• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Honestly, it doesn't matter what you carry, if you don't know the basics and how to use it. I'd say invest in some good first aid and first response classes FIRST, and then start building your first aid kit. I carry what would be considered overkill, and I've also been trained in multiple classes due to my job in the oilfield. All of my vehicles have an absurdly large first aid kit, fire extinguishers, and the knowledge to use them efficiently and be able to triage. And I'm just some dumbass oilfield trash that just happens to like to be prepared. I'm sure you'll be able to do better than me.

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Doc, any value in taking the EMT classes and getting certified? My wife wants to. Not to do ambulance work or FD stuff just to be a good American.
    Get involved with cert program if they have one near ya. Good networking in my experience and hell I learned some things that actually have paid off responding in the past to a mva.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Honestly, it doesn't matter what you carry, if you don't know the basics and how to use it. I'd say invest in some good first aid and first response classes FIRST, and then start building your first aid kit. I carry what would be considered overkill, and I've also been trained in multiple classes due to my job in the oilfield. All of my vehicles have an absurdly large first aid kit, fire extinguishers, and the knowledge to use them efficiently and be able to triage. And I'm just some dumbass oilfield trash that just happens to like to be prepared. I'm sure you'll be able to do better than me.

I am competent with first aid and cpr. I have not used any of the newer trauma kits - I used to carry the quick clot powder when hunting (never used it), but that was it.

I have handled broken bones, car crash victims, boating accidents, and smaller stuff with everyday stuff. I have even put in stitches and super glued a few cuts.

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I am competent with first aid and cpr. I have not used any of the newer trauma kits - I used to carry the quick clot powder when hunting (never used it), but that was it.

I have handled broken bones, car crash victims, boating accidents, and smaller stuff with everyday stuff. I have even put in stitches and super glued a few cuts.
    I suggest adding a cat tourniquet to your kit along with the training to use it. I keep mine very close by when I visit the gun range in the event some moron shoots themselves, or worse, me.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    I suggest adding a cat tourniquet to your kit along with the training to use it. I keep mine very close by when I visit the gun range in the event some moron shoots themselves, or worse, me.
    That crap happens. My cousin shot himself right down the back of his leg. He was trying to be sneaky on the firing line about putting a 9mm in his pocket and for some stupid reason he decided to ride the hammer down at the same time

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    EMT classes would be great to take, it teaches from the ground up about the body and what's normal and not normal. They go over a lot of things in there of how to help others in need. She would get a good understanding of what to do in an emergency.

Doc

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Like he said, make sure you practice with what you carry. These skill sets are very perishable.

Doc

flaernurse

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I am a 25 year paramedic, 14 year ER nurse and currently a nurse practitioner. I have carried a basic first aid kit as well as a fully stocked response bag with airway supplies, IV fluids...etc over my life. My humble opinion is carry a basic first aid kit and get the knowledge to use it. I have never needed anything more than basic bandages and gauze wrap for my personal carry. Keep a tourniquet or 2 as well. All the other “cool gadgets” are just space wasters.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hello all!

what first aid should I carry in my EDC bag and in my cars.

I would like to be prepared for an accident. I am normally at the range every week or two.

Depends on your level of medical training.
    Only carry what you KNOW how to use.
    Veterans, Eagle Scouts, Firefighters and EMT's tend to carry a lot more than average.

Although it doesn't hurt to carry a box full of battle dressings...
    Kind of a use-able by anyone tool. Instructions right on the package ;)

torniquet.jpg

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

On a similar vein...

Just about every Fire District has Volunteer Classes for First Aid.
    And on several levels. The First Responder Class is really what every
    Citizen should take...because you really never know how BAD the
    situation you are going to come upon really is.
    Having at least seen the probable wounds from a mass casualty incident
    may save a lot of lives...knowing how to triage...how to apply the proper bandages...
    Say for instance you are at an intersection when a school bus runs a light
    and gets nailed by a semi or concrete truck...the right person with the
    right training can save a lot of kids quick. Even just getting the scared ones
    separated from the truly hurt ones makes a HUGE difference when the first
    ambulance shows up.

I'll also point out that the first time someone comes into a serious situation,
    chances are high they'll loose their lunch. The trick is, take a dozen steps
    away from the victims and then hurl...clean yourself up fast and get back
    to doing the Good Work. Even experienced FF"s & EMT's will do it.
    It's called being human. Most of us hold it down until the incident is under
    control, then we'll go find some bushes around a corner. Stuff Happens.

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Depends on your level of medical training.
    Only carry what you KNOW how to use.
    Veterans, Eagle Scouts, Firefighters and EMT's tend to carry a lot more than average.

Although it doesn't hurt to carry a box full of battle dressings...
    Kind of a use-able by anyone tool. Instructions right on the package ;)

View attachment 96443

I love carrying a shit ton of compressed gauze. You can use it for almost anything. Just cur a piece off or you can use it to pack a wound, or use it to secure a SAM splint or use it to make an ad hoc sling. It's cheap as hell also.

Doc

Top Bottom