• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Got a bunch more ammo yesterday from a forum member. THANK YOU SIR.
    Have met some great members in the last couple months.
    Got several more guns to sight in when the WX gets a little better.
    Will have to find a scope for my 10.5" 6.8. Maybe just a small,open green dot reflex sight (?). ---- SAWMAN

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Got a bunch more ammo yesterday from a forum member. THANK YOU SIR.
    Have met some great members in the last couple months.
    Got several more guns to sight in when the WX gets a little better.
    Will have to find a scope for my 10.5" 6.8. Maybe just a small,open green dot reflex sight (?). ---- SAWMAN
    I put the p-tactical bdc 600? 1.5x4.5 nikon on mine. I like it. If I had a 3x or 5x prism I'd use that though. Another idea is the tritium see all sight. $120. Small, no freaking batts.

Attachments

• 20201030_142647.jpg
      20201030_142647.jpg
      2.3 MB · Views: 95
    Last edited:

timc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Picked up a Remington 700 in 308. Order mags for Sig P226, AR-15, and a Glock 17. Thinking of getting another Colt AR barrel

Tungoil

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We do have that.
    Plus when other clubs were closed we were open. No GOD like RSO's walking around either. No check in and out. Just drive in,set up,and shoot.
    No guest fees. Who wants to invite someone to go shooting with you but tell them that it will cost them $$.
    LOVE MY CLUB !! --- SAWMAN
    Been there as a guest. Super dadgum facility!!! Especially the Burma Shave Signs going in. Not to mention the "buffer zone" between range and Hwy 29! Super family friendly.

MadMac22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Just picked up a 43x MOS this morning
    Added a Sig Romeo 0 this evening

can’t wait to get out to the range sometime soon
    image.jpg

Attachments

• 93E77B76-A0DF-4778-8F9E-94102E374907.jpeg
      93E77B76-A0DF-4778-8F9E-94102E374907.jpeg
      2.7 MB · Views: 84

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Went to the PCB GUN show. More ammo vendors present then I've ever seen at this relatively small Show. For being under a Nation wide ammo shortage, tables were covered with an exceptional selection and large quantities. No tiny baggies of loose rounds this time. There's a good reason why so much was still available late Sunday afternoon. One vendor had a rack with about 20 different Powders, didn't I didn't see any primers. Revolvers, other than snubbies; were scarce. I don't think firearm prices have gone up as we get closer to the inauguration, that craziness is pretty stable as is.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    About 20 years ago I was in contact with a small importer (now deceased several years) in Virginia mainly importing Martini .22 rifles from the UK. Asked him if he ever came across any Martini's in .303. Told me he'd keep me in mind. Time goes by, and he says he found a nice one in .303 with an excellent bore. Says he'll ship it direct to me as an antique when it arrives in the U.S. Sure enough, nice looking with an excellent to mint bore, but it's not a military issued Martini as I'd envisioned with my limited knowledge. No import marks.

My research shows it to be a V.T.C. pattern Martini made during WWI by the private maker William Ford of Birmingham. The William Ford company mainly made shotguns, but made some Martini's for the Volunteer Training Corps. The VTC was a voluntary home defense militia in the UK during WWI. They did things like dug ditches in case Britain was invaded and guarded munition works and railways. They carried a variety of privately made and purchased weapons until later when some units were provided U.S. made military rifles such as P14's. The VTC pattern used a bbl similar in size to that of the .303 British Enfield and a regular size Martini action.

My Martini sent to me as an antique actually has British proof marks showing it was proofed on or after 1904, so I doubt it was a real antique. The "D" in front of the VTC would typically stand for the county of the VTC unit, such as Derbyshire, Devon, Dorset, or Durham. But some cities had a unit such as the VTC unit in Dublin, Ireland. I've been trying to find what the "D" stands for unsuccessfully so far and am waiting for any info from the Martini Society.

I worked up an accurate moderate cast bullet load that shot to the sights, but about 5 years later I tired of it and sold the rifle, loading dies, and loaded ammo. Years pass and last Wednesday I ran into the owner I sold it to. I overhear him mention he's selling some rifles, and the Martini is among them. I jump at the chance to get it back at what I sold it for years before. Over the years he's only fired about 25 of my lead loads through it. He's also unsuccessfully tried to find about the "D" mark.

Here's some pics. Anyone have any idea of what bayonet would fit? I suspect some type of British .303 Enfield bayonet, but I don't have one to try. Another VTC pattern Martini had a bayonet lug located at the bottom of the bbl and took the Pattern 1888 Lee Enfield bayonet I believe. "358" is stamped on the bayonet lug and the front of the front sight base on my example. Finally, here's pic of a VTC member with a Martini. As WWI went on, a VTC uniform was authorized with different markings/badges so one would know they weren't regular soldiers in the Army.

F4DEF4CE-4DA1-44D2-9385-342097D4BABA.jpeg
    6EC87148-0FD7-4B7B-9E19-104DA4E083C1.jpeg
    9E78098C-6B32-47AE-AF48-950577F9A7EE.jpeg
    39947138-FD52-4E09-9DC6-0099662EE84C.jpeg
    hgsat-vtc1w.jpg

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    About 20 years ago I was in contact with a small importer (now deceased several years) in Virginia mainly importing Martini .22 rifles from the UK. Asked him if he ever came across any Martini's in .303. Told me he'd keep me in mind. Time goes by, and he says he found a nice one in .303 with an excellent bore. Says he'll ship it direct to me as an antique when it arrives in the U.S. Sure enough, nice looking with an excellent to mint bore, but it's not a military issued Martini as I'd envisioned with my limited knowledge. No import marks.

My research shows it to be a V.T.C. pattern Martini made during WWI by the private maker William Ford of Birmingham. The William Ford company mainly made shotguns, but made some Martini's for the Volunteer Training Corps. The VTC was a voluntary home defense militia in the UK during WWI. They did things like dug ditches in case Britain was invaded and guarded munition works and railways. They carried a variety of privately made and purchased weapons until later when some units were provided U.S. made military rifles such as P14's. The VTC pattern used a bbl similar in size to that of the .303 British Enfield and a regular size Martini action.

My Martini sent to me as an antique actually has British proof marks showing it was proofed on or after 1904, so I doubt it was a real antique. The "D" in front of the VTC would typically stand for the county of the VTC unit, such as Derbyshire, Devon, Dorset, or Durham. But some cities had a unit such as the VTC unit in Dublin, Ireland. I've been trying to find what the "D" stands for unsuccessfully so far and am waiting for any info from the Martini Society.

I worked up an accurate moderate cast bullet load that shot to the sights, but about 5 years later I tired of it and sold the rifle, loading dies, and loaded ammo. Years pass and last Wednesday I ran into the owner I sold it to. I overhear him mention he's selling some rifles, and the Martini is among them. I jump at the chance to get it back at what I sold it for years before. Over the years he's only fired about 25 of my lead loads through it. He's also unsuccessfully tried to find about the "D" mark.

Here's some pics. Anyone have any idea of what bayonet would fit? I suspect some type of British .303 Enfield bayonet, but I don't have one to try. Another VTC pattern Martini had a bayonet lug located at the bottom of the bbl and took the Pattern 1888 Lee Enfield bayonet I believe. "358" is stamped on the bayonet lug and the front of the front sight base on my example. Finally, here's pic of a VTC member with a Martini. As WWI went on, a VTC uniform was authorized with different markings/badges so one would know they weren't regular soldiers in the Army.

View attachment 103083 View attachment 103084 View attachment 103085 View attachment 103086 View attachment 103088
    How many of us are ready to dig trenches? Those guys saw the writing on the wall. Use concrete, folks (for those of us privileged enough to own their land) while we have the luxury of time. "If you desire peace, prepare for war"

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210116-013954_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20210116-013954_Chrome.jpg
      117.5 KB · Views: 97

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    My gun related activity for today: I went house shopping, with a keen eye towards defendable positions

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    My gun related activity for today: I went house shopping, with a keen eye towards defendable positions
    I'm in a similar boat. My wife and I have switched from house hunting to looking for land to build on. Id like at least 3- 5 acres so I can build a small shop and a plinking area for my 1 year old to learn on as he grows up.
    the price per acre is making my eyes water though.

McRingo

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Gun stuff today, I went to the gun show and got exactly what I was looking for! Did I pay to much? Hell yes! but they had one and I am happy I got it! For you folks that are looking for land I am a Realtor so if you want my contact info PM me and I can search our area for whats available. At the gun show 9mm ammo was going for $1.00 per round!

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    We
    Gun stuff today, I went to the gun show and got exactly what I was looking for! Did I pay to much? Hell yes! but they had one and I am happy I got it! For you folks that are looking for land I am a Realtor so if you want my contact info PM me and I can search our area for whats available. At the gun show 9mm ammo was going for $1.00 per round!
    Well, what did ya get??

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I gave the kid that works for me part time on the farm ,three 325 round boxes of federal auto match 22 LF this morning. The squirrels have been running amuck around barns and other out buildings. From the sound of things there will be a lot less of them in the near future.

McRingo

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I gave the kid that works for me part time on the farm ,three 325 round boxes of federal auto match 22 LF this morning. The squirrels have been running amuck around barns and other out buildings. From the sound of things there will be a lot less of them in the near future.
    Good eatin! Hopefully your gonna fry them up with some white gravy and mashed taters!

Top Bottom