• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I have owned a few Vortex scopes over the years, and one of them was a 2x adjustable. I was satisfied with the quality, but I'm not a super duper master sniper at 1,000 yards like you either

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have owned a few Vortex scopes over the years, and one of them was a 2x adjustable. I was satisfied with the quality, but I'm not a super duper master sniper at 1,000 yards like you either
    Well, I'm looking for a conventional mount on the Ruger Scout Rifle so 300 yards either KD or on live game is about max. Even with Rugers highest rings a 50 mm bell wouldn't clear the Scout Rail so I stuck the 44 mm Diamondback on it for a trial run to see how things went conventionally. Now it's time to tailor the conventionally mounted scope to the selected purpose. Since Weavers Tactical 2-10 x 36 is discontinued I'm just wondering how the Vortex Viper stacks up. I'm willing to give Vortex another chance if this isn't another of their Chinese Junk models? Nothing would make me happier than finding an American Product to hang my hat on.

Last edited:

Grits1/5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Viper PST’s are very nice glass with nice turrets. I have been happy with mine, but I have the 3-15x50 model. The gen 2 models are nicer than the gen 1, but the gen 1 are great for the discounted price that you can usually get them for. Euro Optic is my go-to for vortex, because they offer like a 40 or 50% military discount

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

seandizzie

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    After the disappointment of the Diamondback, I'm Leary about Vortex. Is the Viper another Chinese made product? Any one have/use : Amazon product ASIN B084ZSVCMD
    Vipers are Philippines.

Have a 3x15x44 and 5x25x50 2gen Vipers. I did break the turrets on the 5x25 when it fell off bench on to cement. It was replaced, but after that experience, the strength of the turrets has been a question in the back of my head.

No experience with tract but have read good things about them. I believe they are a Japanese based product, but not sure.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    what about our sponsor @TRACT Optics
    2.5-15 x 44 FFP not illuminated and what Reticle? 1K. Good review on the hide. https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/tract-toric-uhd-hunting-rifle-scope-review.7129369/

Last edited:

Grits1/5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    I actually do have a Vortex PST 2.5-10x44 scope that I had forgotten about, lol. It’s a gen 1 model with battery located on the rear of the scope body instead of the on the turrets. It’s a good quality scope, the turrets are nice with positive clicks, and the glass is good. To my eyes, the glass quality is pretty comparable to a Leupold vx3, so good but not mind blowing. Reticle is very usable with good illumination. It seems to be a very sturdy scope, but rather heavy. The reason I bought it was the price, they are out of stock now, but when I purchased it from EuroOptic about a year ago, it was on sale for $330+ tax, which was about 50% off. So for the price, it was hard to beat the performance.
    More recently, I purchased the 3-15x gen 2 model, and it’s definitely superior to the 2.5-10 gen 1, in every way. But even on sale, it was double the price. Personally, I like Vortex. Their warranty is just about as good as it gets, and they are a great value. The Viper and Razor models are really nice, but I haven’t used their lower end models.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sounds like you are happy with Vortex. But I must ask if you have viewed or used either Japanese or German Glass? Now SWFA has been pioneering PI built optics for some time, have you ever spied with your own eyes any of their products? None of this really has anything to do with Vortex, but since PI assembly? Perhaps it's an orange to orange question?

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    BTW, how small are the in the cap DOPE rings? Does the .308 168 SMK fit inside the aft ocular cap of the 2-10 x 32? What about 147 M80?

Grits1/5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sounds like you are happy with Vortex. But I must ask if you have viewed or used either Japanese or German Glass? Now SWFA has been pioneering PI built optics for some time, have you ever spied with your own eyes any of their products? None of this really has anything to do with Vortex, but since PI assembly? Perhaps it's an orange to orange question?
    Well, the vortex razor use’s Japanese glass, and it is superb, I only have the 1-6x model, not any of their higher magnification models, but the razor 1-6x quality and clarity are superb. I also use a Steiner p4xi, which I think is German Schott glass. Also outstanding glass, but only 1-4x. I often hear folks say that the vortex viper line is about 90% of the quality of the Japanese made Razor line. I’m not an expert enough to define the Viper quality in those terms. The glass is very nice, but definitely not in the same class as German Schott or Japanese ED or LOW glass.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, the vortex razor use’s Japanese glass, and it is superb, I only have the 1-6x model, not any of their higher magnification models, but the razor 1-6x quality and clarity are superb. I also use a Steiner p4xi, which I think is German Schott glass. Also outstanding glass, but only 1-4x. I often hear folks say that the vortex viper line is about 90% of the quality of the Japanese made Razor line. I’m not an expert enough to define the Viper quality in those terms. The glass is very nice, but definitely not in the same class as German Schott or Japanese ED or LOW glass.
    Thank You for the honest assessment. Without color charts and extreme distance KD Range Time it can be difficult to make determinations on glass clearity. But shooting the box can make mechanical repeatability more precise. One of the telltale signs of glass clearity is how far away you can use the scope to determine 5.56 hits when grouping loads. If your average spotting scope is required, either group size is to large or glass clearity is to low. JMHO. For example both my 5-25 S&B's and Steiner:s don't need spotting scopes at 800 meters. My Weaver Tactical's get fuzzy after 700 Meyers. I'm hoping that the Vortex Viper is at least usable at the 300 yard KD Line. Further would be better..........

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I wouldn't rate the entire line off of the Diamondback...but the older Diamondback HP are good kit for a hunting stick
    I have a Gen I and a Gen II PST in 5-25. I doubt you would have a problem seeing anything at 300 with one...or at 800 either.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I wouldn't rate the entire line off of the Diamondback...but the older Diamondback HP are good kit for a hunting stick
    I have a Gen I and a Gen II PST in 5-25. I doubt you would have a problem seeing anything at 300 with one...or at 800 either.
    Well, if you feel that strongly. Now I've got some experience with 10x at 800, perhaps it's time to pull the trigger and see? At least I can give an unvarnished opinion between the Tactical Weaver Glass and the Vortex Viper since both are 2-10 in the 30 something range. Guess it's time to wait on shipping? Thank Y all, perhaps?

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I have run 14X to 900 and it takes a few to see strike on dark objects, not something I am fond of. but It sure is easier with 25X. I seriously doubt that you will be looking for 22 cal holes at 300. Then there is always the sure sign of a hit... when the squirrel falls out of the tree.

Don't pull the trigger on what I said. The glass in the Vortex line starts to get good with the PST.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Have a 3x15x44 and 5x25x50 2gen Vipers. I did break the turrets on the 5x25 when it fell off bench on to cement. It was replaced, but after that experience, the strength of the turrets has been a question in the back of my head
    I've said it before and I'll say it again... "If we are afraid to beat something to death with our own rifle for fear of breaking our rifle... then we bought the wrong rifle." and in this case we bought the wrong optic. Fix it with a different optic.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've said it before and I'll say it again... "If we are afraid to beat something to death with our own rifle for fear of breaking our rifle... then we bought the wrong rifle." and in this case we bought the wrong optic. Fix it with a different optic.
    That is just another example for redundancy. Iron sights + scope on hunting rifles, and you have a second hunting rifle as a backup. Guess that's why double gun bags are so popular? Since I have illuminated FFP 2-10 x 30 something's on all my hunting rifles, and Leupold's offering is on a 34mm tube at $ 2.4K. With the max purpose of 300 yard shots, the Vortex Viper Illuminated FFP MRAD 2-10 X 32 appears to met all the scout rifles requirements. If the glass proves to be unsuited to 300 yards (as did the Diamondback) I may be able to swap the Weaver Tactical 2-10 X 36 off the Mini-30 since it's hunting ceiling is 150 yards and paper punching I seldom take it beyond 200 yards. It's only money, someone else will want it if I don't? There is a butt for every seat. LOL.

seandizzie

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I ain’t trying to take them to battle, just target shooting.

Took a 4 foot drop off a bench onto concrete directly on the turrets, which are exposed. It did not disturb the zero, but they bent and did not function right, it was still useable and continued to shoot using the reticle to hold. I don’t have the $ or time to burn trying to drop test/break scopes, but I have a feeling not many would have survived that.

I hear your concern, and have other things I would use in that situation.

Btw, no questions asked they sent me a brand new one

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Just because I have seen videos of driving nails in a board with a NightForce doesn't mean I should do it with mine...but it is good to know

I lost the Zero reset shims for my Gen I and they insisted on sending me replacements at no charge. Sent something else with it but I don't remember what swag it was.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Okay, I get the customer service angle. Yet that only lasts until the next conglomerate purchases the company making the original founders set for life and then the business bean counter practices of the day take effect. Business is business, customer service is only a startup commercial venture. Things will change. JMHO.

Top Bottom