• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I've been investing in some specialty tools lately and I'd like to pick up a trigger scale next. My LGS has a fillet knife/fish scale combo for $20 (and I recently broke my 30 year old knife), looks an awful lot like the wheeler manual one. And I see this one all over ebay; https://www.ebay.com/itm/2251866799...MgVjFRR0K&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPYi

I'm only a hobby gunsmith, mostly for myself, I've been experimenting with some trigger work and realized it would be nice to actually measure results
    Recommendations, advise, offers of older models collecting dust...

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I have the Wheeler digital, which is great for max/min/average, etc. I'm a little hesitant to use it to pull at the upper ranges (up to 12 lbs.), but in some cases, you can get your finger into the trigger guard and press the sensor against the trigger... in fact, I prefer to use it that way when possible.

https://www.wheelertools.com/gunsmi...rofessional-digital-trigger-gauge/710904.html
    Yeah I've been looking at many, just hard to justify buying one of those, maybe if I were a YouTuber or professional taking in work.
    The $40 ebay one is about my upper limit, was hoping to find someone who may have used one. Or see what opinions are less expensive manual models.

Last edited:

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yeah I've been looking at many, just hard to justify buying one of those, maybe if I were a YouTuber or professional taking in work.
    The $40 ebay one is about my upper limit, was hoping to find someone who may have used one. Or see what opinions are less expensive manual models.
    Yep... I paid $48 for mine (2020), but they're higher than that now. Nothing wrong with a good spring gauge, and for some applications, it may be preferable... so I probably need one of those, too! : )

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Been waiting on a lower to show up, so I'll be in my LGS (shameless plug; Guns R Us in Elba, AL, $20 transfer for 1st item $5ea for any more, & just became class-lll) Tue, I'll probably pick up that combo pack, if it isn't satisfactory I'll step it up to digital.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I use the Lyman Electroinc and am happy with it. If I had the Wheeler I probably would be too.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Here are the differences I see between the Wheeler and the Lyman:

1. The Lyman should be better for curved triggers; the Wheeler should be better for straight triggers.

The Lyman, on a curved trigger, should naturally roll into the deep part of the curve as long as you're pulling straight back, just as your finger would. On a straight trigger, the Lyman may try to roll... most likely towards the bottom of the trigger, but possibly up towards the pin if you're pulling at a slightly upward angle... which will change the reading due to differences in leverage. The Wheeler, on a curved trigger, needs to be placed where you want it (i.e., in the deepest part of the curve), since it's not designed to roll. However, this is an advantage on a straight trigger, since, as long as you place the "hook" in the correct position on the trigger, it will tend to stay there while pulling.

This gets into why I'm not keen on straight triggers, though I've never owned one. How easy is it to get a consistent trigger-finger placement on a straight trigger, since you have no reference point, and the finger doesn't naturally gravitate to it, as it does on a curved trigger? Remember: If you shift your finger (or gauge) up and down the length of a straight trigger, the effort to release will change due to varying leverage.

2. The Lyman looks stronger, as far as pulling on a heavy trigger using the housing alone, which is a good thing, since that's your only option being that the sensor is in the main housing. But the Wheeler has the sensor in the "hook", which allows you to press the trigger by pressing the hook, as opposed to pulling on the housing. Actually, I prefer to use it this way, and would be hesitant to pull on the housing to test a 12 lb. trigger anyway, since the arm doesn't look as rugged as the one on the Lyman. So the Lyman is pull only, whereas the Wheeler allows press or pull.

One thing to keep in mind (and even I need to work on this) is that you need to press/pull the trigger very gradually and with finesse. Once the trigger breaks, all press/pull effort must instantly stop (again, easier to do when pressing the Wheeler), or you risk measuring the effort to defeat the over-travel stop, which is basically "infinite"... just yanking on the gauge is not likely to provide accurate, repeatable results : )

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use the cheap $40 RCBS with the sliding indicator. I believe it has been discontinued. It’s accurate to about 10 oz.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I use the cheap $40 RCBS with the sliding indicator. I believe it has been discontinued. It’s accurate to about 10 oz.
    Definitely good to have one of those after an EMP, for example : )

Just like my hard-copy of the Oxford English Dictionary (20,000+ pages!). As I tell, people: "How are you going to look up definitions after the power grid goes down for the last time?" : )

Last edited:

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Good review DustyDog
    The Trigger Tech straights I have, have sort of a ball on the end of the shoe that makes indexing pretty consistent. My straights are all on bolt guns

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Good review DustyDog
    The Trigger Tech straights I have, have sort of a ball on the end of the shoe that makes indexing pretty consistent. My straights are all on bolt guns
    Looks good...

As long as you have a tactile reference point on the straights for firing/gauging, you're good to go. You could use the Lyman with a slight downward angle (just a couple of degrees) on the pull, and the hook-roller should stay right there against the ball-end. Now, if I can just win the lottery, I'll be picking up a TT Diamond... along with a rifle that can use one (still would probably go with curved, though... I'd feel naked with a straight trigger : )

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    it still makes me want to pick up the Wheeler a touch....the other is probably accurate enough.
    I normally wait until MidSouth runs them on sale and throws in free shipping to pick them up...1 Diamond for my Long Range and 2 Primarys for the hunting rifles so far. The Diamond actually came straight from Trigger Tech from The Rifle Expo discounts and free shipping.

Top Bottom