Welcome to Gulf Coast Gun Forum

If you are in or near the Gulf Coast this is place for firearms buying/selling & discussions.

Register Log in

Stake your castle nuts!

Join GulfCoastGunForum For Free

FrommerStop

Reaction score
You can check for the carrier over-travel by inserting your BCG into the assembled lower w/RE. You should have about at least two U.S. quarters of a gap between the back of the gas key and the lower. Also good to check that your spring when fully compressed over the buffer still exposes the bumper pad on the rear, in addition to it being proper lenght.

Gunsmith/Instructor Chad A. from School of the American Rifle also talks about how if the threads on the lower, receiver extension, and castle nut pass class 3 gauging, that staking isn’t required, but still a good safeguard. He also mentions using Vibra-Tite VG3 in addition to staking on lower/RE/castle nut assemblies with a loose fit. Either way, you have to live the threads to get a proper torque reading. Plus it protects against corrosion on the aluminum/steel thread interface.

I haven’t thought of doing a reverse torque test on the castle nut, but that is something I have done on the gas key screws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I got a little out of sequence here.
The reverse torque test of the two gas key nuts was on the School of the American Rifle. It is what he does when doing a general verification of a bolt carrier.

DeadlyThreatDefense

Staff member
GCGF Supporter
Reaction score
I got a little out of sequence here.
The reverse torque test of the two gas key nuts was on the School of the American Rifle. It is what he does when doing a general verification of a bolt carrier.
I see that now. But I don’t see why you couldn’t attempt the same on the castle nut. I might have to try it.

SOTAR’s content is the best there is as far as YouTube gunsmithing/armorer work in the AR

Bowhntr6pt

Reaction score
I guess I'm odd man out. Been building these things since 2001, built countless duty rifles for guys/gals, over-see couple hundred plus AR's in our agency inventory for well over ten years, and have run God knows how many classes over the years and honestly I've yet to see a problem.

With that said, I suppose it's one of those "can't do any harm" by doing so and adds another layer of security.

Proper/quality parts, read that as not cheap shit, coupled with a proper installation protocol, and it's really a non-issue IMO. To each their own though.

SAWMAN

GCGF Supporter
Reaction score
Wish I would have thought to post something similar.
Possibly the guru's will believe you. --- SAWMAN

DeadlyThreatDefense

Staff member
GCGF Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I'm odd man out. Been building these things since 2001, built countless duty rifles for guys/gals, over-see couple hundred plus AR's in our agency inventory for well over ten years, and have run God knows how many classes over the years and honestly I've yet to see a problem.

With that said, I suppose it's one of those "can't do any harm" by doing so and adds another layer of security.

Proper/quality parts, read that as not cheap shit, coupled with a proper installation protocol, and it's really a non-issue IMO. To each their own though.
I highly respect your opinion on most things, and I’m not dismissing your personal experiences, but staking is part of proper installation protocol.

It’s part of the Military’s 23&P technical/field service manual, was taught as part of the factory certified armorers course I attended, is preached by industry professionals such as Will Larson, Roger Wang, etc, and is a staple on quality factory built rifles.

This is also not the first time I have had to personally fix this issue on someone else’s gun.

DeadlyThreatDefense

Staff member
GCGF Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered parts to do a build. If they ever come in then I am going to take you up on that. Be nice to get a review of my work.
Sure, I’d be happy to help any local patriot put together their AR.

Dan1612

Reaction score
Or don’t.
Nobody cares, and most people will never notice a difference.

Bowhntr6pt

Reaction score
I highly respect your opinion on most things, and I’m not dismissing your personal experiences, but staking is part of proper installation protocol.

It’s part of the Military’s 23&P technical/field service manual, was taught as part of the factory certified armorers course I attended, is preached by industry professionals such as Will Larson, Roger Wang, etc, and is a staple on quality factory built rifles.

This is also not the first time I have had to personally fix this issue on someone else’s gun.

Hey, I'm just one guy lol.

Reactions: FLT

DeadlyThreatDefense

Staff member
GCGF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm out of Panama City, and unless I find someone local I can trust, I'll see if you can do a barrel and flash suppressor install on an Faux 604 I'm getting parts together for.
Yeah I should be able to do that for you.

Toggle Sidebar