Target Sports

Thinking of making a hunting knife out of this.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Looks pretty decent, lots of potential. A friend of mine found an old sugar cane machete in his yard. I drilled out the pins, soaked it in vinegar a couple of days. I cleaned it up and made new handles with some black walnut. Instead of pins I drilled it out for small copper tubes that I flared on each side using ball bearing so they could be used with a lanyard. If you'll give me some measurements, I have more black walnut I'll send you. PM me with those & your address.

Capt. Dave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Looks pretty decent, lots of potential. A friend of mine found an old sugar cane machete in his yard. I drilled out the pins, soaked it in vinegar a couple of days. I cleaned it up and made new handles with some black walnut. Instead of pins I drilled it out for small copper tubes that I flared on each side using ball bearing so they could be used with a lanyard. If you'll give me some measurements, I have more black walnut I'll send you. PM me with those & your address.
    Show pics, or it didn’t happen .

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Show pics, or it didn’t happen
    Last time I upgraded my phone, I stupidly let the girl transfer my settings and info, I lost a couple hundred pictures. It was beautiful, because the handle was so long I was able to shape it with two palm swells, it could be held choked up close or at the end for some full force swings. I even inletted the handles so the full tang was hidden when it was epoxied.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Scrubbed it with a wire brush, 2nd dose of ospho on it now. Waffle mark in the middle or the blade and some missing edge near the bottom. Waffle might come out with a wack from a hammer or vise grips. Letting it set a bit.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Last edited:

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Scrubbed it with a wire brush, 2nd dose of ospho on it now. Waffle mark in the middle or the blade and some missing edge near the bottom. Waffle might come out with a wack from a hammer or vise grips. Letting it set a bit.
    30% vinegar will take care of it.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    My grandmother had a set for about 60 yrs. and everything but the paring knife is still being used . Sharp as heck .
    High carbon. I have a few of these too. One of my old school butcher knives is branded "LL Bean, Freeport Maine" and it's very cool... made even cooler because I found it in Milton Florida at an antique mall for like $5 :) I've been there many times and done a lot of work for the Freeport flagship store. For everyone that's seen it on top my truck, I bought my green canoe there in Freeport at the flagship store. It's more of a complex that covers the whole city of Freeport, and it is a real destination if you've never been. Anyways, I kept these butcher knives for if I ever get into reenacting and/or 19th century bushcraft. These kitchen knives became the first survival knives as people pushed westward and didn't have Tops Knives or such back then. One kitchen knife did it all back then because most men were dirt poor by todays standards... however these knives were just as capable at building shelter as they were gutting a bison or gutting a squirrel... or waging war on an Indian, Mexican, Mormon, Yankee, etc. They were the first multi-tools, really. A lot of kitchen knives went to war. Consider that next time you see one in an antique store or an estate sale and ask the little old lady at the door with the cash box if there is a story behind her grandfather's butcher knife. You might be surprised as to why the family held on to that knife for over a hundred years... I know some day somebody will buy my Buck that I went to the sandbox with, mainly because it's a solid indestructible bar of steel that will last for hundreds of years until somebody recycles it in WW9. I can only hope that a hundred years from now my story is still attached to it somehow.

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    P.S. always always always check the thrift store knife pile in the kitchen aisle. You never know what high dollar butcher knife you might find for only a dollar... I have picked up several of the $100 TV infomercial "it slices, it dices, it even does your laundry for you" knives for only $1

Top Bottom