• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sorry to hear about your dog in surgery. Hopefully she recovers well. If not, you have some choices to make that you probably were not expecting to deal with for awhile. That sucks.

The new “owners” with their own GSD and land should already have been told exactly what happened. I doubt the young GSD just “snapped” without a cause. There was a trigger, regardless of innocent act or right/wrong, something triggered that response. Until that “something” is figured out, that GSD needs to be kept away from dog parks, small pets, kids, etc. That’s a young adolescent male GSD. It has attacked a domesticated animal and drawn blood. It should be “trusted” accordingly.

You did a string of honorable things:
    Taking in a dog in need. Not punishing it severely in the heat of the moment. Finding it a new home while things are worked out. Getting your dog medical care.

You and your family should remember that even with the best intentions and caution, these things can happen, whether after 36 hours or 36 months or longer.

You did many right things.

I hope your small dog is doing better each day.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    A very long time ago. My mom calls me up. She knew I had big dogs back then. She explains how my bro is friends with a sherif or something to that affect, it was so long ago I can't honestly remember the finer details. Anyways I'll call him a cop. The cop busted a dog fighting ring and all the fighting pit bulls was put down. But.. there was a large albino female that was an older "breeder/mom" dog. It was said it was uninvolved in all the craziness and if it didn't get a good home they would be forced to put it down too. So I was a softy and said sure I want it. I didn't have the heart to let it get killed. So I went and got it. I rode all the way home with it in the back seat and it's head eight beside mine all the way home. It seemed super calm and cool. The whole nine yards. I did however know not to fully trust it yet. I wasn't prepared for it either. I didn't even have a dog house for it yet or nothing of the sort etc. So I wound up tying it to a tree outside as I went in to shower and stuff. It was a long day after all. I used a stout 5/8 inch or better rope to tie it. I went inside of a bit then heard something at the door. When I opened it the dam dog was sitting right there wagging it's nub, but with a bloody nub of a rope hanging off its neck lol. The dam thing chewed right thru it and the blood was from its gums lol. No big deal right? I go out and re tie it up and give it some water. I go back in and tell my wife to get a plate of food ready. As I was distracted she vollenteered to go out and feed her. I heard a commotion outside and ran out. My wife looked like she was petrified and out of breath. She said when she got close the dam thing tried to kill her and ran to the end of the rope. If the rope didn't stop it, she'd have been attacked. I called up my mom and asked my bro wtf was going on with it. He said "oh yeah that dog hates women" I was super pissed he didn't warn me. After all I had a daughter too at the time in diapers. After all that I had to go put it down. I couldn't risk it escaping. I felt terrible. It was a beautiful dog. Just be careful with new adult animals. Don't give them the chance to do bad until you know them very well. I'm sorry about your dog. That really sucks. If there is a "next time" yeah limit their access to things for a good couple of weeks and ease them into things little by little is all I can say. I hope your dog heals up soon. Just thought I'd share this as a warning for others too. It's a shame that happened but I'm glad worse didn't happen also. Wanting to help is a tricky situation at times. Anyways good luck and sorry that it ended that way

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Unfortunately, most rescue dogs need rescuing for a reason, thankfully not all of them are Vicious. But 5 or 6 thousand dollars worth of furniture will make you regret the decision to take them in.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Unfortunately, most rescue dogs need rescuing for a reason, thankfully not all of them are Vicious. But 5 or 6 thousand dollars worth of furniture will make you regret the decision to take them in.

My experience is the opposite. ALL of my dogs were rescued. Some from horrible living conditions; some from a breed-specific rescues who already found them, vetted them, and were fostering them. All of them were/are great dogs. Some had that “fighting” instinct IF understandably provoked. All were sweet animals and family-friendly.

All that said, we still don’t leave our dogs alone with kids. You never know what could happen, but the end result is just physics: strong canine jaw muscles plus sharp teeth vs soft human skin and muscle. It doesn’t matter why something happens or even whose fault it is, the kid loses.

Lots of great dogs have been ruined by Piss-poor captors, and sometimes there’s very little a well-meaning rescuer can do about it.

It’s not the dogs fault.
    It’s not the rescuer’s fault.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That depends on a person’s tolerance, I decided to keep the lab , but knew that I would not be able to leave him in the house alone.

SMeyer524

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Update, it’s been almost 9 weeks since the incident. Our small dog Callie had surgery to repair the broken leg and nerve damage. She has been constricted to a kids Pack’n’play since that is blocked in half. Enough room for her to turnaround and sit and eat when we bring food and water. We have had to carry her out to the bathroom since, she stays on a leash and is not aloud to walk. For the first 5 weeks or so she was very sick. We made about 5 trips to the vet in that time period and she was on many medications. Week 5 x-rays showed the 5/64 stainless pin was bending and putting pressure on the plate on the front side of the leg. Todays X-rays showed it has gotten worse, the bone is not healing and the plate and top 2 screws have almost become loose.

The doctor gave us a few options, stating that this is the first fracture in the past 2 years that has not been fixed on the first try. Unfortunately with the placement of the break and the probability of the surgery not being successful a second time, we have chose to have her front leg amputated. We found it the most humane option, with most dogs full recovering in 4 weeks. We have done a lot of research and at first I believed this option to be off the table, but I believe with a board certified surgeon, he can clean her up and we will have her up and moving rains no later than halloween.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Would you be up to a second opinion?
    My girlfriend is the general manager at Cordova in Pensacola. They are backed up but I may be able to put in a good word. Pets are kids. I had a 3 leg for a couple years. Cancer still got him. He was up on 3 the next day. Running within a week. Never seen such a thing. He fought till he couldnt.

Edit. My lady asked if you used Davis, Dr Montgomery. Said she would trust his opinion. They are 2 weeks out on appointments. She said to call and you may find someone canceled.

Best of luck to your pup, whatever you do.

Last edited:

SMeyer524

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Would you be up to a second opinion?
    My girlfriend is the general manager at Cordova in Pensacola. They are backed up but I may be able to put in a good word. Pets are kids. I had a 3 leg for a couple years. Cancer still got him. He was up on 3 the next day. Running within a week. Never seen such a thing. He fought till he couldnt.

Edit. My lady asked if you used Davis, Dr Montgomery. Said she would trust his opinion. They are 2 weeks out on appointments. She said to call and you may find someone canceled.

Best of luck to your pup, whatever you do.
    Thanks for reaching out. I actually got a second and third opinion yesterday too. We are at Dr Montgomery and although he is a highly recommended surgeon, I just had to get make sure we were exploring all of our options.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I’m sorry to hear that Callie has had such an ordeal and a little more to go, but it sounds like she is in a great home with supporting people.

For what little it’s worth, I’ve known a few “tripods” and yes, they seem to do well. Weight management for the pet, and activity moderation for the remaining limb, were the new focus to avoid over-exerting the limb/joints doing the double-duty.

You’ve probably already seen this website:

There are a ton of other resources out there, that’s just one hub. Prosthetics. Special harnesses, or DIY modify an existing one, if Callie uses or needs one. Etc.

Thanks for sharing the updates with us. Best wishes for all of you to get some normalcy back in your lives.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    you showed great restraint on how you handled the attack... i love animals, but i have to admit, that dog would have been immediately dispatched to doggie afterlife at my casa...
    my wife witnessed one of her little dogs ripped open and killed right in front of her in about 10 seconds by two neighbors dogs.. she could not even speak afterwards, to this day, she cannot
    describe which dogs it was... i would have shot them in a ny skinny minute if she had.

had a 3 legged cat once, he did fine, but loved his neck scratched on the missing rear limb side.. best wishes on recovery

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Thanks for reaching out. I actually got a second and third opinion yesterday too. We are at Dr Montgomery and although he is a highly recommended surgeon, I just had to get make sure we were exploring all of our options.
    10 4. Montgomery is the only board certified surgeon in town. The doctor my girlfriend works for has a special interest in orthopedics. He does a knee operation that people from from all parts for him to perform. He loves to explore and try new methods.
    Keep us posted.

SMeyer524

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    2 days post op! She’s doing great! After the first surgery she had to be kept in a crate, couldn’t walk, leash and carried to the bathroom. After this one, she has free roam of the house and 0 restrictions. She doesn’t move around to much, but our other pup is happy to have her to lay around with again!
    Appreciate all the support!

Attachments

• 3AA2302A-329C-468E-8876-FED68961A57C.jpeg
      3AA2302A-329C-468E-8876-FED68961A57C.jpeg
      537.6 KB · Views: 55

Latest posts

Top Bottom