Target Sports

What is weirdest/scariest thing you have seen while hunting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RevFisch

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was thinking about this the other day. I’ve heard of hunters seeing things in the woods. I thought it would be cool to see what you all have seen. I’ve heard of hunters finding meth labs, moonshine, bears, hogs, panthers etc.

For me I was dragging a huge hog out of Eglin one night and the Coyotes were yipping. Scared me.

My hunting buddy was walking to his stand early one morning and came upon a bunch of hogs. Had to jump behind a tree.

What have y’all seen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had a bobcat stalk me while turkey hunting one morning. I first saw him when he was about 50 yards out, watched him till he got within 10 steps thats when he couldn't figure me out and spooked. It was cool cause I had the upper hand so no need to be scared I just would yelp lightly with my mouth yelper and watch what he did, had him totally fooled but also had my shotgun trained on him at all times.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The scariest thing I’ve seen , was three city folks dressed in brand new Bass Pro digital camo clothing carrying new rifles and wearing new snake proof boots headed into the leased hunting land next to my farm. :bolt::bolt:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Only twice have I been scared in the woods ...

Wolves at night while snow camping in the UP of michigan. They would stay just out of the light from the fire. Build the fire up and they back up, fire dies down they would move in closer.

Kayaking in the spring turkey season, it's also alligator mating season. Oops! Came around a bend and saw a 16 foot female with her tail arched in the air and mouth open making sounds like Jurassic park. Wish I could have gotten a pix but was too busy $hitting my pants....

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Packs of coyotes howling close by while walking in the pitch black down a narrow trail in the woods always gets my attention. The only real time I got scared was one morning I was late getting out and it had just started getting light out. I crossed a bridge over a creek and turned to down a dark trail and all of the sudden it sounded like a giant was crashing through the woods coming at me. My heart was beating pretty good by the time I figured out it was about 15 turkeys who had come down off their roost early and took off not 10 yards from me in the woods crashing through the trees as they took off!

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Let me in addition to the scary part, a dumb thing I did earlier in my hog hunting career.

A large hog down, and I walk up to it in the dark with a flashlight on looking at its eyes and thinking to myself, it looks like it is looking at me. Here comes the dumb part: I'm get within a few inches of its snout and bend down to look along its body to see if I can see it breathing. It whips its head trying to get me with its cutters. I stumble back and shoot it in the head. He was good eating. At that time, it was my largest at 272 pounds. I no longer get that close until I am sure the hog is dead and pay attention to that little voice inside you.

***The hog was upright with its legs under the body. Sawman subsequently taught me an upright hog may not be a dead hog. Luckily the bullet had hit the spine, so its legs did not work.

Last edited:

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I was hunting this powerline in Holt when I watched this meth monkey crest the hill and commence to throwing everything out of a shooting house at 600yds...

I get on the phone with FWC and tell em my location as this dude makes his way towards me. After watching him, it was obvious he was on drugs/mental, and I got out of the box and watched as he got closer. He was unarmed but I held him at gunpoint until green jeans/okaloosa county both arrived. Apparently they had a lot of run ins with this fella.

That's about the most nervous I've been in the woods.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Shortly before graduating High School I drove to an area in the woods off a dirt road where me and friends often shot. This spot was in a longish valley between two paved state roads with multiple dirt roads in the valley going one way or another. While loading for another round of fire I heard a vehicle coming into the area on a side dirt road that passed nearby.

I moved to an elevated spot and watched a truck drive in, park, and an older guy got out. He slipped a pistol in his waistband and walked around before heading down the side road towards where I was shooting near a creek. I had parked a ways back on another side road, so I watched him as he roamed the stream bed near where I had been shooting before heading downstream on the exposed streambed.

Once he was down the creek a few minutes I doubled back and got out of there in my car. I unloaded my gun before I hit pavement, but until then I was scared and wound up tight!

People have scared me more than anything I have encountered in the woods, that is a fact!

no woryz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    closest WTF moment I've had in the woods was in Kansas... I was hunting the edge of an alfalfa field on an evening hunt... nothing i wanted to shoot so I got down at dark... I was removing my climber and heard what sounded like a monster rushing my way on the trail i was on.... just then a small 100lb doe ran by within 3 feet of me and a large coyote that was chasing her... both passed within a few feet and ran into the field, I could feel the wind as they ran by....... i turned my head to see the doe turn left & the yote turn right .... both running wide open to get away from me then..... not really scary more unexpected but really cool to have seen....

Joebob2

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was a 13-14 yr old kid and out deer hunting with my buddy and his dad. We were hunting on plots and it got dark, so I made my way back to the main road to wait on them to come pick me up. Pitch dark, no moonlight, and I start hearing this vicious growling noise. It gets closer and closer and I'm freaking out. I was sure it was a bear comng to eat me. After what seemed like an eternity, I finally see headlights coming up the road. I get in the truck as quick as I can and tell my buddy's dad about the huge monster lurking just out of sight. He said, "Oh, that's just Fred. He's got a bad cold and has been coughing all day!"

lettheairout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was hunting this powerline in Holt when I watched this meth monkey crest the hill and commence to throwing everything out of a shooting house at 600yds...

I get on the phone with FWC and tell em my location as this dude makes his way towards me. After watching him, it was obvious he was on drugs/mental, and I got out of the box and watched as he got closer. He was unarmed but I held him at gunpoint until green jeans/okaloosa county both arrived. Apparently they had a lot of run ins with this fella.

That's about the most nervous I've been in the woods.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    And the last time you hunted that area

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Squirreling in NC, heard that "womans death scream" cougars make too damn close! .22LR wasn't going to cut it. Backed out while that damn thing paralleled the narrow game trail. They are only stealthy quiet when they want to be and it didn't give a damn. Kept me in pucker mode for 1/2 mile.

On a Idaho elk hunt, while spotting from a finger ridge watching the area. Saw a bear 50 yards below and down wind, nose in the air a second later he was busting brush and coming my way! Jumped on the ATV and crap side slope slow path out. Thought I cleared the bear looking back and out when my left (down slope/tall brush) leg got raked hard. I didn't scream like a girl because I didn't hear it above that first gear NOW pegged at bazillion RPM! Got to a place where I could take my eyes of the trail and looked back, no bear, no blood or torn trouser leg. Drove out to fire trail then looked at leg: throbbing hand size black/blue raised lump/patch below the knee and wrapping back to calf, not broke but not supporting weight either. Sat in camp for two days hoping elk would visit in daylight, before I called it quits. Best guess is ft/L tire/fender caught a fair size and anchored deadfall limb w/branches and pushed along until it snapped past the fender smacking the leg. Limped for the better part of a month, took two months for the final green/yellow to disappear. Still, better than bear wrestling if a close quarters shot doesn't drop it immediately.

On another elk hunt, took a break and and sat under a cottonwood. I hear rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrŕrr. I think its a ATV rolling somewhere. Nope, finally found the rrrrrrrrrrr source: tree'd cougar. Time to go! After this, I started buying the Sportsman's Package that included Kitty and bear Tags in case.

I have a Wife and I scary encounter too, may share it later.

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Never ever try to catch a wild full spur turkey gobbler with your bare hands. It won't work out well for you, I promise. But how would I know?

pcolapaddler

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't hunt, but the wife and I did some tent camping once upon a time. We didn't get to see our creature; only heard it.

We were camping in the campground at Cheaha in Alabama. During one night we heard the 'woman scream' cry of some animal. The next morning we had paw prints on several items - cooler, picnic table - all only a couple of steps from the tent.

A bit unnerving at the time, but a fun memory now.

Sent from the largest mountain range in Florida.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wildlife "viewing". Wife and I took a motorcycle trip up to Glacier, Park closed because of fires. Diverted down to Yellowstone. "Some fires" there but Open. Fires got worse and Lightning started a few more. Next afternoon we "tried" to leave, only to find the roads closed near the East and South exits. Now it's dark except for the fires/glow, raining, smokey with dense patches. We're creeping along and hear critters CRASHING through the woods and that turns into a bison herd hauling ass parallel to the road, then singles and small groups would cut across in front. Then they took over whole road as we slowed more but tried to keep moving. Nothing passed us but a bunch must have crossed behind us and were passing in the woods to our right now too. I don't think any got closer than 15-20 feet but I couldn't see behind us. They outran us after a few minutes. Had a few elk cross in front but they were well clear, bison didn't give a damn. Truely natures: Lead, Follow or get the hell out of the way! Wife and I had faces like Alice Cooper from the ash/rain but the worse part was the slung dung on us and the bike.

Top Bottom