Patriot Mobile

What do you plant in food plots and when?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Got a tractor and disk? Sure make things a lot(!!!!!) easier.

With only 40 acres, there's some implements you can get for a 4 wheeler to make things easier too. Best o luck!

Boogan1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Going back and forth about tractor and implements, sold everything when I sold my farms in Missouri. Thinking I might be money ahead to just rent a tractor when I need it.

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Going back and forth about tractor and implements, sold everything when I sold my farms in Missouri. Thinking I might be money ahead to just rent a tractor when I need it.

I think you're right on that. Demand for anything used is sky high (or was). That said, if you run across anything approaching a deal on an older model without computer controls, I'd jump on it. I doubt you'd ever regret it.

lettheairout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You do not need a tractor. No need to disc dirt. All your doing is killing your top soil. Sprayer is your best friend. Start spraying plots now with glyphosate. Soil sample is most important. Without it you are just wasting money on fertilizer. Build your own brassica blend and add clover. After you spray everything. Get ready to do it again in August or September. Usually 1st weekend in October is planting day. Unless we are in a drought. Go broadcast your seed mix. Then mow all the dead grass with a mower leaving it about 6" tall. If there is any grass left. Usually we spray sooner and after a bit you have bare dirt. Do not over plant. When looking at brassica it will say 20 lbs per acre. If you mix 4 different seeds, that does not mean 20lbs of each seed. You are going for 20 lb total. Or 30 lb being broadcast. No fertilizer until plot is growing good and about 4 to 6 inches tall.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I don’t plant as early as lots of other folks, usually plant the first or second weekend of November, mainly plant wheat but also will plant some oats. Then after cover up I’ll spread rape seed or turnip seed on the plots. Been planting food plots for 42 years, the later planting dates has always worked extremely well for me. An old timer told me long time ago not to plant fall crops until the temps get in to the 50’s at night, whether there’s any truth to that or not I’ve lived by it and have nice plots

Boogan1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Where do you send a soil sample? There was a university extension office where I am from that you picked up or requested a sample box be mailed to you and then you sent in the sample with a check. How does it work here?

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Where do you send a soil sample? There was a university extension office where I am from that you picked up or requested a sample box be mailed to you and then you sent in the sample with a check. How does it work here?

The County Extension office over there should take care of you.

Bay Ranger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I plant over in AL. I buy the sample boxes from the local COOP. They send it off to a commercial service for analysis. A report comes back and then I talk with the local manager about what and how much fertilizer lime to use.

Top Bottom