HD Tactical

What do you plant in food plots and when?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boogan1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I did a lot of food plots when I lived in MO but I am clueless about what grows down here and when to plant it. We bought 40 acres over by bonifay and it has a couple of acres of food plots. They are just grass/weeds right now. What do you guys plant down here and when do you plant it? I would be planting plots right now in MO. Thanks!

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There is a thread that talks about chufa. You might be a little late on that, but look at it for next year, especially for turkey. I only hunt public, so I'll let some others who plant chime in--so many theories and "favorites". Good luck!

Boogan1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I read the chufa thread and there are turkeys on the farm but being in Holmes county I can only kill one so probably going to lean more towards what I need for deer. Might also keep the deer from eating my garden and fruit trees.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Best luck I've had around here is with several different kinds of clovers, I usually do a mix of annual and perennial. Oats, Rye and Wheat do good Find your local Co-Op and go talk to them, they'll be able to tell you what grows best in your area!

Reactions: WRM

big jon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    turnips just disc a spot and sow ---peas---

big jon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    piles of corn but the fwc flies around looking foor piles of corn haha

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Almost forgot, Turnips, Rape, and Daikon/Forage radish make good mix! The Forage radishes grow deep roots and keep growing leaves back if the deer chew the tops off.

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    on the farm but being in Holmes county I can only kill one so probably going to lean more towards what I need for deer.
    If this is your land not a lease, I'd also suggest some specific fruit trees. There is a nursery in Florida that specializes in it. Chestnuts are a big one, but they have other complementary trees too. If interested, let me know and I'll dig up the info.

Just re-read original post--I'd definitely look at the fruiting trees.

And, Chavers feed and seed in Milton sells a good bit of stuff for planting and can special order. Don't let the building put you off. Good people.

Last edited:

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    1658246859135.png

Found it.
    If you can go to them with a trailer and are willing to buy the slightly smaller sizes and a number of them, I thought the pricing was pretty good.

Reactions: FLT

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This could be a cute answer, but I’m serious ,ever time I plant a garden the damn deer eat most of it. It would appear that if a person likes a vegetable that deer like it to.

big jon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    debs plants [my wife] in Milton can get you any fruit trees you need also saw tooth oaks are good chestnuts might be good but they have a spike shell that you wont like

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    debs plants [my wife] in Milton can get you any fruit trees you need also saw tooth oaks are good chestnuts might be good but they have a spike shell that you wont like

My understating is the chestnuts will be bigger producers, quicker, if planted right.

They also have several other varietals centered on deer. So check it out for a "shopping list".

But if you can get the appropriate varietal locally, I always prefer that.

big jon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    you ever had someone throw a chestnut at you,they are great big stars of spines that break off in you and you cant get them out till they fester up only things worse are cholah cactus and stingrays
    they love wild persimmons and acorns they will eat almost anything

Reactions: FLT

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    you ever had someone throw a chestnut at you,they are great big stars of spines that break off in you and you cant get them

Thankfully, no, but I know what you're talking about. I "think" their varietal isn't that unfriendly.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wild persimmons are great , but it takes 7 years or so before they start producing. They are deer magnets though and require little up keep once they become established.

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wild persimmons are great , but it takes 7 years or so before they start producing. They are deer magnets though and require little up keep once they become established.

Chestnut Hill claims as little as 2-3 years for their varietals. I've not planted any of them, but it seems they've geared what they carry to fast(er) production in our area and deer attraction. If I had 40-50 acres I was trying to turn into a "magnet", I'd sure be looking at planting producing trees.

hunter01

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    We always plant the first weekend of October. Our go to seeds are rye, oats and winter peas. These three have always produced good and last through the winter. 13-13-13 fertilizer and mid hunting season 33-0-0 aka ammonia nitrate should do the trick.

pcolakyle

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I would agree with hunter01 on the mix and timing. Just add a reseeding clover. Crimson is good or ladino. The clover you plant with your fall mix. In early spring you spray it with a selective herbicide. It will kill the grass and leave the clover. Now you have a summer plot. Deer and turkey love it. Over the years it gets thicker and thicker because it reseeds.

Bay Ranger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I was in the same position last year as you - new to deer food plots. Without getting into too much detail, a friend in MS who own 180 acres and has been doing this for 40+ years recommended a Sept plant of wheat, oats and clover. Clover to plant is ladino, crimson and arrow leaf. Wheat and oats for the fall and the clover for the rest of the year.

Get a soil sample to make sure you have the right soil ph - lime(?) and fertilize.

Got a tractor and disk? Sure make things a lot(!!!!!) easier.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom