• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gator1067

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Lately I’ve been using Silver Stag Knives. American made and hand made. Same person answers the phone every time you call. Steel is great and holds up very well. Just passing it on. Curious to see what knives every one favors for skinning. Always looking for a good knife that holds up.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I use a CRKT Free Range hunter, and a Havalon... cleaned several dozen deer, hogs and a few dozen gators in the last few years. No complaints.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Gator1067

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thank you for responding. The old sharp fingers are tried and true for sure I will look into the others. The havalon is the skinnier replacement blade knife rite. I use the outdoor edge replacement blade with the gut hook combo but don’t like how meat gets gummed up between blade and frame.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wyoming Knife, it will do just about anything but split spine long ways. I still have the first one I bought with the metal handle, put quite a few replacement blades on it. It has finger holes to easily maintain your line when covered in the slick stuff. You will never nick a bladder or bowels if you use it right. The current production knife has a poly or resin grip, same two blade angles.

I think any good, sharp, fixed blade knife with a 4-5 blade will augment the Wyoming Knife. Never seen a big-ass Rambo knife do anything well on a carcass. Quarter the big stuff down the spin with a hatchet and pack hammer (wood handle cut down to seven inches +-). Dull knives make more work and do a crappy job. Pack Stone, Rod or extra blades. Lol. I'd rather have an average steel blade that I can put an edge on in a minute or two than that advertised superduper "Edge Holding stuff" that also superduper hard to put an edge back on it.
    We've all seen old kitche and butcher knives that we can only guess the original blade contours, "Those" are cutting tools! IMHO, YMMV

I don't trust a folder OR folding locker on game. Too much action around bone and I've heard the story and seen the stitch work from one that went dead into the trigger finger joint and only stopped halfway into the middle finger.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I'm not much of a knife guy, but I got these perhaps in the early 90's, really can't remember. My brother and I got them from a friend who had quite a few.

Know nothing about Robert Gay other than he was from the St. Vincent Island area.

Handles are Sambar antler.

Gator1067

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Those are good looking knives. I’m not a knife fanatic myself but when your skinning 4 to 5 hogs or a couple deer a night. it’s nice to have some good steel that you don’t have to keep hitting on the rod every couple seconds. I’ve really become interested in the D2 steel. It’s holds up very well. My buddies joke that they just bring me along to skin. I think they are joking at least. Lol

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Boker Arbolito Stag Hunter. Been using it about 5 seasons now and it’s great. I also use my dads old folding schrade knife that is serrated all the way down. It’s super dull and works great at not cutting meat while cutting the skin off.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I always have at least four in my pack.
    Buck Kalinga
    Havalon w/ 5 new blades
    Small foldout from Harbor Harbor Freight w/ the sharply hooked blade and two extras( they are double hooked)
    And a small streight blade (usually a Buck)
    The hooked and small streight are great for taking the backstraps of hogs. It works like a zipper. You just "unzip" the skin from the animal. --- SAWMAN

Gator1067

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a great guy where I am that is retired and lives to sharpen knives. Only charges us $2 to $4 a blade. Uses belts and is good at what he does. Have some old butchers knives he brought back from the dead.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nothing but disposable havalons since I was guiding in AK

Not the havalons, but I have went completely disposable and replaceable as well. I get 2-3 deer out of a blade before I toss it. If it was a regular knife, I'd probably try to do that fourth before wanting it sharpened etc... But the new blade is so freaking sharp that I just don't want to full with the slightly dull one anymore and so I toss it after 2 - 3 animals and put a new blade in.

Top Bottom