Target Sports

What’s the minimum caliber you use for hogs?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Instead of looking for the excaliber of guns, spend some of the time and money seriously shooting.

Gator1067

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Focus sight picture timing and shot placement is the same wheather it is on paper or a live animal. It all comes down to training with your weapon and knowing it’s capabilities and your bodies reaction to stress as it is transferred to your trigger squeeze. I do know many people that can shoot sub moa on paper all day long but can’t hit the broad side of the barn in the woods. Again It all comes down to training. At the range they are calm in the woods they are not. Now if you do a couple jumping jacks or what ever to get the blood pumping rite Before you sit down to punch paper you will learn to control your bodies reaction to stress heart rate breathing before you make your squeeze on the trigger. That training is what your body will revert back to in times of hunting excitement adrenaline. (Buck fever) Then again a monster Boone and Crockett buck standing at 300 yards does get the old heart pumping pretty hard.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Now to come back to the basics of Marksmanship.

That non-moving 8 inch paper plate is the basis for all shots ever taken on live game.

Stand up unsupported with Y'all's hunting rifle and nail that 8 inch paper plate 10 out of ten times @ 100 yards and only then should Y'all attempt that 100 yard shot on live game. JMHO.

Can't make it 10 of 10 standing? How about 10 of 10 Kneeling? Or perhaps 10 of 10 sitting? Perhaps 10 of 10 Prone? "A Man's got to know his limitations." (Dirty Harry)

That 8 inch non-moving paper plate isn't just a target, it's a measure of Y'all's Marksmanship. Prior to attempting any shot on living game, Y'all need to perform those deeds repeatedly on non-moving 8 inch paper plates. Just so that Y'all understand, 8 inches is the vitals of a common American Deer. JMHO.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Some of US may be offended by being lumped into the 1 MOA Shooter Club! But irregardless of how sloppy Time & Tide or Old Age & Traitorously treat US. Cubic inch Displacement don't make up "Shot Placement"!
    A miss with an Atom Bomb is still a MISS! A 22LR in the vital zone shall still be more effective in harvesting game than any miss of any caliber. Just the living truth. JMHO.

Agree for the most part. Hydrostatic shock is only so useful, I'm sure many of y'all have seen it play out, animal get knocked down, you think you made a great hit, only for the damn thing to jump up 60 seconds later and run off, or try to.

I've also seen it happen with a human...

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Agree for the most part. Hydrostatic shock is only so useful, I'm sure many of y'all have seen it play out, animal get knocked down, you think you made a great hit, only for the damn thing to jump up 60 seconds later and run off, or try to.

I've also seen it happen with a human...
    Getting back to the OP, one does need 'enough' gun. But one should still put all towards making a good shot first. Some years ago at an IDPA match was a retired Illinois state trooper. He recounted how an arm wound from a 30-06 did not stop a felon. In another case he gut shot a man with a .357 mag and the fugitive run a distance before dying. Felon also may have received other wounds.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That enough gun, kind of reminds me of W.D. Bell the African elephant hunter. Bell used a 7 x 57mm to drop almost a thousand elephants, but it was a direct result of his ability to properly place the shot within the head of the elephant that made the 7 x 57mm enough gun for W. D. Bell.

So when it comes to hogs, the skillset of the shooter will probably more important to determining what distance to take a shot. Most times there isn't much more than 50 yards of clearing in the Florida scrub brush, but clearcuts and power lines can offer shots out to my personal max range of 300 yards. So anything .223/5.56 and up should be effective at 50 yards, but many of the brush calibers may not be very effective at 300 yards. I personally limit .223/5.56 to 50 yards and 7.62 x 39mm/ 30-30 to 100 yard shots. If shots of over 100 yards are to be taken, .308 Win/30-06 are my preferred calibers. Just what works for me, YMMV.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    He most likely used FMJ round nose and shot the animals at 35yds while they had their head down. And the excellent S.D. of the .284" bullets.
    NOTE: I really doubt if he loaded his bullets backwards either. --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That enough gun, kind of reminds me of W.D. Bell the African elephant hunter. Bell used a 7 x 57mm to drop almost a thousand elephants, but it was a direct result of his ability to properly place the shot within the head of the elephant that made the 7 x 57mm enough gun for W. D. Bell.

So when it comes to hogs, the skillset of the shooter will probably more important to determining what distance to take a shot. Most times there isn't much more than 50 yards of clearing in the Florida scrub brush, but clearcuts and power lines can offer shots out to my personal max range of 300 yards. So anything .223/5.56 and up should be effective at 50 yards, but many of the brush calibers may not be very effective at 300 yards. I personally limit .223/5.56 to 50 yards and 7.62 x 39mm/ 30-30 to 100 yard shots. If shots of over 100 yards are to be taken, .308 Win/30-06 are my preferred calibers. Just what works for me, YMMV.
    You need to read the account by Hunter that while he some years younger than Bell did have some experience with Bell in his older years. On at least one of 'K' Bell last hunts there were problems. Early on in Africa the elephants were easier to approach and perhaps Bell was a better shot in his earlier days. If you place your shots right a 6.5 or 7mm will do the job, but we are talking surgical precision here. Even .22 rim fires have killed elephants, but it is just plain not a good idea. For elephant the .458 Win Mag seems to be a good compromise over what a man can reasonably deploy and yet put a .45 caliber hole through an elephant. Many in africa still consider the leopard the most dangerous even though a shotgun with buckshot is good medicine for it. The problem is hitting one if it decides to attack. They are fast and know the use of cover and are intelligent.
    Hunter used heavy british made double guns and he was the one that mentioned reversed soft points. Not what he generally used of course and he killed 1,000's of the big 5 in Kenya prior to WWII. His book is worth reading of Africa during british colonial rule.
    1588378384829.png

Gator1067

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This forum is very impressive and informative for some one like me. I am a rarity you could say in the gun world. I don’t own a lot of fire arms but more own 1 or two for each job. I take the fire arm and shoot and adjust it too the respective ranges I will be using it until I can shoot a three round group in a dime or less at 100 and of course open up a little after that. I only use bolt guns for rifles and have never owned an AR style rifle. Use them at work but have never owned one. I have never got into competition shooting but am a sucker for long range shots. Seeing all the different likes dislikes and opinions with those that have similar interest with each other is great. That is how you learn and become better at what you do.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This forum is very impressive and informative for some one like me. I am a rarity you could say in the gun world. I don’t own a lot of fire arms but more own 1 or two for each job. I take the fire arm and shoot and adjust it too the respective ranges I will be using it until I can shoot a three round group in a dime or less at 100 and of course open up a little after that. I only use bolt guns for rifles and have never owned an AR style rifle. Use them at work but have never owned one. I have never got into competition shooting but am a sucker for long range shots. Seeing all the different likes dislikes and opinions with those that have similar interest with each other is great. That is how you learn and become better at what you do.
    You sound like an honest man and non-assuming person. That is the highest praise you can get from me.

Gator1067

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well thank you. Don’t have face book or any of that social media stuff besides this forum and still believe a mans word and a hand shake seals the deal even if a better deal comes after. I also still believe a mans word is all he can have in this world that’s worth anything even if he’s lost everything else that others consider valuable. Been burnt many times by that philosophy but even in these times I’ll still look ya in the eye shake your hand and give ya my word which is my bond. On the other hand if I don’t agree with something I’m not shy and will let ya know straight up front where I stand so there’s no questions wondering or beating around the bush. That’s who I am and I appreciate y’all letting me share your time and knowledge.

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well thank you. Don’t have face book or any of that social media stuff besides this forum and still believe a mans word and a hand shake seals the deal even if a better deal comes after. I also still believe a mans word is all he can have in this world that’s worth anything even if he’s lost everything else that others consider valuable. Been burnt many times by that philosophy but even in these times I’ll still look ya in the eye shake your hand and give ya my word which is my bond. On the other hand if I don’t agree with something I’m not shy and will let ya know straight up front where I stand so there’s no questions wondering or beating around the bush. That’s who I am and I appreciate y’all letting me share your time and knowledge.
    can't get much better than this!

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Great job. I'd eat that one. Home rolled or factory ammo? Sub or sonic? Center of neck or spine? Exit wound? I've been shooting the hornady 55 grain spire points on paper, accurate. 20 inch 223w sidecharger. Just picked up some of the hornady ballistic tip 55gr V max haven't shot them yet. I know, always with the questions...lol.

Last edited:

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    That rifle is sighted for xm855, and this was a last minute hunt so I grabbed the first bit of non fmj I saw in the safe. I think they were hornady American white tail but they could have been something else. Pig was quartered to, and taking a few steps, so I just put it center of the neck. No exit that I saw. I gave it away so not too sure what the bullet did, other than put a hurting on her. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Last hog I got was with my bare hands.
    WinDixie meat isle 2pk Boston butts.
    Both on the smoker now.
    Sure would like to get back out in the woods and get one.
    .308 is what I use when Im not in WinDixie.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom