that gun if only using the single bead. A "ghost ring" is best. Don't linger on lineing up the front. Put 'em in the ghost ring and shoot if they are 30yds+.
    Don't worry about killing anybody. A person with 20-50+ larger pellets in him will not be willing to fight anymore and will ponder why he was there in the first place. They have no drive,not commitment, no passion for what they are doing. They are just there because they have been told that there is easy pickins. FREE STUFF !!
    NO . . . Then time to go home or get shot.
    SHOTGUN - - -> YOU COULD GET DOUBLES OR EVEN TRIPLES !! --- SAWMAN

Frankie251

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In my opinion,at neighborhood distances the shotgun is king. Skip the 3" in favor of the 2.75" if it will allow one more in the mag tube.
    Choose something other than large buckshot. #4 buck would be ok but I prefer #2 or "BB". Lead shot of equivalent size will out penetrate steel.
    Never empty the mag. If possible,as you shoot a few,load a couple. Do not "spray and pray". Aim that gun if only using the single bead. A "ghost ring" is best. Don't linger on lineing up the front. Put 'em in the ghost ring and shoot if they are 30yds+.
    Don't worry about killing anybody. A person with 20-50+ larger pellets in him will not be willing to fight anymore and will ponder why he was there in the first place. They have no drive,not commitment, no passion for what they are doing. They are just there because they have been told that there is easy pickins. FREE STUFF !!
    NO . . . Then time to go home or get shot.
    SHOTGUN - - -> YOU COULD GET DOUBLES OR EVEN TRIPLES !! --- SAWMAN

That's good stuff, thanks! I think you're right. A few blasts from the 12 gauge will probably disperse any wood-be rioters.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm with the crowd, a 12ga is best residential. However, bet your ass I'll have an AR is either 5.56 or 300bo ready, as well as a 9mm sidearm. My shift in focus the past 2 years or so has been to prepare for "pickups", ex: my glock 9mm has run out of ammo but there are many many many other glock 9mm's out there available (magazines, replacement parts, etc). If I can find a "pickup" on the curb or in the hands of a downed comrade or enemy, I will be back in the fight asap. Oddball firearms are great, but maybe not so much in a survival/chaos scenario.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    I've got more Glock mags than I can carry and same with 9mm firearms that take Glock mags.
    I'm really worried about November.
    With all these nba players coming forward saying they want to pay the fines of felons so they can vote, along with some other very wealthy Democrats, they are going to be busing these people to the poles weather legal or registered or not.

Frankie251

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm with the crowd, a 12ga is best residential. However, bet your ass I'll have an AR is either 5.56 or 300bo ready, as well as a 9mm sidearm. My shift in focus the past 2 years or so has been to prepare for "pickups", ex: my glock 9mm has run out of ammo but there are many many many other glock 9mm's out there available (magazines, replacement parts, etc). If I can find a "pickup" on the curb or in the hands of a downed comrade or enemy, I will be back in the fight asap. Oddball firearms are great, but maybe not so much in a survival/chaos scenario.

I agree. I think Sawman and CaptRoy and you are right about the 12 guage, but I’m gonna have everything else loaded up just in case. I decided a long time ago, when everyone was moving to 40s, to stick with 9mm for most of my semis. This made ammo buying much easier. A few years ago you could buy ball 9mm for 15 cents a round. Now it’s double or triple that if you can find it. A few years ago I caught an LCP II on sale for under 200. I decided to give it a try as an EDC. That was the first 380 I’d ever owned but it sure makes carry easy, but for strategic purposes, you can’t beat the magazine interchangeability of 9mm Glocks and 556/223 ARs.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Even frangible. 223/5.56 can penetrate 11(+-) inches in naked 10% gel. It will pass through windshield glass, light sheet steel and a lot of common structure wall materials.

I understand the desire to eliminate collateral damage but is that Priority above stopping the immediate Threat(s)? Like all defense scenarios, accuracy stops the Threat and reduces collateral damage regardless of the tools used. Proper optics selection like RDS can increase speed and accuracy when your proficient with them.

Shotguns can be adequate but you must be proficient with Combat and Tactical reloading. You can vary and limit your "delivery" with Shell and Choke choice but may end up out gunned by distance and opposing accuracy. If a shotgun is your choice, 2 3/4 is the way to go and you should have already gotten a tube mag extention. Regardless of the Primary in your hands, an appropriate secondary should be on your hip and that's no place for CC handguns you chose with compromises in mind.

There are a bunch of different types of SHTF scenarios but there really is no difference in preparation when we comprehend the worst case and long term implications. There's only short term where current authority may question bodies in the driveway/streets and when there is no authority exercising any form of control that matters or impacts you. We are the Masters of our own Fate with any decision to use lethal force now or "Then",

ccc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    My house would be very hard to defend and anyone that thinks other wise is one Molotov cocktail away from being smoked out. If the SHTF like I think we will see in the next 12 months or less the best thing to do is get to a defendable area. My deer lease is right up the road with a bunch of good ole boys who have lived there forever and know those woods like the back of their hands. If I even sensed that a fight was coming to our neighborhood I would load food, guns and ammo in the vehicles and head to the woods. Do not stop planning at guns and ammo, plan as if you will lose electricity, have propane cookers, and same food you would store for a hurricane, get a good IFAC and make sure it is filled with things you might need, I suggest buying an empty one and then buying individual contents. A tourniquet is a must, have them stashed everywhere, vehicles, bug out bags, have extra cash on hand, and these are things you should be doing NOW or should have already done them. If you haven’t bought body armor it’s too late, you won’t get it in time for the election. And last but not least REALIZE that in a SHTF scenario you can not make it across town to save family and friends, they are on their own, they should have prepared, save you and yours !!!!!!

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    I’ve been vacillating between thinking about how I will protect my home, if or when the zombies attack in November, and thinking I’m crazy for thinking about it. I live in a relatively quiet neighborhood in the city limits of Pcola. I’ve been here for 30 years, and we don’t see much in the way of crime, and we know and keep in communication with all our directly adjacent neighbors, but not so much for those a few houses down. I’m pretty sure my neighbors are not well armed, and some are definitely liberal but one is conservative but elderly. Between them all, they may have a shotgun or two. I doubt anyone besides me has an AR or a high capacity, semi-auto handgun, or pump shotgun. I have all of the above and plenty of ammo that I stocked up on when it was cheaper and at least twelve 30 round mags for the AR.

I expect I’ll have them all loaded up before the election and be outside and concealed, but what I’m worried about is over-penetration with the AR. There’s almost no way to shoot from my yard and not hit a house across the street, and my neighbors are going to come look out the windows if there’s a commotion. I’ve thought about just loading up the shotgun with something like steel waterfowl loads which I have plenty of, or buckshot, but the capacity (6+1) worries me. I’d rather have 30 +1 in the AR.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone is having similar thoughts, and what you’ve decided. Hopefully I’m crazy and this never materializes — at least here, but I’d rather be ready and it not materialize than the other way around.
    The only fight you win is the one you see coming and avoid. Insure the house well and leave. It's not worth dying over or going to prison over. It's just a house

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I do not expect riots in rural suburban areas like where I live in pace. But, I was never a very good fortune teller. If I was I would be rich from investing in the stock market.

It is difficult for one person or even a small family to defend one house. Best thing for me would be not live in the house and a pitch a camouflaged tent somewhere on my 8 acres and fight from cover and concealment. For my own place I do have some barb wire that I could string.
    It is quite easy for a whole street to defend itself. But it would need cooperation to block the entrance ways into the area.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    If you insist on staying in an undefendable position, at least get the women and children away several days or weeks in advance. Then sand bag all the exterior walls. They're going to be aiming for the windows, so make some gun ports in the middle of the walls where there's no windows. Never fire from the same place twice in a row and they might think there's more than one man in there. Buy several fire extinguishers for each room.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you insist on staying in an undefendable position, at least get the women and children away several days or weeks in advance.

Shoot, my women and children are better shots than me! I might need their help! Hahaha! :)

They've been shooting .308 AR platforms since age 8 or so! My boy is deadly at age 6 right now. I have been raising my kiddos to be able to handle their own with a firearm! My wife could snipe anything from a long way away!

In all seriousness, I couldn't imagine living in a population center or near where all these idiots are congregating and burning things down. I made a conscious decision to move us further out and have a much further commute to work. Nothing is impossible. But being out in rural America definitely can make you more insulated from all the garbage that goes on in the cities.

IMG_20200101_171125335~2.jpg

17349813_10100937603961442_1242185036028684290_o (1).jpg

Top Bottom