DK Firearms

What’s the minimum caliber you use for hogs?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Smart man!!!! I had a buddy come by a few years back and wanted to go hog hunting I knew he ran dogs but I didn't know how he did it. I said let me get my rifle. He quickly said "I don't use guns.....I cut their throats when the dogs get them down. I said "not no-but Hell no". I think this is good proof that I'm smart too!

yes, you are smart if you said that...or should I say, at least you are not stupid....lol

I ain't elvis, and I ain't gonna be running hogs down with a folding buck hunter singing I did it my way...
    rather have something that barks over here and bites over there...

Gator1067

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Me and my buddies used to catch and tie only because we sold them and we carried knives only all the time. One night I went in on a good boar hog in the saw grass when my buddy told his dog to let go of a small hog and the dog that was holding my hog let go. To say the least I spent 15 min on the front of an airboat taking swigs of jack daniels holding my danglies to the side while my buddy sewed me up. The whole time he was saying don’t move or I’ll sew them to the side of your leg. Learned that night to always carry a gun and that my buddy was a true friend. Lol

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I don't like what I can't control , and I can't control a dog, but I can control a gun...

I have seen a hog skull with huge cutters, from around the nw fl area, and I don't fancy any more scars....

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    My buddies caught them and tied them up to sell once they filled there freezer’s. Grandpa used to trap them feed him up on corn before he butchered them. That way if he caught a bore he could castrate him before butchering as much as 30 days later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I have a crazy friend who hunts them with a 22 lr pistol. He goes out and tries to get them to chase him, then scrambled up a tree and shoots it.

I don’t hunt with him anymore...

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The minimum caliber I’d use is what ever I happen to have with me at the time . Hogs have caused Me a lot of trouble.

Last edited:

FowlHunter13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    If I could shoot those damn thing with a spit wad and have them run off and die somewhere, that would be just fine with me. Destructive little bastards! With that being said, I have killed them dead where they stand with a .22 WMR to a 45/70. Probably my favorite short range caliber would be with one of my .44 Magnum pistols or rifles. Just the sound of the impact does my spirit good. Probably my newest favorite is the AR I built in .350 Legend. Most of the time my hogs come in 10 to 20 at a time. It is a bit of luxury to have the first aimed shot through the scope and then start picking them off with my 45 degree irons as they haul ass. Just some of my simple pleasures.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    If I could shoot those damn thing with a spit wad and have them run off and die somewhere, that would be just fine with me. Destructive little bastards! With that being said, I have killed them dead where they stand with a .22 WMR to a 45/70. Probably my favorite short range caliber would be with one of my .44 Magnum pistols or rifles. Just the sound of the impact does my spirit good. Probably my newest favorite is the AR I built in .350 Legend. Most of the time my hogs come in 10 to 20 at a time. It is a bit of luxury to have the first aimed shot through the scope and then start picking them off with my 45 degree irons as they haul ass. Just some of my simple pleasures.

Let me know if you ever want help shooting them!

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    After testing 28 rounds of different 45-70 reloads, I can tell you my shoulder is dead! Found a perfect load with a 300 grain bullet on top of 52 grains of IMR3031. It'a a walllop! But it goes in the same hole at 100 yards and will smack them dead!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Lets all argue about using a 223/5.56 for at least two pages of post now.
    I say - - -> with the right bullet,distance,and shot placement . . . HELL YEAH !!
    I know that John would agree. ---- SAWMAN

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This you and John Agreeing thing , ————— is worrisome. Personally I’m afraid y’all are up to something.

Attachments

• 427479E3-B76B-4BBC-A9C9-A84583BEAA81.jpeg
      427479E3-B76B-4BBC-A9C9-A84583BEAA81.jpeg
      961.3 KB · Views: 169

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Chaps shot his first hog with one of my .223 hand loads. 65 gr Sierra Game King. Cleaning the hog we found complete lung penetration with body exit. Holes in chest cavity entrance and exit looked to be in the area of half an inch. The hog went about 25 yd and dropped. Fine results.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Lets all argue about using a 223/5.56 for at least two pages of post now.
    I say - - -> with the right bullet,distance,and shot placement . . . HELL YEAH !!
    I know that John would agree. ---- SAWMAN
    From a tree stand (with the NVS after dark) with the proper placement, out to 75 yards on hogs below the 300 lb mark I'll agree that the 5.56 can do. But afoot on the forest floor, nothing less than the 7.62 x 39mm for me.

Top Bottom